• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Good bourbon

Got some Four Roses Small Batch, Herbie Hancock on vinyl, ACC Tournament on in the background, waiting for the lady friend to get in town.

You all are gentlemen and scholars.

And you all probably have many leather bound books and your homes smell of rich mahogany! ha.

But seriously, anybody here tried the new Angel's Envy? I posted about it a while back. It's a new bourbon created by the previous Master Distiller of Brown-Forman (Woodford Reserve, etc), Lincoln Harris. After it's aged it's finished in port wine barrels. It's pretty tasty, but it isn't cheap at around $50 a bottle. I'm in Charlotte and I have to shoot down to SC to get it right now.

Last edited:
And you all probably have many leather bound books and your homes smell of rich mahogany! ha.

But seriously, anybody here tried the new Angel's Envy? I posted about it a while back. It's a new bourbon created by the previous Master Distiller of Brown-Forman (Woodford Reserve, etc), Lincoln Harris. After it's aged it's finished in port wine barrels. It's pretty tasty, but it isn't cheap at around $50 a bottle. I'm in Charlotte and I have to shoot down to SC to get it right now.

I have a couple of bottles and think its pretty tasty but I wish they had bottled it at 90pf instead of 80. It just tastes a little too thin to me. I'd really like to try the cask strength bottle but just can't bring myself to pull the trigger because of the price they are asking.

Wes Henderson started the company and brought his dad Lincoln out of retirement. It will be interesting to see what they do over the next few years.

Last edited:
If anyone is out shopping and comes across a Willett barrel 836 please buy a bottle for yourself and another for me (and let me know where it is!). Of course, I'll definitely pay you back (PayPal)...it's supposed to be great!

I looked for the 836 yesterday, but didn't find it. My guy did say he was meeting with the Willett folks this week and would try and get some. I did pick up a 9 year bourbon that is one of the better Willets I've had. ~120 proof, so while it still has a kick, unlike the last one I had which was in the 130s, the heat doesn't overpower the flavors. My guy is getting in some 21 year this week that he is going to hold for me. Looking forward to that as I've heard it is really good.

I looked for the 836 yesterday, but didn't find it. My guy did say he was meeting with the Willett folks this week and would try and get some. I did pick up a 9 year bourbon that is one of the better Willets I've had. ~120 proof, so while it still has a kick, unlike the last one I had which was in the 130s, the heat doesn't overpower the flavors. My guy is getting in some 21 year this week that he is going to hold for me. Looking forward to that as I've heard it is really good.

The 836 was already sent to a store....I just don't know where.

When your guy meets with the guys from KBD do they tell him the provenance of the bourbon?

If anyone is out shopping and comes across a Willett barrel 836 please buy a bottle for yourself and another for me (and let me know where it is!). Of course, I'll definitely pay you back (PayPal)...it's supposed to be great!

The same goes for Willett barrel 1380.

Please PM me if you see:

Willett 836
Willett 1380

Last edited:
The 836 was already sent to a store....I just don't know where.

When your guy meets with the guys from KBD do they tell him the provenance of the bourbon?

I'm not sure, but I kind of doubt it. I will be going back in on Saturday since I'll be in the neighborhood and will ask.

Here's a question for the bourbon lovers on the board--I'm going to be in Lexington, KY for the NCAA Tournament starting Thursday. If Davidson beats Marquette, I'll be sticking around for the weekend, and thought about doing a distillery tour on the day off on Friday. Any recommendations for a good tour somewhere close to Lexington?

Here's a question for the bourbon lovers on the board--I'm going to be in Lexington, KY for the NCAA Tournament starting Thursday. If Davidson beats Marquette, I'll be sticking around for the weekend, and thought about doing a distillery tour on the day off on Friday. Any recommendations for a good tour somewhere close to Lexington?

Four Roses, Woodford Reserve, and wild turkey are all close to Lexington. Lexington was our home base when we went on the Bourbon trail for my bachelors party.

Four Roses, Woodford Reserve, and wild turkey are all close to Lexington. Lexington was our home base when we went on the Bourbon trail for my bachelors party.

Jim Beam, and makers mark our little further out. Of the 3 that I mentioned earlier, I would suggest Four Roses or Woodford Reserve.

Definitely Four Roses. They usually have an outstanding Gift Shop only release (in addition to their regular stuff in the gift shop). I've never done the Woodford tour but I've heard it is picturesque.

Buffalo Trace is in Frankfort...not too far away.

Buffalo Trace in Frankfort.

Definitely Four Roses. They usually have an outstanding Gift Shop only release (in addition to their regular stuff in the gift shop). I've never done the Woodford tour but I've heard it is picturesque.

Buffalo Trace is in Frankfort...not too far away.

Woodford is really picturesque but it's also kinda sterile. Four Roses has godawful (IMO) Spanish architecture. The Trace is perfect aesthetically.

any opinions on Noah's Mill and Rowan's Creek? I always see both in the store but don't know much about either.

Back