• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Good bourbon

bears... what is the difference between four roses single barrel OBSF and OESF?

Just different mashbills - Four Roses has ten mashbills that they use.

O = produced at Four Roses distillery in Lawrenceburg.
S = straight whiskey.
E = mashbills that is 75% corn, 20% rye, and 5% malted barley.
B = 60% corn, 35% rye, and 5% malted barley.
O, K, V, F, Q are the different yeast strains.

The standard 100 proof single barrel that you find on the shelf is the OBSV recipe. All other recipes are available in the private single barrel program at barrel strength.

Last edited:
I meant to list out the ten:

OBSV
OBSO
OBSQ
OBSF
OBSK

OESO
OESK
OESV
OESQ
OESF

I think my favorite is OESO. One private barrel we did is unbelievable. I only got one bottle though so I'm really nursing it.

Well buckets, I've been craving Four Roses all day now. Going with OBSK single barrel from a store down in Tallahassee tonight.

Last edited:
started out with a manhattan (or 3) made with bulleit rye, have moved to some woodford. all tasty.

i have a kind of ghetto manhattan recipe - 2 parts rye, 1 part sweet vermouth, about 1 part blood orange bitters. shake it all up and drink. I don't bother with fruit.

started out with a manhattan (or 3) made with bulleit rye, have moved to some woodford. all tasty.

i have a kind of ghetto manhattan recipe - 2 parts rye, 1 part sweet vermouth, about 1 part blood orange bitters. shake it all up and drink. I don't bother with fruit.

That's a lot of bitters!

Black Maple Hill is sourced whiskey, so you never know what you'll get in the bottle or from which distillery it comes. I've had BMH that is very good, BMH that is just ok, and BMH that is very bad and out of balance. Because of this I usually don't recommend it unless you know what you are getting. For me, the price is usually a little too high to take a chance on when I have other stuff that I know I like and will drink more often.

Yeah the dude that buys for the shop I got it from is friends with Paul Joseph so he only picks the best batches from BMH. I'm not sure if I would pick up Black Maple Hill bottles blindly for the reasons you described above. It is a crapshoot as you have no info on the "small batch" bottles at all. The bottle I picked up yesterday is very tasty, only complaint is that the flavor is very short, wish it would stick to your palate a bit longer.

Drinking redemption and dolin manhattens tonight with chocolate mole bitters and orange bitters. Tasty treats.

Drinking redemption and dolin manhattens tonight with chocolate mole bitters and orange bitters. Tasty treats.

Bitters are something that I don't have much knowledge about. I usually keep the standard Angostura, Peychaud's, and Fee Bros Orange Bitters. I haven't experimented with many of the other options out there. Any suggestions to look for?

Dolin is great though. Have the dry and the sweet in my fridge right now.

Last edited:
Bitters are something that I don't have much knowledge about. I usually keep the standard Angostura, Peychaud's, and Fee Bros Orange Bitters. I haven't experimented with may of the other options out there. Any suggestions to look for?

Dolin is great though. Have the dry and the sweet in my fridge right now.

The orange I'm using are the fee bros. I love their original ones too. Dolin is the way to go, and I'm glad you say that you have them in your fridge. Vermouth shouldn't be sitting open in a liquer cabinet for months at a time. I try to rotate my vermouth every month or so. Fresher vermouth makes a better manhattan.

The orange I'm using are the fee bros. I love their original ones too. Dolin is the way to go, and I'm glad you say that you have them in your fridge. Vermouth shouldn't be sitting open in a liquer cabinet for months at a time. I try to rotate my vermouth every month or so. Fresher vermouth makes a better manhattan.

Completely agree. I've had the Dolin open for a couple of months now, but it still tastes pretty fresh. I try to keep them rotated also.

Have you ever premade Manhattans? I made a batch in a 375ml bottle that I had sitting around and kept it in the freezer. The first few pours were good. I just poured the last glass and....it's ok. I think it loses something when it's not fresh, but maybe you've had better success...

Gotta keep the vermouth fresh. That's key.

My recipe is using bitters that are considerably less concentrated than the traditional little bottle of angostura. Will try to post picture of the bottle tonight.

Sent from my DROID RAZR using Tapatalk 2

By keeping it fresh do you just mean throwing it out after a month if there is any left?

Have you ever premade Manhattans? I made a batch in a 375ml bottle that I had sitting around and kept it in the freezer. The first few pours were good. I just poured the last glass and....it's ok. I think it loses something when it's not fresh, but maybe you've had better success...

No, I haven't. I've toyed with the idea of barrel aging manhattans, but I just haven't gotten around to it. High West sells a bottle of premade barrel aged manhattan which is actually pretty good, but I still prefer the ones that I make fresh.

By keeping it fresh do you just mean throwing it out after a month if there is any left?

Yes. Granted, there usually isn't much left, if any. Last night was the first time in many months that I actually poured some out, and even then it was just a few ounces worth.

No, I haven't. I've toyed with the idea of barrel aging manhattans, but I just haven't gotten around to it. High West sells a bottle of premade barrel aged manhattan which is actually pretty good, but I still prefer the ones that I make fresh.

In a few more months when I'm done aging the TOPO whiskey, I'm going to re-purpose the barrel for a batch or two of Manhattans and then use it one last time to barrel age a friend's home brew. Having a "ready made" cocktail that I can pour without having to do a lot of work sounds nice.

That reminds me that I need to put some work into perfecting my Manhattan recipe before I create a huge batch of them. Anyone want to post their favorite?

In a few more months when I'm done aging the TOPO whiskey, I'm going to re-purpose the barrel for a batch or two of Manhattans and then use it one last time to barrel age a friend's home brew. Having a "ready made" cocktail that I can pour without having to do a lot of work sounds nice.

That reminds me that I need to put some work into perfecting my Manhattan recipe before I create a huge batch of them. Anyone want to post their favorite?

I prefer mine perfect and up.

2 oz Bourbon or Rye
1/2 oz Dry Vermouth
1/2 oz Sweet Vermouth
dash of bitters

Stirred (never shaken)
Garnish with a lemon twist and marinated cherry

I'm going to take a trip down to Frougal Macdoogals next week, but what are folks recommendations for online retailers? How do prices typically compare after shipping? The Mecklenburg ABC just seems to have awful selection and finding good varieties of Vermouth or bitters at the local grocery store is challenging.

Last edited:
Back