• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

GT Game Thread

Agree that Griffis has a short leash right now, due to turnovers. Ruggiero and Clawson love competitive QB’s , that know the playbook and don’t turn the ball over. Superior physical abilities are secondary.

Did Rafi also forget the Wolford vs. Hinton saga?
No. I was discussing the Wolford Kearns discussion, because the comments seemed so familiar, even down to back-up's name.

cookoutdeac, you're a sports fan. I'm a sports fan. We're all sports fans. So cut the crap. Stop making this disingenuous argument. You know just as much as anybody else that nobody is "clamoring" for Kern. We have plenty of evidence Griffis can't do the job and we want him benched. Kern just happens to be the backup. Nobody thinks he will be Skinner. Nobody thinks he's the guy. But in sports, you don't just stick with someone who can't do the job.
lol I've also been a sports fan long enough to realize that wanting the backup guy just because you're hopeful he's better is fool's gold, "everyone's favorite player.." yada yada yada

not delusional enough to fall into that trap anymore, especially when it's not even a promising young freshman or something (i'd be totally in favor of making that exchange to let that person develop tbh, that's why I'm gonna be BIG TIME #teamhecklinksi next year)

Did Rafi also forget the Wolford vs. Hinton saga?

2009, I'm saying Clawson sat Wolford for Hinton when Wolford struggled. Simple point. It took over a season going back and forth between them for Clawson to "stick" with Wolford. Wolford is a poor example to use to say Clawson shouldn't give Kern a shot.

Ultimately Hinton and our offense might have been better off if he moved to WR sooner. I also don't remember him starting over healthy Wolford more than once or twice.

The only year he came close to Wolf in attempts was 2015. He had 2 starts that year when Wolf went out hurt against Army and Hinton started the next 2 games, but I think Wolf got the starting job right back.

Wolf - 235 Att, 60.4% Completion, 1791 Yards, 9TD, 11 INT
Hinton - 177 Att, 52.5% Completion, 929 Yards, 4 TD, 5 INT (Note: at least 115 of these attempts came when Wolf was hurt)

I’m highly skeptical that there is a better option on the current roster. That’s why I’ve referred to a solution for next year. I think the solution for the rest of this year is to shift the offense into more quick routes, designed roll outs, and more blocking TEs and more RB check downs. Griffis isn’t untalented. He’s quite accurate when he’s got time. His issue is pocket awareness and holding too long. So address it and let’s win some games and have a better player next year.

Just watched the post game presser. Thanks @LesJohns3D for the upload. Clawson's demeanor looks different than I've ever seen in a presser after a loss. My less than expert opinion states that something in particular is really really bugging him. The audio doesn't do it justice.
Just watched the press conference.

Definitely get the feeling that Clawson is worried about undoing a decades worth of blood, sweat, and tears building this program up.

Here's the reality:
  • We should probably be 2-2. We were very lucky against ODU. Vandy is an awful team and Elon was more physical than us.
  • At this point, Griffis is not a D1 Power 5 starting QB. He's a hardworking, good person. However, his lack of height makes him incapable of seeing over lineman on deeper routes. He has mediocre arm strength. Holds on to the ball too long.
  • Defenses are figuring out Ruggiero's offense. The key is pressuring the OLine and QB. It worked against Lville (2022), Elon (2023), ODU (2023), and GT (2023). Clemson tried pressuring in 2022, but the difference is that Wake's OL/RBs picked up blocks well.
  • Ruggiero should have tinkered offense to better accommodate Griffis' lack of height in the offseason instead of having same offense of past few years.
  • There is a reason they haven't played Kerns.
  • Getting to a bowl game would be an impressive accomplishment for Clawson with the current QB/OL situtation.
  • Thinking down the road - obviously there is a chance that Griffis improves. I hope that happens, but don't see it as a likely option. If he doesn't, the staff is limited with alternative moves. This is a big issue IMO. Unfortunately, Kerns will never be the guy. Haven't heard anything noteworthy about Gilliam so far. Hecklinski seems like the real deal, but would only be a true Frosh next year. Portal seems unlikely given Wake's academic requirements and limited/bad market supply.

