• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Grobe: "I didn't pay attention to who the coaches were putting in."

This is a departure. It's what we've been hearing for years. He lets his coaches coach.

numbers and Dillon, you all are arguing something besides what he actually said.

I've always heard the opposite. :noidea:

A great CEO lets his managers manage. grobe entrusted his assistants with playing who they felt deserved to play. He did not micromanage. It's quite simple.

A great CEO also fires people who don't produce. Unfortunately the"CEO" is also in bed with the offensive coordinator.

A great CEO lets his managers manage. grobe entrusted his assistants with playing who they felt deserved to play. He did not micromanage. It's quite simple.

So, he's a CEO whose company has operated at a deficit more often than it's been profitable?

As a stockholder in Wake Forest athletics, how do you feel about Grobe's performance as CEO?

In general, though, I find this CEO excuse to be bullshit. He's a lousy CEO if he's a CEO; his underlings are running the program into the ground and he's not doing anything about it.

A great CEO also fires people who don't produce. Unfortunately the"CEO" is also in bed with the offensive coordinator.

This. This is the part many conveniently leave out of the discussion.

So, he's a CEO whose company has operated at a deficit more often than it's been profitable?

As a stockholder in Wake Forest athletics, how do you feel about Grobe's performance as CEO?

In general, though, I find this CEO excuse to be bullshit. He's a lousy CEO if he's a CEO; his underlings are running the program into the ground and he's not doing anything about it.

That's a little dishonest. He has not replaced Lobo, which is obviously what people are upset about, but almost everything else has changed in the last few years (recruiting strategies, playing freshmen, position coaches, etc.). I think it's fair to say that these changes haven't been paying off in the short term, but the assumption is that the change of playing true freshman will not work. I don't know that that's fair. It could work, but maybe not. I think it's dishonest to say that he isn't doing anything though.

Even more ludicrous is that people defend Lobo by saying he is carrying out Grobe's plan yet Grobe isn't accountable for the lasting failures of our offense.

Freak, those are deck chair issues. Lack of depth is due to poor recruiting not redshirting. We won in 2006 because we had really good juniors and seniors on D backed up by really good sophomores.

Even more ludicrous is that people defend Lobo by saying he is carrying out Grobe's plan yet Grobe isn't accountable for the lasting failures of our offense.

This is the main problem I have with the LOWF mentality. NONE of the big name people at Wake are held accountable. And it's very dangerous when only ONE person has the authority to hold the entire athletic department hostage while EVERY other college changes with the times.

Freak, those are deck chair issues. Lack of depth is due to poor recruiting not redshirting. We won in 2006 because we had really good juniors and seniors on D backed up by really good sophomores.

Position coaches are most certainly not deck chair issues. We may agree to disagree there, but I think Heimbach, Jackson, etc. are upgrades for sure.

That's a little dishonest. He has not replaced Lobo, which is obviously what people are upset about, but almost everything else has changed in the last few years (recruiting strategies, playing freshmen, position coaches, etc.). I think it's fair to say that these changes haven't been paying off in the short term, but the assumption is that the change of playing true freshman will not work. I don't know that that's fair. It could work, but maybe not. I think it's dishonest to say that he isn't doing anything though.

Dishonest? He's running a good business, except for the fact that his #2 is a proven loser whose presence undermines any types of improvements made elsewhere. Dishonest? C'mon, man. We're well past dishonest at this point.

Maybe playing true freshmen will yield some kind of quantifiable gains, but something tells me that the independent variable - Lobo - will determine the outcome once again.

tumblr_lkdcv0alkm1qjwx5mo1_400.gif

So, not playing freshman is the reason our offense has looked so bad? Damn, all these years I though it was Lobo.

Dishonest? He's running a good business, except for the fact that his #2 is a proven loser whose presence undermines any types of improvements made elsewhere. Dishonest? C'mon, man. We're well past dishonest at this point.

Maybe playing true freshmen will yield some kind of quantifiable gains, but something tells me that the independent variable - Lobo - will determine the outcome once again.

If playing true freshmen is the answer after 12 years of aggressive redshirting as the hallmark of Grobe's philosophy, will people say that Grobe was too late to adapt?

If playing true freshmen is the answer after 12 years of aggressive redshirting as the hallmark of Grobe's philosophy, will people say that Grobe was too late to adapt?

Nope. #innovation

That's not what I'm saying. The statement was "nothing was being done" about our struggles. Things have and are being done. What was meant was "Lobo has not been replaced", but that is not the same thing as "nothing as been done". I think the OL is improving. it was a huge problem a few years ago. Heimbach was brought in with a really good pedigree and seems to be doing a good job with that unit. That is a significant change to address a problem. Our LBs after the Fresh Deacs were beyond horrible. That unit is really stout now. Coach Jackson is new (supposedly a good recruiter), and seems to have that unit playing really well. All I'm saying is that to say "nothing is being done" is dishonest. Grobe has been known as being conservative and loyal about keeping it in the family. These coaches (as well as others) are outsiders, and burning these shirts is not conservative. Those are changes. They certainly could and very well might fail, but to say "nothing is being done" is not being honest.

He absolutely was too late to adapt. Those classes after the fresh deacs were allowed to fail miserably for way too long (especially the D).

I mean do we really think Grobe was just standing there in an idiotic stupor while everything was going on around him? He probably didn't really care if they were true freshmen or not. If someone made a play who was a true freshman he probably thought about it to some extent, but I think the point is he didn't care who was playing age-wise - a departure from previous years.

That's what it has looked like he's been doing as long as I have watched Wake football.

That said, I don't really have a problem with what he actually said other than the fact that he said it. It just isn't something you should say.

That's not what I'm saying. The statement was "nothing was being done" about our struggles. Things have and are being done. What was meant was "Lobo has not been replaced", but that is not the same thing as "nothing as been done". I think the OL is improving. it was a huge problem a few years ago. Heimbach was brought in with a really good pedigree and seems to be doing a good job with that unit. That is a significant change to address a problem. Our LBs after the Fresh Deacs were beyond horrible. That unit is really stout now. Coach Jackson is new (supposedly a good recruiter), and seems to have that unit playing really well. All I'm saying is that to say "nothing is being done" is dishonest. Grobe has been known as being conservative and loyal about keeping it in the family. These coaches (as well as others) are outsiders, and burning these shirts is not conservative. Those are changes. They certainly could and very well might fail, but to say "nothing is being done" is not being honest.

The OL issues were Grobe's responsibility as head coach. He fixed a problem that his staff created. It's like when pols give themselves credit for fixing problems that they created (i.e. Clinton and the democratization of mortgages comes to mind). You've got a point about the DL and I'm a bit more sympathetic to that, but it's not really all that different. As a head coach, Grobe's responsibility is to ensure that he's got the best position coaches to fulfill his vision as head coach. That's a good CEO.

He's brought in good positional guys over the past couple of years, but his #2 is still the weakest link, known to almost everybody who seriously follows ACC or Wake football, and he's done absolutely nothing to address it.

What's dishonest, IMO, is to claim that these post-fresh deacs problems and the way that they have since been addressed are Grobe successes, instead of merely correcting his regime's failures.

I think we fundamentally agree, though.

That's what it has looked like he's been doing as long as I have watched Wake football.

That said, I don't really have a problem with what he actually said other than the fact that he said it. It just isn't something you should say.

This, too.

Back