• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Good bourbon

I'm going to take a trip down to Frougal Macdoogals next week, but what are folks recommendations for online retailers? How do prices typically compare after shipping? The Mecklenburg ABC just seems to have awful selection and finding good varieties of Vermouth or bitters at the local grocery store is challenging.

For all I heard about Froogal MacDoogals, I thought it was just OK. They didn't have anything I haven't seen before. Of course, in Charleston we have some pretty decent package stores so it might certainly be a step up from the Mecklenburg ABC stores.

Anyone like Booker's? I had some at my hotel bar this weekend and it was good. I was fairly drunk, though.

I like it but it is overpriced imo

Yeah, I've never actually looked for it in the store. This old Meryll Lynch portfolio manager bought me and TWToy a round because he liked us. We sat at the Tampa Intercontinental for 4 hours waiting for my parents. It was a good time.

If anyone is out shopping and comes across a Willett barrel 836 please buy a bottle for yourself and another for me (and let me know where it is!). Of course, I'll definitely pay you back (PayPal)...it's supposed to be great!

Just bought my first OW Antique 107 today. Figured I had to after all of the love for it on here. More expensive that other have posted though, at $26.

ouch, i found a place that has it for $20. needless to say, they see me about once a week.

They have a random March sale on OWA for $20 (normally $23) at the Mecklenberg ABC store I went to.

So I am trying to decide what signature bourbon drink I should have at my wedding this September. Beyond the obvious bourbon and a splash of water what would you wise bourbon drinkers like to see if you were attending?

So I am trying to decide what signature bourbon drink I should have at my wedding this September. Beyond the obvious bourbon and a splash of water what would you wise bourbon drinkers like to see if you were attending?

Classics like a Manhattan or Old Fashioned are always good. Just keep them simple and classic. Bartenders that try to modify manhattans and old fashioned cocktails usually just mess up a good thing.

First, discdude, congrats on the wedding, dude! Is the lady from Wake?

Second, I know that Manhattan and Old Fashioned are two bourbon staples, but I can't stand them. Give me a mint julep, bourbon rickey, whiskey sour, or sazerac any day of the week.

Second, I know that Manhattan and Old Fashioned are two bourbon staples, but I can't stand them. Give me a mint julep, bourbon rickey, whiskey sour, or sazerac any day of the week.

I love mint juleps, but can't drink them after Derby Day...it's just not right!

I haven't had a rickey in a long time, but it's great in the summer time. Very refreshing.

Where is it? If it might still be hot, the rickey is a great idea. The liquors and mixers at my wedding (IIRC) were Maker's, Tanqueray Rangpur, vodka, and rum with ginger ale, club soda, tonic, and cola. Didn't do a signature drink but I think it worked out ok.

Thanks! Alas she is not from Wake, rather she is from my hometown in PA. Although, she is certainly a converted Deac fan as a result of our union (for her an unknowingly tortuous decision).

Where is it? If it might still be hot, the rickey is a great idea. The liquors and mixers at my wedding (IIRC) were Maker's, Tanqueray Rangpur, vodka, and rum with ginger ale, club soda, tonic, and cola. Didn't do a signature drink but I think it worked out ok.

The wedding is the weekend after Labor Day. It will be hot, but not unbearable.

I love mint juleps, but can't drink them after Derby Day...it's just not right!

I haven't had a rickey in a long time, but it's great in the summer time. Very refreshing.

To all, I was thinking rickey as well. I will have to contemplate. It is certainly not the worst decision one has to make in life!

Last edited:
Congrats discdude!

I'm sitting on the deck of our rental cabin, sipping some OWA 107. Life is good.
ute7ene5.jpg

Back