• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Grobe IN or Grobe OUT?

Grobe IN or Grobe OUT?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
David Cutcliffe is the new Jim Grobe. Jim Grobe is the new Jim Caldwell.

Cutcliffe has a ton of veterans and seniors this year. The better comparison is that 2013 Wake could be 2012 Duke, or better

I voted Grobe in, but I struggled with that decision. One thing is that I wonder how much the AD is micromanaging the football program. (The AD certainly appears to be micromanaging the basketball program.) But I guess the deciding factor is that I feel we have a major leadership problem at Wake Forest that is setting our programs up to fail.

There appear to be bigger issues in our primary revenue sports than are apparent on the surface. Our football program was successful, but looking back it appears that something changed about 3 or 4 years ago. (That's also about the time we fired Dino and hired Buzz.) Could the last few years be the result of some change being implemented across all our sports? Are these issues due to decisions that were made at the AD level? Could it be due to decisions made in the President's office?

Some have speculated about major changes to our recruiting policies. If it is true, did that change originate in the AD's office or the President's office? When was it implemented? Are these new recruiting policies why we had to settle for a loser like Buzz for a basketball coach? If there was no change to our recruiting policies, has there been some other change that could have resulted in this total collapse of our major revenue sports?

If this complete suckitude is due to decisions made in AD's office, then the AD should be FIRED. If the President has established criteria that the current AD is incapable of implementing while at the same time fielding teams that are competitive, then the President needs to FIRE the AD and hire someone who can successfully implement his new "criteria" and still field competitive teams. However, if the President has established new criteria under which our programs cannot succeed; then the Board of Trustees must step in and FIRE the President.

It's too bad that we don't have Trustees that takes their job seriously enough to find out the answers to these questions and demand that the appropriate people be held accountable. I fear that Grobe may not be the one most responsible for where we are today.

He would be foolish to keep Lobo, there is nothing about him that is surprising. When your offensive coordinator decides to call a shotgun draw on 3rd and 30, you have problems.

With that said, I still back Grobe for now. Another couple of bad seasons and I'll change my mind.

Draws on 3rd and 30 are pretty common calls, particularly if you have pass protection issues.

To me, Grobe-in, Knorr/Lobo-out just doesn't make sense. Grobe isn't an active coach. Don't know how he is in practice, but during games you hardly see him say a word. His role is in hiring coaches he thinks are the best for his system. Knorr and Lobo aren't particularly good but Grobe must think they are so if you have a problem with them then you have a problem with Grobe.

Honestly, we should give Ph a go as the tag suggests. Let him assemble his all-boards staff, save a few million, and likely get better results. At least we wouldn't punt from the fucking Clemson 38 on 4th and inches.

Watch one half of football with me and he's Ph IN. Let that be a lesson, haters.

Alright, let's fill out a staff.

PhDeac - Head Coach/Fake Field Goals/Interior Punt Block
DeaconSig - Offensive Coordinator/Wide Receivers/Co-Passing Game Coordinator

Sig, what special teams gig do you want?

deacz - Special Teams Coach

No such position. Gotta pick a component of special teams. If you're talking about Sdeacz, I can make him Long Punt Coach. He'll need to pick a position.

You can make me in charge of the zone-read hand-off from shotgun and the option and I promise I will make sure that we never run those plays again.

In, but out if he is unable or unwilling to make changes to his coaching staff.

I'll take a crack at the secondary. Here's a sneak peak; I won't have our corners start 15 yards from the LOS.

I'm not sure I like this new Ph regime. He is already resting on his laurels and not hand picking people for positions on his coaching staff. Sign of success of getting the job going to his head IMO!

In, but out if he is unable or unwilling to make changes to his coaching staff.

I'll evaluate the staff on a play-by-play basis. If your unit sucks, I'll just check the game thread for your replacement. Keeps everybody on their toes.

Back