• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Grobe IN or Grobe OUT?

Grobe IN or Grobe OUT?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Voted Grobe in. Still think he's a good coach and even better representative for our school. I also credit him for bringing the program up to where it is at this point. I also think many of Grobes mistakes can be corrected with a new OC.

I'm not making excuses for Grobe, I booed him all night tonight. I'm just not ready to turn my back on him.

So were you like booing in support? A "they're not saying 'boo', they're saying 'grooooo'" sort of deal?

Because his name isn't pronounced like that, man.

I love Grobe but if I do not see good results next season then I will lean in the direction of out.
The past 4 seasons have not made me believe that the program is improving even with the lucky bowl bid last season.

So were you like booing in support? A "they're not saying 'boo', they're saying 'grooooo'" sort of deal?

Because his name isn't pronounced like that, man.

Booing a decision doesn't mean I've completely turned my back on the coach?

I knew we wouldn't be good this year. If we do t improve grove out.

I love Grobe but if I do not see good results next season then I will lean in the direction of out.
The past 4 seasons have not made me believe that the program is improving even with the lucky bowl bid last season.

Caldwell's last 4 seasons:

5-6
3-8
7-5 (Aloha Bowl)
2-9

Total: 17-28 (.377) (includes two losses to App State)

1-A record: 17-26 (.395)

Grobe's last 3 2/3 seasons:

5-7
3-9
6-7 (Music City Bowl)
4-4

Total: 18-27 (.400) (includes 4 wins vs. FBS opponents)

FBS record: 14-27 (.341)

Grobe would have to finish 4-0 to have a better record against 1-A/FBS schools than Caldwell over his last 4 years.

Legitimate question - despite knowing OGG has been negrepped to hell for it - if we were to fire Grobe, would we have to pay all of that big fat salary until 2017, or whenever his contract goes up?

Legitimate question - despite knowing OGG has been negrepped to hell for it - if we were to fire Grobe, would we have to pay all of that big fat salary until 2017, or whenever his contract goes up?

I'd be pretty surprised if anyone here knows. Being a private school we don't have to publicize contract details, and one would imagine that Ron keeps that kind of stuff pretty close to the vest unless actively raising a buyout.

Since Grobe was in high demand when he got that extension, he would have been a fool to not get a nice fat buyout clause installed in there as well. I don't think Jim Grobe is a fool.

Next year will be the litmus test. Return the most guys we've brought back since '06 (we were hammered a few times in '05, BTW), plus will have a senior QB. If we can't win 8ish games next year with JG don't think we ever will again

Next year will be the litmus test. Return the most guys we've brought back since '06 (we were hammered a few times in '05, BTW), plus will have a senior QB. If we can't win 8ish games next year with JG don't think we ever will again

This. I voted Grobe in because he's had more success than any coach in memory. Though I wouldn't mind seeing Lobo go. We have Price, Camp, Nikita and a lot of starters back next year. If we can't go to a decent bowl with that crowd in a down ACC, then next year I will say it's time.

Assuming we beat BC and lose to ND and NCSU, for me the Vandy game will tell me a lot about Grobe and the future. In spite of a difficult year on many fronts, we would still have the opportunity for back-to-back bowl games. Assuming we're at 5 wins, if we don't come out in that game with "hair on fire and snot bubbles", then I'll know he's either lost the team or he's lost his own desire for coaching at WFU.

Back