• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Grobe IN or Grobe OUT?

Grobe IN or Grobe OUT?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
I was talking about his entire body of work at WF....including the 2006-08 years. You can't just cherry pick the worst part of it. I don't think any other coach would have won more games at Wake Forest in the last 11 years than Grobe has won. Put another way, I don't think any other coach would win more games in the next 11 years than Grobe has won in the last 11 years.

The last four years are most relevant not cherry picked. Why is Bush era football as relevant as this season?

So by the way... here's the end of season Sagarin rankings for all of Grobe's teams. This year's, obviously, it just the ranking to date.

Make what you will. Sagarin's numbers only go back as far as 1998, but the upshot of those three years is that in 2000, we were god awful at 125. 1999 and 1998 were 40's and 80's, respectively, which is basically the same as the Grobe years.

Honestly, why are people so fucking afraid of lapsing back into the Caldwell years under a new coach? If your most compelling reason for keeping Grobe is, "I don't know, it might get worse," then serious evaluation is needed.

2012: 110 Wake Forest
2011: 73 Wake Forest
2010: 102 Wake Forest
2009: 56 Wake Forest
2008: 25 Wake Forest
2007: 28 Wake Forest
2006: 27 Wake Forest
2005: 61 Wake Forest
2004: 67 Wake Forest
2003: 46 Wake Forest
2002: 42 Wake Forest
2001: 55 Wake Forest

if this poll was taken not would it still be 2:1 to keep grobe?

Hopefully, in 2023 I'll be making it like Caturday... Echoing bkf, great post from ChrisL. Pos-rep.

The fact is Grobe is no longer a winner. And when faced with a losing regime, you look to improve yourself. Look at Vandy. Nine 4-star recruits? 15th best class in the nation? If it works for Vandy, it works for Wake. Find a Franklin equivalent and go from there. (Of course, that assumes Wellman is fired so we can actually look for a quality replacement.)

The fact is Grobe is no longer a winner. And when faced with a losing regime, you look to improve yourself. Look at Vandy. Nine 4-star recruits? 15th best class in the nation? If it works for Vandy, it works for Wake. Find a Franklin equivalent and go from there. (Of course, that assumes Wellman is fired so we can actually look for a quality replacement.)

I know Vanderbilt is much bigger than Wake, but is it significantly wealthier as an institution?

I'm sure Wake is paying Grobe more than Vandy is paying Franklin. Besides, it's the academic requirements that LOWFers always harp on. And I don't believe Vandy is "much bigger" than Wake, although I don't keep abreast of such things.

I'm sure Wake is paying Grobe more than Vandy is paying Franklin. Besides, it's the academic requirements that LOWFers always harp on. And I don't believe Vandy is "much bigger" than Wake, although I don't keep abreast of such things.

Wake = 4.5k undergrads + ~7k total. Endowment = $1.5 bil.
Jim Grobe's salary is $2.3 mil/year with a basic lifetime guarantee.

Vandy = ~7k undergrads and ~13k total. Endowment = $3.4 bil.
James Franklin's salary is ~$3 mil/year with a similarly lifetime guarantee

It goes without saying that Vanderbilt has gotten better in two years, though there isn't enough of a sample size for a direct comparison. Wake got better after Grobe's hiring, as well.

Vanderbilt has a total enrollment of over 12,000, with close to 6,800 undergrads. Our total enrollment is over 7,000 with close to 4,700 undergrads. The Vanderbilt endowment is around $3.4 billion, ours is around $1.5 billion. That said, I have no idea what endowed funds are restricted to athletics for either school and I also have no idea what each school spends on athletics or football.

Damnit, too slow for Strickland...

Wake should be selling the same line on the recruiting trail as Vandy- small schools, superior academics, immediate starting position opportunities (for those whose abilities or size do not warrant a redshirt year), etc.

Didn't realize how close Tedford is to Grobe.

At this point, we might as well keep him. After the ACC disintegrates, Ronnie will lead us right into Conference USA or the remainder of the Big Least.

LOWF is about to get fucked hard.

Compare Grobe to our most hated rival. 2001 thru 2011
Grobe overall 68 wins, 67 losses.
Tarholes overall 62 wins, 74 losses. Throw out 2008 and 2009, the "vacated seasons" for cheating and Holes are 46 WINS AND 64 LOSSES.
Give Grobe a raise.
Doing more with way less resources.

Wake OOC schedule is usually much tougher than Tarholes.

Holes get 5* recruits and don't win. Holes have lots of good NFL players.

Last edited:
http://sports.yahoo.com/news/ap-source-california-fires-coach-181656489--ncaaf.html

Interesting if you look at this against what Grobe has done...similar results in the W-L column. Not advocating firing Grobe, but after similar results, other schools are firing their coaches...

Didn't realize how close Tedford is to Grobe.

I was about to post this myself when I saw it already had been. If Tedford getting fired doesn't get Grobe's attention, it should. There are a lot of similarities in how their tenures have progressed. I still don't think Grobe should be fired, but next year I'd say he's on the hot seat.

bump to see the difference a month (and a few more embarrassing blowouts) can make

Back