• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Good business expressions

eefcdd1a193f94b064c1c190b244cf2f.jpg

Alright I'm starting the meeting recording so no more cursing!

excludes people without thumbs?
The original expression "rule of thumb" referred to the size of the switch that a husband could use to beat his wife. I didn't know that. And I still don't really care.

I understand and appreciate the desire to use language that doesn't stigmatize mental disorders and I do think we use too much violent-based language, but some of this is just ridiculous.

Some terms from a consulting company staffing agreement: Executive alignment, key escalation point, implementation workstreams, and future state process. Let's not forget the KPI's people.

today i was on a call and an old guy said (in a business development context) that he was carpet bombing like a general attacking okinawa. CRINGE

Feel like I've avoided most of these, but the ones that bug me are the forced acronyms-like Hear, Empathize, Apologize, Respond, Thank.

On a semi-related note, I recently had to undergo training to learn a new HR platform. Fairly lengthy series of videos full of cartoon office people sitting casually so you knew that they were cool. They kept pushing us to record Time and Attendance, which they chose to helpfully abbreviate T and A.
One time, the dry erase marker in my classroom was dry and one of my students pulled out four markers and asked me if I wanted to borrow one.
I had a student drop a laser clicker in front of my office today. Apparently, jumping up and down to point to point out a triple point on a phase diagram looked awkward.

The original expression "rule of thumb" referred to the size of the switch that a husband could use to beat his wife. I didn't know that. And I still don't really care.

I understand and appreciate the desire to use language that doesn't stigmatize mental disorders and I do think we use too much violent-based language, but some of this is just ridiculous.
I heard that this was a myth?

My only source for the credibility of this is from Boondocks Saints.

So very very credible.

Feel like I've avoided most of these, but the ones that bug me are the forced acronyms-like Hear, Empathize, Apologize, Respond, Thank.

On a semi-related note, I recently had to undergo training to learn a new HR platform. Fairly lengthy series of videos full of cartoon office people sitting casually so you knew that they were cool. They kept pushing us to record Time and Attendance, which they chose to helpfully abbreviate T and A.

I had a student drop a laser clicker in front of my office today. Apparently, jumping up and down to point to point out a triple point on a phase diagram looked awkward.

I heard that this was a myth?

Ooh, now I’m going to have to do some research. Will report back.

Not a good expression, but I get annoyed when someone says “I’m just talking out loud” when they mean “I’m just thinking out loud” It happens more than it should

JFC i was just on a call with a turd brained investment banker who gave me the “…I’m sorry can we double click on that topic for a second?…”

Back