• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Google Chromecast

Has anyone used xbmc with the chromecast. They have all the latest movies and TV shows and even live sports like the nba playoffs and the last Mayweather fight

Chromecast is now supporting the WatchESPN app just in time for the World Cup!

It's really nice too. The picture quality when I tested it last night was quite good.

$35 is a great deal. Don't see the benefit for Smart TV owners. Apps are weak (they are weak in the TV industry in general but they are lacking for Chromecast) and hopefully they'll be getting more soon.

BTTT for this.

We've got a LG smart tv, with the Netflix and Hulu apps already on board. Is there any benefit to picking up a Roku or Chromecast? We're seriously thinking of dropping down to a basic cable tv package for live sports and stream the rest of our content, especially with HBO's new announcement.

Chromecast relies on mobile asks, which are updated way more frequently than apps on a smart TV. Also, I'd guess that the Wi-Fi connection and set up is way easier with a Chromecast

Chromecast relies on mobile asks, which are updated way more frequently than apps on a smart TV. Also, I'd guess that the Wi-Fi connection and set up is way easier with a Chromecast

The first part of your post is probably very true. However, as to ease of set up, getting my new TV with netflix app working was as simple as inputting the passwords for my wifi and then for my netflix account. I guess it was somewhat harder simply because I had to do the input with a remote control as opposed to a keyboard on a tablet.

We use the netflix app on the main TV all the time but we also have a secondary TV without apps, I am about to set that up with my Chromecast to get netflix in there.

Chromecast and Roku have support for a lot more content, like WatchESPN and HBO GO that wouldn't necessarily be on the smart TV. Content on the Chromecast and Roku will grow faster as well.

I read somewhere over the summer that Chromecast was going to have an update possibly this year to allow for cell-signals to be received. I am saying that wrong, but basically you run WatchESPN on your phone and then send that signal to the Chromecast. Anybody know anything about that?

We've got a LG smart tv, with the Netflix and Hulu apps already on board. Is there any benefit to picking up a Roku or Chromecast? We're seriously thinking of dropping down to a basic cable tv package for live sports and stream the rest of our content, especially with HBO's new announcement.

1) More apps.
2) Far more likely that new apps will be added to Chromecast while your smart TV is unlikely to get any updates.
3) Chomecast is much easier to use, IMO, than the cludgy UI's on smart TV's. Many Android phones have IR blasters as well, which means I don't use my remote at all. I use my phone to cast and to control the volume.

I read somewhere over the summer that Chromecast was going to have an update possibly this year to allow for cell-signals to be received. I am saying that wrong, but basically you run WatchESPN on your phone and then send that signal to the Chromecast. Anybody know anything about that?

Why wouldn't you just use wifi in your home to do that instead of broadcasting over the cell network?

Our setup is simple. We took an old iPhone4 that we had. We connect it to our home network and install apps like WatchESPN, Netflix, Hulu (which sucks for the most part), Youtube and then effectively use it as a remote control for our tv. We stream everything from that phone over the wifi.

Our latest enhancement was setting up a media server using Plex and streaming movies through the chromecast using the Plex App.

Would really love to see native support for Amazon Prime and Chromecast.

Would really love to see native support for Amazon Prime and Chromecast.

would you, liquid racist?
160px-Washington_Redskins_logo.svg.png

Why wouldn't you just use wifi in your home to do that instead of broadcasting over the cell network?

Our setup is simple. We took an old iPhone4 that we had. We connect it to our home network and install apps like WatchESPN, Netflix, Hulu (which sucks for the most part), Youtube and then effectively use it as a remote control for our tv. We stream everything from that phone over the wifi.

Our latest enhancement was setting up a media server using Plex and streaming movies through the chromecast using the Plex App.

Purely for tailgating, I have a trailer with a TV and a Chromecast that is currently going unused when I am at Groves but want desperately to get WatchESPN on there without buying any satellite hardware.

Purely for tailgating, I have a trailer with a TV and a Chromecast that is currently going unused when I am at Groves but want desperately to get WatchESPN on there without buying any satellite hardware.

You just need to setup a WiFi network via your phone or a hotspot. Your Chromecast will connect right up to that. Noted, you'll need a stable 4G signal as well.

You just need to setup a WiFi network via your phone or a hotspot. Your Chromecast will connect right up to that. Noted, you'll need a stable 4G signal as well.

I will try that on Saturday, I had inquired with them about that a while ago but was told the hotspot signal was not strong enough to work. Now the only problem will be getting my wife to the tailgate on time with her unlimited data phone.

Back