• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Grobe IN or Grobe OUT?

Grobe IN or Grobe OUT?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
We didn't just start being one of the worst offenses in the country.

In the ACC, Grobe has eight losing seasons, one .500 and three winning ones.

He's dragged us back to Caldwell levels. We're doing worse than we were before he got here. How many years has he earned to be complacent?

Why wouldn't Grobe keep coaching? He's got great money with no accountability. He's not burning to win in a way that you can clearly see. This is perfect for him.

Grobe's been here 12 years and like RJ points out has 8 losing seasons in-conference (1 of which could still end up at 4-4), 3 winning seasons and 1 even season....only 3 of those seasons had fewer than 3 wins in conference (including this one so far), of which there were two 1-win seasons and NO 0-fers

In the 12 years before Grobe, Wake had 11 losing seasons in conference and 1 even season....0 winning seasons....9 of those seasons had fewer than 3 wins in conference...with 6 being 1 win seasons and 2 being 0-fers

To say we are doing worse than before he got here is absurd....we may not look very good but we are still performing better than we did Pre-Grobe

Added to that in terms of overall records in the 12 years Pre-Grobe we exceeded 3 wins three times....12 years with Grobe we've only NOT exceeded 3 wins once in 2010

Last edited:
No. We're not. Look at what I posted earlier in the thread.

1989-2000: 9 seasons of 0-2 conference wins, 1 season with 4+ conference wins
2001-2012: 3 seasons of 0-2 conference wins, 5 seasons with 4+ conference wins (with a potential 6th)

1989-2000: 9 seasons of 0-3 overall wins, 3 seasons of 5+ overall wins
2001-2012: 1 seasons of 0-3 overall wins, 8 seasons of 5+ overall wins (with a potential 9th)

Last edited:
Four years before Grobe and the last four years are reasonable measures of pre-Grobe and now.

And even if Grobe wins out, he has a worse record over the last 4 years than Grobe over his last 4 years.

Four years before Grobe and the last four years are reasonable measures of pre-Grobe and now.

And even if Grobe wins out, he has a worse record over the last 4 years than Grobe over his last 4 years.

Assuming you meant Caldwell the second time, but either way:

Caldwell:
5-6 (3-5)
3-8 (2-6)
7-5 (3-5)
2-9 (1-7)
17-28 (9-23)

Grobe:
5-7 (3-5)
3-9 (1-7)
6-7 (5-3)
8-4 (4-4)
22-27 (13-19)

Not quite....losing out he'd be at worst equal to Caldwell's last 4

In no way am I saying we are looking good, on an upward trend, or any way in "good shape"...changes need to be made.

I AM saying that we are not in any form or fashion worse than Pre-Grobe years

Last edited:
The difference between those two is a 12th FCS game against Elon, Liberty, Gardner-Webb and one I'm forgetting.

Grobe would have to win it not to have a worse record.

Last edited:
Face it, people. We'll never be a football powerhouse. We'll always float between mediocrity and being below average. That's just the way WF football is.

Doesn't have to be that way.

I think we can be competitive every year. Not dominating or anything, just competitive.

And all that takes is playing harder and smarter and fighting for every inch and every second.

Face it, people. We'll never be a football powerhouse. We'll always float between mediocrity and being below average. That's just the way WF football is.

It costs a lot to float between mediocrity and being below average. I'm not sure that's the way to go...

Yep. I'm not sure what's going on. People love Grobe because he led us to the Orange Bowl but seem willing to accept nothing more than 5 or 6 win seasons. That makes no sense to me.

Cool opinions everyone.. We're not getting rid of the coach that has sustained more success than anyone in our "storied" history. Next topic? negreppp away

Yep. I'm not sure what's going on. People love Grobe because he led us to the Orange Bowl but seem willing to accept nothing more than 5 or 6 win seasons. That makes no sense to me.

PH i respect pretty uch everything you haveto say on these boards. Having said that though, 5 and 6 win seasons aren't easy to come by at LOWF... no matter who is at the helm

So then why pay what we're paying for it?

Did people buy PSLs for 5 or 6 win seasons?

Last edited:
So then why pay what we're paying for it?

Did people buy PSLs for 5 or 6 win seasons?

Agreed.

Why don't we just hire an up-and-coming FCS coach or middle-of-the-road BCS assistant for $700k/year and revel in our 5-6 game ceiling?

Back