• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Good business expressions

I've heard of verticals like sections on websites, usually news sites and the vertical has a particular focus or is curated by someone.

same

but this dude is talking about my work in affordable housing
we use the term Vertical all the time. it's how we define areas of business. Healthcare Vertical, Manufacturing Vertical, Finance Vertical. We use it in lieu of industry when defining how to segment sales targets or territories or area of focus

we use the term Vertical all the time. it's how we define areas of business. Healthcare Vertical, Manufacturing Vertical, Finance Vertical. We use it in lieu of industry when defining how to segment sales targets or territories or area of focus
that's why it's a Good Business Expression

i'd say it's "vertical" because you view business segments in columns in operating reports.

mainly asking because you say you use it in lieu of industry, and why that is
As I understand it, when you have a software product you can either build/expand to solve more horizontal use cases (e.g. dropbox targeting consumers and businesses) or add functionality to build upon your existing userbase and expand your vertical(s), e.g. Box.com targeting the "Discovery" vertical by adding better metadata tracking and early-case assessment tools.

Companies like Box and Dropbox actually tend to do both, so that's probably a bad example.

These terms are also used for software scaling directly (e.g. ability to handle load). When your demand increases you can either expand your ability to handle it w/vertical scaling (adding more power to your existing nodes/instances) or horizontal scaling (add more of the same machines... e.g. doubling the amount of servers we have handling ogboards traffic). I wouldn't be surprised if it was borrowed/influenced directly by that (but can't confirm which usage came first tbh).

"let's refactor this" - I don't really know what this means but I just do some stuff and everyone seems happy with it

"let's refactor this" - I don't really know what this means but I just do some stuff and everyone seems happy with it
This is another software term!

To refactor code is to change it's design or structure w/out changing the existing functionality. Frequently this is done to make future changes easier, improve readability/comprehension, or improve performance.

You will see this a lot in start-ups (really everywhere lol) because you're rushing code out to address what you assume is the business requirement, but over time the software grows in unexpected ways, and you need to refactor your existing code to better align/function within that.

This is another software term!

To refactor code is to change it's design or structure w/out changing the existing functionality. Frequently this is done to make future changes easier, improve readability/comprehension, or improve performance.

You will see this a lot in start-ups (really everywhere lol) because you're rushing code out to address what you assume is the business requirement, but over time the software grows in unexpected ways, and you need to refactor your existing code to better align/function within that.
This makes a lot of sense. I work for a tech company but don't actually work on the tech itself and this phrase gets thrown around a lot on non-tech things. I've always taken it as "let's change this thing without changing its goal/function" so I'm glad to know my read on it is right.

Bout to start griping with folks about my upcoming deliverable dates, as if I’m a postman

Back