• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

grayson Allan winning shot against UVA should not have counted

That sounds ridiculous. I'm glad the rules of basketball have evolved and improved to include a shot clock.

To also give another version of how all these rules have evolved, especially with the hash mark that used to be known when it first came in as the 5 second line, officials had to stand out there like traffic cops, putting an arm out one direction or the other. It all depended on which team had to force the action. That rule was partially set up by a game I was at back in early 1971 when unranked UVa led by Barry Parkhill beat 2nd ranked South Carolina [Frank McGuire] led by Roche, Ribock & Owens. Parkhill would dribble a majority of the game before any 5 second rule existed. UVa was down 49-48 with 56 seconds left & they basically ran out the clock & Parkhill hit a 17 footer from the right side to win it 50-49. It wasn't long after that the hash marks came in as a new rule.

Basically the team trailing had to come out within 6 feet legal guarding position within 5 seconds. The official put the defense on notice by putting his "traffic cop" arm up towards the defense--the basket--with that arm & counting 5 seconds with the other arm. Defense came up, count stopped. Game could be played all night I guess but it kept teams from playing a passive zone if they were down If the team did not come out, they got 1 warning, after that it was an automatic T for the game. If the score was tied, the onus was on the defense. If the offense was trailing, the "traffic cop arm" would go out toward the offense and they have to progress the ball past the hash mark in 5 seconds. If not, then the official stepped out, warned the team to play ball & put his arm up & started the count with the other hand. Again 1 official warning in the book, then on the 2nd it was a T on the coach I believe. So that is what would have happened to Wake in the 1975 ACC tourney against UNC. I was in chemistry lab as a freshman & did not see it first hand.

To further progress on with the rules, high school still has the same 5 second calls on the hold, dribble and hold but the hash marks mean nothing except the official marking for the start of the coaching box. There is no shot clock in North Carolina. No arms go out on any "traffic cop" calls except in both high school or college for a free throw lane violation by the defense in case the FT is missed and another one is to be shot. Most of us remember the 1982 ACC tourney final where the shot clock came into being--the UNC-UVa game where Dean held the ball against Ralph Sampson and Terry Holland would not make his team come out and play defense, and UNC beat UVa 47-45, like they usually did when it counted, and Terry Holland screamed to the high heavens. The next year we got the 45 second shot clock [and 3 pt line] as an experimentation by the ACC & totally then adopted by the NCAA for the 1984-85 season. So for those of you youngsters, that is a little of what I remember.

I think you meant to ask yourself this

There is no such thing as "the rest of the board". Are you so insecure that you feel the need to have group support here? I agree with many posters on these boards and I disagree with many posters on these boards. Do you feel safer when wrapping yourself in a group cocoon for moral support? Just stand on your own two feet.

I've gotten into it with bkf plenty but agree that RChildress obviously loves following him around trying to pick a fight.

Back