• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Grobe and CO Shameful (socaldeac's thoughts thread)

Franklin is a great hire for Vandy and I started a thread about this last year. I think he is instructive of what we need to do in 2016.

The air was out of this ballon after the Maryland loss. Hate to say it but true. Clemson just beat us again. Coaches should have done a better job heading this off, but they can't play.

this was embarassing because we did'nt execute - lack of focus, and when we don't execute what we do - we are succeptable to being manhandled.

I don't like this made for TV/ intra conference match-up.

We were just completely outplayed, outclassed by Vanderbilt. Vanderbilt. Really.

Franklin is a great hire for Vandy and I started a thread about this last year. I think he is instructive of what we need to do in 2016.

The air was out of this ballon after the Maryland loss. Hate to say it but true. Clemson just beat us again. Coaches should have done a better job heading this off, but they can't play.

this was embarassing because we did'nt execute - lack of focus, and when we don't execute what we do - we are succeptable to being manhandled.

I don't like this made for TV/ intra conference match-up.

The season ending series with Vandy was stupid from the start, and this week showed why. The game was meaningless from any standpoint other than pride, which we played with none of because our players and fans don't care about this forced "rivalry." Meanwhile, there are meaningful games being played all around the country, as they should be.

Grobe is starting to remind me of the end of Odom's tenure. He has taken us to heights never reached before, including ACC championship for the first time in forever. He took the program to a new level, both in terms of achievement and of expectation. But he seems to have reached his peak, his ceiling if you will.

We know how the odom story ended, and that is where I think the stories.will differ. There would.likely be a revolt among alums if grobe met Odom's fate.

I'm sorry, but as long as we finish 12th every year in recruiting rankings, make a bowl every other or every third year, have a shot at making the ACCCG game occasionally, and cannot pull a big name coach who could make us title contenders every year, Grobe is our guy. Besides, every player I've talked with has said it's more about the position coaches and coordinators than the HC.

He is officially two games away from .500 for a twenty year career. The last three years have seen a pattern of being out coached. It is time to upgrade the coach much like how we have upgraded the stadium, recruiting, the academic programs.

We now pay a coach $3M plus a year. And, history is clear he will provide a .500 record.

Can you think of any other coach in any other program so revered for winning 1/2 his games over a career?

I can’t comment on today’s gave with Vandy as I was watching my wife’s alma mater UVA getting hammered by Virginia Tech.

To put things into context, Ohio University had won 17 games the 10 years prior to Jim Grobes arrival. While a beautiful campus, it is 90 minutes away from the airport which makes recruiting and attracting decent visiting teams difficult. We had a high school quality weight room and were on the verge of being booted out of Division 1 with our fudged attendance numbers.

I never dreamed I would see Ohio beat Minnesota and Maryland on the road and lose heartbreakers to NC State and a top 10 Kansas State team on the road. KSU needed an 80 yard punt return and 52 yard Gramatica field goal to squeak by.

During Grobe’s tenure at Ohio, the graduation rate went up and like Wake Forest, he was able to get the money needed to upgrade second rate facilities.

Frank Solich has done a wonderful job with the Ohio program on the field, but his DUI arrest and so many player problems off the field have been an embarrassment and has tarnished the success on the field. I can’t remember Jim Grobe ever doing anything off the field to embarrass any team he was coaching. Having grown up in Columbus, this is reinforced by the shame that Jim Tressel brought to O$U.

Coach Grobe overcame the death of his father in high school and the death of his mentor/father figure Ray Hagley in the Marshall plane crash. We can debate football X’s and O’s, but he has proved at Ohio and Wake that his character and passion for people will get the maximum out of the majority of his players.

Excluding the wine and cheese crowd at UVA, most UVA fans/alumni who know anything about football would have loved to have Jim Grobe instead of Al Groh.

As a graduate of Ohio, I would be thrilled to have Grobe at Ohio next year or any year in the future even if Lobo was calling the plays. Ohio University’s football program was so much better after coach Grobe left and whenever Jim Grobe leaves Wake Forest, I think most agree they will be able to say the same.

