• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Greatest cover songs (better than originals)

All Along the Watchtower is a great call, but my pick is Jimi in reverse.

Stevie Ray Vaughan’s version of Little Wing is some of the greatest guitar playing ever.

Credence Clearwater Revival had some great covers. Their versions of “I put a spell on you” and “good Golly Miss Molly” were awesome. Hendrix’s “watchtower” and his version of “hey joe” were probably better than the originals.

Has anyone mentioend Fugees' Killing me Softly? I also used to love Metallica's version of Whisky in the Jar.

Has anyone mentioend Fugees' Killing me Softly? I also used to love Metallica's version of Whisky in the Jar.

I know it's trendy to shit on Metallica, but that covers album was pretty decent. I'll put up their cover of Astronomy as the best of the bunch.

I liked the Fugees alright, but not sure anyone can top Roberta Flack.

Though the Donny Hathaway mention and this make me think of Roberta Flack, and I really like this trippy version of Stevie's "I Can See The Sun In Late December," she does.

She also does a cool version of Ewan MacColl's "First Time Ever I Saw Your Face" on her amazing first record First Take, but my favorite cover of that is by Bert Jansch.

That would be North Carolina's OWN Roberta Flack. Black Mountain.

The Ike and Tina Turner version of "Proud Mary" deserves consideration as the greatest cover taking a song in a completely different direction.

A few I like, dunno if they're better than the originals though:

That Neil Young cover makes me think of this other one (I guess first recorded with Buffalo Springfield).

I also love Bert Jansch's cover of Jackson C. Frank's "Blues Run The Game."

Will Oldham did a whole album of cover songs with Tortoise. It had some great tracks. Thunder road, was especially good. It's hard to say better than the original, but it has such a different vibe, it's almost a different song. Same with the Minute Men's It's expected I'm gone.

Back