• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Good bourbon

It's so good. I've had a good bourbon day. My brother and I had a pour of his Pappy 23 earlier to celebrate the birth of his first born. Had a pour of my Willett 8 year rye when I got home. Then shared a great beer, Alesmith Speedway stout, with a friend. Ending the night with a nice pour of Stagg Jr. now.

Sounds like a good Saturday! What bottle did you find at your grandfathers? The picture didn't come through.

view.php

So to all the bourbon people on this board, I found this bottle at my grandfathers house recently. it is unopened and still has the seal on it. I realize it probably isn't worth a lot but I think it's pretty neat and i should probably drink it right?

It is beyond neat, and you have just found your "very special occasion" bottle. I am talking birth of kids, your team wins the Super Bowl kind of bottle. That is what I did with a bottle of Old Forester that was my grandfathers.

view.php

So to all the bourbon people on this board, I found this bottle at my grandfathers house recently. it is unopened and still has the seal on it. I realize it probably isn't worth a lot but I think it's pretty neat and i should probably drink it right?

It is beyond neat, and you have just found your "very special occasion" bottle. I am talking birth of kids, your team wins the Super Bowl kind of bottle. That is what I did with a bottle of Old Forester that was my grandfathers.

Sounds like a good Saturday! What bottle did you find at your grandfathers? The picture didn't come through.

Sorry about the picture. it is a bottle of Jim Beam labeled Beam's trophy 110 months old. The bottle is an elephant. Made for I believe the Republican Convention sometime in the 70's.

which store was your go-to in Charleston?

Bottles, Dantes, Egans and Clareys.

Charleston market seemed very insular. Still figuring out this Denver market, but the store that held the Weller 12 is a new store for me; as in I've never bought from them before which is why getting the call for a held bottle was so surprising. That shop will be my go-to though from now on.

I'm sure it's nasty, but for some reason I'd like to sample a shot of Crown Royal Vanilla just b/c of the commercial. But doubt that it's really "so good".

I'm sure it's nasty, but for some reason I'd like to sample a shot of Crown Royal Vanilla just b/c of the commercial. But doubt that it's really "so good".

It sucks to see Crown Royal cheapen itself with these flavorings. Crown Royal is good stuff on the rocks. I'm sure they have lost some market share. But ultimately they are making the same mistake Jaguar did when it tried to sell cheap small sedans (thanks Ford MoCo), cheapening a premium brand to chase the moment.

What are folks thoughts on Hudson Whiskeys?

I sampled the Four Grain, Manhattan Rye, and Maple Cask Rye last night, and Four Grain was definitely my favorite.

Ehh...not a fan. Bourbon aged in small barrels and pulled after only a couple of years (at most) can yield a very harsh product. Unless something has changed in the last couple of years I'll never buy Hudson again.

Pappy special release email today from Mecklenburg County ABC. Email came at 1:02, and I didn't see/respond until 1:18.

I ranked my year priorities as 12, 20, 15, 23. Hopefully less people will go for the 12. I think they sold out in less than 3 minutes last year, but supposedly weren't accepting reserve orders from people who set up an auto reply this year (smart/sneaky).

Anybody else give it a go? I think they also typically do a BTAC release around this time of year also.

Pappy special release email today from Mecklenburg County ABC. Email came at 1:02, and I didn't see/respond until 1:18.

I ranked my year priorities as 12, 20, 15, 23. Hopefully less people will go for the 12. I think they sold out in less than 3 minutes last year, but supposedly weren't accepting reserve orders from people who set up an auto reply this year (smart/sneaky).

Anybody else give it a go? I think they also typically do a BTAC release around this time of year also.

I did. My reply was sent at 1:10 PM. We'll see. Not getting my hopes up.

Looking back at the first 20 pages of this thread from back in 2011, and I think everyone here would love to see those prices for bourbon again. 25 dollar bottles from 2011 are 50 dollar bottles now. It is very depressing, so I suggest that you don't look back.

Can't wait for our OG label bourbon.

Looking back at the first 20 pages of this thread from back in 2011, and I think everyone here would love to see those prices for bourbon again. 25 dollar bottles from 2011 are 50 dollar bottles now. It is very depressing, so I suggest that you don't look back.

We have distribution news. Check the bourbon forum.

Yours is on the way to Winston right now. I don't know if you'll be at the game so I'll leave it with Tsy for you to coordinate. I figured it would be much easier that way then for us to work it out from Atlanta.

No Pappy this year (probably ever). Mecklenburg County ABC received over 2,300 email requests in the 30 minutes after the release. I really wish they would restrict it to people who live in Mecklenburg County, and think it's pretty ridiculous that they don't.

No Pappy this year (probably ever). Mecklenburg County ABC received over 2,300 email requests in the 30 minutes after the release. I really wish they would restrict it to people who live in Mecklenburg County, and think it's pretty ridiculous that they don't.

Yea, I responded to the e-mail at 1:07pm, only 5 minutes after it was received and didn't get any. Ugh. I was lucky enough to score some 20 year 2 years ago. I agree I think its crazy they don't restrict to Meck County.

Found this mini bottle at my Grandfathers house today. He passed in 1994 so it was bottled sometime before then i would have to think. Gonna drink it one of these days.

IMG_1819.jpg

Found this mini bottle at my Grandfathers house today. He passed in 1994 so it was bottled sometime before then i would have to think. Gonna drink it one of these days.

IMG_1819.jpg

What's the little number on the lower left? That's usually the year. Is the UPC code 86259? If so, then it's from National Distillers and before Beam bought the brand - I think beam bought it in 92 or 93.

Last edited:
Lower left says F-83 and lower right says F24704A

Guessing that means it's from 1983?

Back