I’m highly skeptical that there is a better option on the current roster. That’s why I’ve referred to a solution for next year. I think the solution for the rest of this year is to shift the offense into more quick routes, designed roll outs, and more blocking TEs and more RB check downs. Griffis isn’t untalented. He’s quite accurate when he’s got time. His issue is pocket awareness and holding too long. So address it and let’s win some games and have a better player next year.
My impression is that his issues are 1) staying in the pocket too long (this seems fixable), 2) easily tackled (not sure if his balance can improve, maybe?), and 3) poor vision - that pick on the crucial drive was bad (not sure if this can improve, maybe from poor to adequate?).

The college football world has changed significantly since Wolford played for Wake Forest as hard as that may be to believe. But it has. Thus, what concerns me is if we show little to no desire to even give Kern a chance, some of our best players may seek the portal. If the Griffis can't get them the ball and Clawson is hell-bent to not even give anything else a try (either QB or playbook), then we may lose some very good offensive personnel and accelerate a spiral of even worse issues.

The college football world has changed significantly since Wolford played for Wake Forest as hard as that may be to believe. But it has. Thus, what concerns me is if we show little to no desire to even give Kern a chance, some of our best players may seek the portal. If the Griffis can't get them the ball and Clawson is hell-bent to not even give anything else a try (either QB or playbook), then we may lose some very good offensive personnel and accelerate a spiral of even worse issues.
Yep. If I’m Key then I’m definitely looking. Ridiculous that we can’t figure out a way just to put the ball in his hands.

My impression is that his issues are 1) staying in the pocket too long (this seems fixable), 2) easily tackled (not sure if his balance can improve, maybe?), and 3) poor vision - that pick on the crucial drive was bad (not sure if this can improve, maybe from poor to adequate?).

All three of these can be attributed to size and speed. I don't think either can be fixed unless you know of a magic "height and speed hormone".

Ultimately Hinton and our offense might have been better off if he moved to WR sooner. I also don't remember him starting over healthy Wolford more than once or twice.

The only year he came close to Wolf in attempts was 2015. He had 2 starts that year when Wolf went out hurt against Army and Hinton started the next 2 games, but I think Wolf got the starting job right back.

Wolf - 235 Att, 60.4% Completion, 1791 Yards, 9TD, 11 INT
Hinton - 177 Att, 52.5% Completion, 929 Yards, 4 TD, 5 INT (Note: at least 115 of these attempts came when Wolf was hurt)

Even “once or twice” is more of a shot you want to give Kern.

All three of these can be attributed to size and speed. I don't think either can be fixed unless you know of a magic "height and speed hormone".
I'm not sure about that. Staying in the pocket too long is a decision-making issue - I could see that improving. Balance could improve with strength, but not sure he can add that much at this point. When I think of field vision I think of that pick in the 4th quarter - he was well outside the pocket, so height and speed were not an issue, he just didn't see the whole field well.

I'm not sure about that. Staying in the pocket too long is a decision-making issue - I could see that improving. Balance could improve with strength, but not sure he can add that much at this point. When I think of field vision I think of that pick in the 4th quarter - he was well outside the pocket, so height and speed were not an issue, he just didn't see the whole field well.

Not if you CAN'T SEE OVER THE LINE! I re-watched the GT game as painful as that was. We had receivers with lots of space on multiple occasions. I honestly don't think he can see them.

But I realize some on here will argue to the death that Griffis should play the entire season and make up some ridiculous scenarios for that to happen. Why? I have no clue.

Not if you CAN'T SEE OVER THE LINE! I re-watched the GT game as painful as that was. We had receivers with lots of space on multiple occasions. I honestly don't think he can see them.
As I said, he was well outside the pocket with no one in front of him when he threw that pick - that had nothing to do with height. Kyler Murray is 5'10" and Mitch is 5'11" - there are effective QB's at Mitch's height. Being taller might help, but I don't think that's the main issue here.

But I realize some on here will argue to the death that Griffis should play the entire season and make up some ridiculous scenarios for that to happen. Why? I have no clue.
If you are referring to me, I think Kern should get a start. I'm not super optimistic that he will do any better, but he might, and even if he doesn't, it will give the coaches even more data points with a different QB to help determine what issues are from the QB and what issues are not.

I made the mistake of not. They claimed they sent me an email (in July for a September renewal, come on) but I never got it. Refused to refund my money. I feel snaked.
the integrity!

Back