• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Greatest cover songs (better than originals)

COUNTING CROWS version of Big Yellow Taxi
Not really a cover, but Whitney Houston!s Star Pangled Banner at the Superbowl sets the standard

Holy shit this is the worst post in the history of posts.

Aretha Franklin - Respect
Whitney Houston - The Greatest Love of All

Most don't realize John Prine wrote this.

Few know that Philly bar legend Robert Hazard wrote, performed and recorded this before Cyndi did it.

I'd bet that 98+% of the world doesn't realize Otis Redding wrote and recorded Respect before Aretha did.

All Along the Watchtower. I still can't wrap my head around the fact that Dylan wrote it.

The original Cylon version was my favorite (ignore this post if it causes a "whu?" reaction, not worth explaining).

I dig the Foo Fighters' cover of Baker Street, though I'm not sure I'm ready to say it's better than the original.

No offense to the late, great Otis Redding but The Black Crowes' version of "Hard to Handle" is the jam. Heard it at lunch today.

JGB's Tangled up in Blue and The Harder They Come.

Tom Jones is Welsh, for the record.

I dig the Foo Fighters' cover of Baker Street, though I'm not sure I'm ready to say it's better than the original.

My wife hates the saxophone, so I'll play the opening on loop occasionally while she's in the shower to start her day off right.

Here;s another great cover of While My Guitar Gently Weeps

Although this may not be better than the originals, it's outstanding. What still mazes me is that Joss Stone was about 18 when she did this. No 18/19 yo should be able to sing like this.

Back