We know how the odom story ended, and that is where I think the stories.will differ. There would.likely be a revolt among alums if grobe met Odom's fate.
Yes. Grobe has a great personality and is extremely well liked. He's going nowhere unless he decides to leave.

I can’t comment on today’s gave with Vandy as I was watching my wife’s alma mater UVA getting hammered by Virginia Tech.

To put things into context, Ohio University had won 17 games the 10 years prior to Jim Grobes arrival. While a beautiful campus, it is 90 minutes away from the airport which makes recruiting and attracting decent visiting teams difficult. We had a high school quality weight room and were on the verge of being booted out of Division 1 with our fudged attendance numbers.

I never dreamed I would see Ohio beat Minnesota and Maryland on the road and lose heartbreakers to NC State and a top 10 Kansas State team on the road. KSU needed an 80 yard punt return and 52 yard Gramatica field goal to squeak by.

During Grobe’s tenure at Ohio, the graduation rate went up and like Wake Forest, he was able to get the money needed to upgrade second rate facilities.

Frank Solich has done a wonderful job with the Ohio program on the field, but his DUI arrest and so many player problems off the field have been an embarrassment and has tarnished the success on the field. I can’t remember Jim Grobe ever doing anything off the field to embarrass any team he was coaching. Having grown up in Columbus, this is reinforced by the shame that Jim Tressel brought to O$U.

Coach Grobe overcame the death of his father in high school and the death of his mentor/father figure Ray Hagley in the Marshall plane crash. We can debate football X’s and O’s, but he has proved at Ohio and Wake that his character and passion for people will get the maximum out of the majority of his players.

Excluding the wine and cheese crowd at UVA, most UVA fans/alumni who know anything about football would have loved to have Jim Grobe instead of Al Groh.

As a graduate of Ohio, I would be thrilled to have Grobe at Ohio next year or any year in the future even if Lobo was calling the plays. Ohio University’s football program was so much better after coach Grobe left and whenever Jim Grobe leaves Wake Forest, I think most agree they will be able to say the same.

:golfclap::golfclap:

The mediocrity many of you praise isn't acceptable in this day and age. Even at wake.

Norv Turner doesn't know his father and his mother has MS, but he should not b the Charger Coach. Likewise, Grobe is a .500 coach and keeping him we might have a .500 program. Rarely much more.

I love Grobe and am glad he is our coach. That said, it is not okay with this Deacon Club donor that the team and staff mailed it in today. I don't consider myself part of the lunatic fringe but I am embarrassed and angry over this loss.

He is officially two games away from .500 for a twenty year career. The last three years have seen a pattern of being out coached. It is time to upgrade the coach much like how we have upgraded the stadium, recruiting, the academic programs.

We now pay a coach $3M plus a year. And, history is clear he will provide a .500 record.

Can you think of any other coach in any other program so revered for winning 1/2 his games over a career?

I would compare him to another .500 at Wake in the modern era but there isn't one.

I love Grobe and am glad he is our coach. That said, it is not okay with this Deacon Club donor that the team and staff mailed it in today. I don't consider myself part of the lunatic fringe but I am embarrassed and angry over this loss.
Sums it up for me about today. Unmotivated, unprepared, outplayed, and outcoached.

We were just completely outplayed, outclassed by Vanderbilt. Vanderbilt. Really.

We sucked but we've had their number. They needed a win to go to a bowl and they played like it. We played like a team that really didn't give a damn. The outcome was fairly predictable.

Norv Turner doesn't know his father and his mother has MS, but he should not b the Charger Coach. Likewise, Grobe is a .500 coach and keeping him we might have a .500 program. Rarely much more.

I'll take career .500 at Wake any day.

Some of you younger guys don't remember the days of Bill Tate, Cal Stoll, Chuck Mills, Bill Dooley and Al Groh ... for the most part it was football purgatory. Jim Grobe has done wonders at Wake Forest!

Its all preparation and focus. Our worst Grobe team beat Vanderbilt. 34-13 in Nashville last year. I saw the 07 Deacs handily beat a good 5-6 Vanderbilt team that had to have a win to be bowl eligible ...and yes, it was in Nashville.

Back