• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Grass or Booze?

We can share the women we can share the wine

that's in much better taste than skeet skeet skeet all over the bitch's face.

0fc.gif

Not if you are telling them there's nothing wrong with a 12 year old smoking pot.

ETA--I'm in favor of nationwide legalization of weed, just not for people who are 12 years old.

where on earth do you see anyone saying that's what they want?

where on earth do you see anyone saying that's what they want?

No one is directly advocating this, but the plain and obvious consequence of a policy of "honesty"--where 12 year olds are told there is nothing wrong with a little weed--is that more 12 year olds are going to try weed.

I support legalization, but it is attitudes like these that give me pause. Adults should have the freedom to get fucked up as often as they see fit, but children should be discouraged in the strongest ways possible from engaging in harmful behaviors until they have the maturity to appreciate the consequences of their actions.

No one is directly advocating this, but the plain and obvious consequence of a policy of "honesty"--where 12 year olds are told there is nothing wrong with a little weed--is that more 12 year olds are going to try weed.

I support legalization, but it is attitudes like these that give me pause. Adults should have the freedom to get fucked up as often as they see fit, but children should be discouraged in the strongest ways possible from engaging in harmful behaviors until they have the maturity to appreciate the consequences of their actions.

you can't just discourage kids from doing something because "it's bad for you." ...ok, well you do it. "you're too young." says who? you? but you/my friends/other adults do it and it's fine.
You have to give kids credit - they are smart, and they see through shit. Present all of the facts, and then hope to god (or whatever floats your boat) that you taught them well the rest of the way through their childhood that they'll make good decisions based on reason and consequences. They might try something, but hopefully they'll consider where they are, who they are with, and what could come of it. If you just say "DON'T DO THAT" but offer no supporting reasons as to why, they have no real reason not to do it if they think they can hide it from you (since at that point you're the only reason they have not to do it, so obviously it'll be cool as long as mom/dad don't find out).

I suppose I shouldn't have an opinion because I have no kids and clearly can't know anything about raising them... but I give a shitload of credit to my parents for never assuming I would just blindly listen to whatever they said and because they actually gave me real reasons to do/not do things.

pops told me at a pretty early age "keep your nose clean and never take a pill not given to you by a doctor"

good enough :noidea:

My 20 year old brother got me stoned when I was 12 -- probably not the best idea. I then got drunk for the first time when I was 15/16 and he bought me a sixer of Killian's Red and I only made it through three. What was the question again?

Not sure what to say when the time comes, but I have observed that the people I've met who have gotten baked with their parents have all been kind of a little off.

Probably not the fact that they got baked with their parents, but rather the fact that their parents parent in that way that causes them to be a little off.

My 20 year old brother got me stoned when I was 12 -- probably not the best idea. I then got drunk for the first time when I was 15/16 and he bought me a sixer of Killian's Red and I only made it through three. What was the question again?

Explains so much.

Back