• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Grobe: "I didn't pay attention to who the coaches were putting in."

slickdeac

Reaction score
"I didn't pay attention to who the coaches were putting in," Wake Forest's coach said in reference to the mass disappearance of redshirt years in Thursday's season-opening victory over Presbyterian College. "I just told them not to put anybody on the field if that was going to end up wasting a year of eligibility."

How can you say this? Does he not understand how absurd these kind of comments sound?

Sorry if this has already been posted, but just had to share..

Grobe is now moving into his Bobby Bowden- the later years phase- even working on those Chuckie the Chest sunglasses- just does not have the flair nor do they keep up with Bzzys Fossil watch statement.

C'mon man. You honestly think they didn't review each freshman and discuss whether they would play or not?
Give Grobe a little credit. He's a veteran coach. He's not doing this without a plan.
Take what he says to the press with a grain of salt. He's dumb like a fox.

He always says stuff like this. I think it is evident he's putting more effort into this team than he has the last few years.

What does Grobe even do? Like what are his responsibilities? To hear this from your head coach is kind of frightening.

They talk about this every single day but it's up to position coaches to figure out who goes in IIRC.

They talk about this every single day but it's up to position coaches to figure out who goes in IIRC.

So shouldn't Grobe know? What you said isn't what he said.

Good lord we have dumb fans.

So, I don't get it. The Grobe sunshine brigade undoubtedly watches a lot of good football - whether it be the SEC, B1G, or the NFL - yet praises the product that we throw on the field.

You don't hear these quotations coming out of well-coached programs. Well-coached programs don't look like crap, year after year, against bad teams.

There's a fundamental disconnect here. The Grobe loyalists clearly know their stuff, but the lengths that they go to support a really flawed program with glaring personnel issues is kind of stunning.

So shouldn't Grobe know? What you said isn't what he said.

They talk about who is on the depth chart and who might be played, but Grobe doesn't micromanage every single decision made with regards to player personnel during the game.

Well said. Dillon wouldn't accept this crap from Ohio State but it's acceptable for Wake.

We have fans who support Grobe based on 2006 yet consider that level of competitiveness to be luck. They don't hold Grobe any winning standard.

They talk about who is on the depth chart and who might be played, but Grobe doesn't micromanage every single decision made with regards to player personnel during the game.

Grobe didn't say he didn't decide. He said he didn't pay attention. There is a difference. Even us fans on ESPN3 were paying attention.

Grobe didn't say he didn't decide. He said he didn't pay attention. There is a difference. Even us fans on ESPN3 were paying attention.

I mean do we really think Grobe was just standing there in an idiotic stupor while everything was going on around him? He probably didn't really care if they were true freshmen or not. If someone made a play who was a true freshman he probably thought about it to some extent, but I think the point is he didn't care who was playing age-wise - a departure from previous years.

A great CEO lets his managers manage. grobe entrusted his assistants with playing who they felt deserved to play. He did not micromanage. It's quite simple.

Regardless of the semantics of his statement, it seems to be a departure from past years. That could be seen as a good or bad thing. For folks clamoring for changes, I would think ceding more control to the new position coaches (almost all have been replaced in the last 3 years) is most definitely a change from typical Grobe-ball. It seems there are some who wanted/want change, but are upset about change. Just my $.02.

This is a departure. It's what we've been hearing for years. He lets his coaches coach.

numbers and Dillon, you all are arguing something besides what he actually said.

What does Grobe even do? Like what are his responsibilities? To hear this from your head coach is kind of frightening.

Personally I believe Grobe is more of a team and coach manager. He is the CEO. The other coaches are responsible for the scheme and how the team prepares and he just makes sure they are doing their job except for Lobo of course he gets a pass.

I'm not arguing anything, I said it's up to the position coaches who goes in at each position - just like it is at every other school. I then made the comment that Grobe probably knows what's going on, but his comment "I didn't pay attention" was likely more of a "don't care who plays" than "didn't know."

A great CEO lets his managers manage. grobe entrusted his assistants with playing who they felt deserved to play. He did not micromanage. It's quite simple.

Posted before I read this, but this is exactly what I was trying to say.

No, I am not. I could not care less that he didn't pay attention during the course of the game. I'm certain he had already cleared who potentially would play, then he left it up to the assistants during the course of the game to decide which fresh actually got on the field. Do you think he should have kept a checklist of freshman names on a clipboard and a sharpie to cross throug their names?

Back