• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Greatest cover songs (better than originals)

COUNTING CROWS version of Big Yellow Taxi
Not really a cover, but Whitney Houston!s Star Pangled Banner at the Superbowl sets the standard

since I've been on my Van Halen kick lately, I was listening to Diver Down today, which has a ton of cover songs. Where Have All The Good Times Gone, Pretty Woman, and Dancing In The Streets are the big ones. Anyway, always liked Where Have All The Good Times gone the best of those 3, but today it struck to me how freaking brilliant the guitar and rhythm is in Dancing In The Streets (especially when compared to the remake that came out a few years later with Jagger and Bowie). It makes an otherwise pretty generic pop song interesting.

Kind of surprised no one mentioned anything of RATM last album Renegades. specifically Ghost of Tom Joad, for me at least.

I really can't stand GnR's cover of either Knockin' or Live And Let Die. I don't think either particularly meshes with the type of music that GnR played.

Clapton's version is much better.

Last edited:

Shame on all of you. This is obviously the answer.

This isn't bad either.

Jimi's "Castles" is music perfection that can't be topped. I appreciate the effort on the part of RHCP, but it falls short.

Some absolutely horrible submissions in this thread.

From Moonzzz's first post right on to RHCP.

Yes. Jimi's version of Watchtower is the best. No, CCR's 11-minute version of Grapevine is not really worth listening to, especially when compared to Marvin Gaye's remake of the same song which was originally released by Gladys Knight and the Pips.

Nothing Compares 2U is a great answer, as I was going to post it myself.

Tangled up in Blue is a bad answer. Corollary to that, I have a fraternity brother, who I believe Moonzzz and Chris both know, who listened to almost nothing but the Dead and whatever crap we were playing in the Deke house basement. The first time he heard Iko-Iko by the Dixie Cups, he freaked out that somebody had taken a Dead song and ruined it.

Hard to Handle is a good answer.

The Counting Crows version of Big Yellow Taxi is an abomination.

Good answers by DSD.

Buckley's Hallelujah is better than Cohen's. kd lang does a bang up job with the song too.

Hard to tell if rj is serious with some of his answers.

I'll add Woodstock as covered by CSN, originally performed by Joni Mitchell.

I still think the best Star-Spangled Banner is Marvin Gaye's.

Back