• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Growing Up in the Carolinas

Just wait until I-73 is finished. They'll have a direct pipeline down to Myrtle Beach.
800px-Interstate_73_Future_map.png

I can certainly go along with #s 1, 2 and 7. Carolina in My Mind is a nice song, I long for really good bbq (VA isn't a good bbq state), and shrimp and grits is a great dish (though I associate that with low country SC more than NC). As for the rest of it, I ain't no Carolinian. Hate sweet tea and cheerwine. While I used to habit Bojangles frequently in college and loved it back then, my stomach can no longer take that level of grease, and I'm not a Chic Fila fan at all. Don't drink moonshine or have a screened in porch. Never been to a Cook Out and never really liked swimming. And I never understood the vitriol for Ohio. My folks used to live in Akron and visited there several times. Great weather in the Summers and god awful weather in the Winters, and the latter is an understatement. But outside of the Winters and Dayton, which is horribly depressed, I don't get what is so terrible about Ohio. And while James Taylor is great, Darius Rucker blows. And my Civil War hero is William Tecumseh Sherman. Sorry Columbia.

Confused-Jacksonville-Jaguars-fan-in-stands.gif

Okay, so I thought you chose your name because you like to have folks over and grill outside. So please pardon my ignorance and tell me what is so great about Cook Out restaurants. What do these places serve?

Okay, so I thought you chose your name because you like to have folks over and grill outside. So please pardon my ignorance and tell me what is so great about Cook Out restaurants. What do these places serve?

it's fast food, but at a higher level of choices then the normal Burger King or Wendy's garbage. Many different styles of burgers. You can get a Cook-Out tray, which is a sandwich, 2 sides (fries, hushpuppies, corn dog, wrap) and a drink or a milkshake (for an extra $1) for relatively cheap compared to other places combo meals. Over 40 styles of milkshakes. It's amazing late night while drunk. Other than the random 24 hour places you see from time to time, it was the first place open super late every night that I ever really experienced. Late night trips to Cook-Out were a staple during many youths time at Wake.

Deadspin's take: http://deadspin.com/5883076/i-hung-...eatest-value-in-the-history-of-drunken-eating

Pos rep for knowing what the word "cookout" means and that grilling outside is not the same as a pulled meat sandwich or sauce.

if you're in Cville or plan on visiting soon they have one right off Barracks Road

Nope Ohio is the worst. Growing up in SC they would arrive en masse every summer. When I was little, I used to think that there probably weren't any people left in Ohio over the summer.

Waaaah. Try living in Florida. In the winter we get folks from Cleveland, Philly, Boston and New York/New Jersey. Some of them stay. Then their trash-ass relatives move down to mooch off of them and start cooking meth in the kitchen because they have no labor skills...and WHAMMY you have the FloridaMan twitter feed.

Ohio folks are rough. I went to the Florida/Ohio State Gator Bowl in Jax a few years ago. The Ohio State fans were SOOO rough...made the Gator fans look classy/fratty. And that takes supreme effort.

Oh man, that is so sad. I do like cooking out, but Cook-Out is the best fast food restaurant ever. HTTD's links pretty much explain it, but it's awesomely cheap for a ton of food. However, I don't think you'd enjoy it if you've already blacklisted Bojangles for being too greasy.

if you're in Cville or plan on visiting soon they have one right off Barracks Road

Just looked it up and found it. Who knew? I don't do most fast food places but will give it a try. Is their bbq any good, or should I stick to a burger?

So is there such a thing as diet cheerwine yet? And sorry Screamin, I stick by my call on iced tea and cheerwine, but will check out Cook Out.

Oh man, that is so sad. I do like cooking out, but Cook-Out is the best fast food restaurant ever. HTTD's links pretty much explain it, but it's awesomely cheap for a ton of food. However, I don't think you'd enjoy it if you've already blacklisted Bojangles for being too greasy.

I haven't blacklisted Bojangles, but boy my stomach did afterwards the 1 time I went there in recent years. I rarely eat deep fried food and never eat traditional fast food. But back in college in the mid 80s, we frequented Bojangles and Bell Brothers on a consistent basis. But unfortunately, metabolisms change over time.

Just looked it up and found it. Who knew? I don't do most fast food places but will give it a try. Is their bbq any good, or should I stick to a burger?

So is there such a thing as diet cheerwine yet? And sorry Screamin, I stick by my call on iced tea and cheerwine, but will check out Cook Out.

get a burger, get a shake. and yes they do have Diet Cheerwine (just not at Cook-out).

Pos rep for knowing what the word "cookout" means and that grilling outside is not the same as a pulled meat sandwich or sauce.

I needed some pos rep on this thread, thanks. And while apparently ignorant of a few things on this thread, I know what cookout and grilling mean and know the difference between Eastern and Western. I prefer Eastern. But I'll still take good Western over most of what you find in VA. Benny's in Richmond is pretty good, and they also have Legend's Brown on tap.

Back