• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Growing Up in the Carolinas

i only remember one person from NC who actually liked/championed Cheerwine and he was a weirdo

i only remember one person from NC who actually liked/championed Cheerwine and he was a weirdo

When I was at Wake, a bunch of folks drank cheerwine. I didn't care for it. But then again, I hadn't seen anyone put slaw on bbq till I got to college. Tried that and got hooked. But I never got the cheerwine thing.

hmmm pretty much everyone I know from NC loves Cheerwine, myself included (and even a couple friends not from NC)..

Pos rep for knowing what the word "cookout" means and that grilling outside is not the same as a pulled meat sandwich or sauce.

I've gotten in so many ... conversations (not arguments) with folks lately about the use of BBQ vs cookout. I know a LOT of people who supposedly went to BBQs on Memorial Day. Um, no you did not go to a sandwich.

I've gotten in so many ... conversations (not arguments) with folks lately about the use of BBQ vs cookout. I know a LOT of people who supposedly went to BBQs on Memorial Day. Um, no you did not go to a sandwich.

I chuckled at this joke, but BBQ is what's on the sandwich. It's also delicious without a bread delivery device.

i mean, i'm pretty sure Oxford Dictionary considers "barbecue" to refer to the apparatus and a gathering as well. I don't really call pulled pork "BBQ" b/c I find it confusing because you can barbecue other things than pork, b/c it's a cooking style.

#yankeesrule

It is very hard to put into words the kind of a bad light that your post puts you in. It certainly doesn't say much for your circle of friends.

To paraphrase Ben Franklin, Cheerwine is proof that God loves us and that He wants us to be happy.

If that makes me a weirdo, I'll gladly own that title. I'm off to the breakroom to pour myself another Cheerwine.

Emma Keys has Cheerwine and Diet Cheerwine on fountain.

my freshman year roommate was excited his mom was going to send him a care package with a soda he could only get back home in Bethesda:

"they just don't have it anywhere here...it must be a Maryland thing."

"oh, what is it?"

"Fresca!"

my freshman year roommate was excited his mom was going to send him a care package with a soda he could only get back home in Bethesda:

"oh, what is it?"

"Fresca!"

:laugh: wat, I actually drank a ton of black cherry fresca (which is now impossible to find) when I was in undergrad. He wasn't looking very hard.

"oh, what is it?"

"Fresca!"

I wasn't your freshman year roommate, was I? Oh wait, I'm not a donk and my mom didn't send me care packages. :tear:

Also, I will say I didn't have many friends who drank Cheerwine at Wake. Too many kids from Florida, Texas, and yankee land, I suppose.

Last edited:
:laugh: wat, I actually drank a ton of black cherry fresca (which is now impossible to find) when I was in undergrad. He wasn't looking very hard.

yeah every time we went to the store after that

"look [name], they got Fresca now!"

i mean, i'm pretty sure Oxford Dictionary considers "barbecue" to refer to the apparatus and a gathering as well. I don't really call pulled pork "BBQ" b/c I find it confusing because you can barbecue other things than pork, b/c it's a cooking style.

#yankeesrule

True, but I also think most would agree that when you use the abbreviation for barbecue, 'Que, it does refer to pork.

"oh, what is it?"

"Fresca!"

How bout a Fresca? Mm? Mmm?

1. Walk up to window
2. Say, cookout tray please (be kind, say please). Burger (cheddar style), cajun fries (the word cajun is very important here), cajun fries again or corndog, upgrade to peanut butter milkshake (or flavor of your choice)
3. ?????
4. Profit

Back