• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

GT Game Thread

This is definitely correct. It's going to take a hell of an effort to turn this ship around enough to get bowl eligible imo.
man I was so excited for both the Wake and Panthers seasons at the outset. I figured Wake would just keep the machine running with Money Mitch and that the Panthers would be bad but fun and I'd have a lot of hope for the future of the franchise. A combined 7 games in and that's dead.

i don't mean to beat a dead horse but what does 80% completion and two interceptions in all of spring practice even mean?

is there any context for those numbers?

anyways, I'm not #mitchout as I don't know anything about the back-ups, just not on board with the narrative that there was no reason for concern until the "lights came on" or the idea that there is no distinction between a first-year QB or a fourth-year QB even if they're both first-time starters

carry on

go deacs!

go mitch!

go honest conversations!

i don't mean to beat a dead horse but what does 80% completion and two interceptions in all of spring practice even mean?

is there any context for those numbers?

anyways, I'm not #mitchout as I don't know anything about the back-ups, just not on board with the narrative that there was no reason for concern until the "lights came on" or the idea that there is no distinction between a first-year QB or a fourth-year QB even if they're both first-time starters

carry on

go deacs!

go mitch!

go honest conversations!
I get that, and I think there's plenty of room for disagreement on some of that stuff and how much it matters vs not

and tbh, the best backup option being floated is a 5th year QB in the program right? so if he's had that long and hasn't impressed enough to get himself in the conversation, it doesn't bode well 😬

I'd totally be in favor of letting a younger dude cut his teeth and get some snaps if we had anyone like on the roster atm, if we're in a rebuild year and having to simplify the offense anyway because it isn't clicking for mitch, not sure if anyone on the current roster fits that mold though, anyone know anything about this mizzell kid?

hecklinski is getting a lot of hype rn in terms of next years prospects

Ke'Shawn in particular has looked to be visibly frustrated with Griffis multiple times during and after plays.

That dude is dying to make some plays if he can just get the damn ball.
Ke’Shawn has every right to be frustrated, he is lighting in a bottle but we just cannot get him the ball. There’s no reason they cannot scheme better to get him the ball.

Sitting near the parents during the ODU was a bit revealing. A lot of them were not at all pleased with Mitch. Now that's in the heat of the game against a team we should've romped, so it's probably not the best gauge. Anecdotally though, there was a lot of consternation.

I think right now the narrative is that Mitch did a lot better in practice than he did when the real games started. So I think part of the frustration is that the reverse could be true… somebody may not have impressed in practice but could turn it on when the big lights come on. What we’re doing with Mitch definitely ain’t working so why not give Kern a chance to see what he can do? He hasn’t gotten a chance like that in his whole time here

man, I kept thinking that Kern was in the program forever since we were talking about him during the Wolford years but it's just now through this thread I remembered that we had a Kearns at backup

gotta be honest that the Kern-Kearns thing has left me with no idea how long Kern has been around

I also think this illustrates how many bad QBs there are in college football -- Clawson and Co. have actually done a great job at the position, especially given where WFU exists in the collage football universe

the Wolf comps are all no good because he was on those early Clawson teams that were trash at virtually every position

we averaged 1.3 ypc in 2014 -- DFL by almost a full yard!

Clawson has raised expectations so if people are happy to wait til Mitch is an eighth year senior to be decent then I think you are not honoring the level of play that Clawson has achieved here

I think right now the narrative is that Mitch did a lot better in practice than he did when the real games started. So I think part of the frustration is that the reverse could be true… somebody may not have impressed in practice but could turn it on when the big lights come on. What we’re doing with Mitch definitely ain’t working so why not give Kern a chance to see what he can do? He hasn’t gotten a chance like that in his whole time here
But how often does this happen, especially with 5th year QBs and not super young freshman who are still learning (Riley).

Trust me though, I understand the desire just to change it up because what do we have to lose, I think I'll trust Claws to figure out when that will be. Not sure on the road against Clemson is the best time necessarily. Claws has actually subbed struggling QBs before right? I remember a few games where Newman came out for Hartman (that almost-comeback at Syracuse sticks in my head).

man, I kept thinking that Kern was in the program forever since we were talking about him during the Wolford years but it's just now through this thread I remembered that we had a Kearns at backup
Ha, Kern has also been around a long time too though.. he's a RS Jr. and I think we're counting the covid year in there too, so this is his 5th year.

Kearns is the guy that played the second half of the Temple bowl game we held on for dear life in.

gotta be honest that the Kern-Kearns thing has left me with no idea how long Kern has been around

I also think this illustrates how many bad QBs there are in college football -- Clawson and Co. have actually done a great job at the position, especially given where WFU exists in the collage football universe

the Wolf comps are all no good because he was on those early Clawson teams that were trash at virtually every position

we averaged 1.3 ypc in 2014 -- DFL by almost a full yard!

Clawson has raised expectations so if people are happy to wait til Mitch is an eighth year senior to be decent then I think you are not honoring the level of play that Clawson has achieved here
I guess with the way most of CFB is we've been pretty lucky to essentially know our starter every week, save injury weeks, and we haven't really had to work through a QB competition for years. but clearly it impacts all big programs, most notably Alabama this season and Clemson last, and, as someone else pointed out, ND had to get a portal one when they haven't had a good one in years.

preview.jpg

The whole "What about Wolford's first 3 seasons!" fails to consider where this team is supposed to be as opposed to where those teams were. No one expected anything from those 2014 and 2015 teams. We were excited to beat VTech 6-3. Mitch on the other hand walked into an offense that was averaging over 30 points a game for the last two years. We aren't talking about a true freshman, we are talking about someone who has been on the team for 4 years. This team was expected to win at least 6 games, and instead, we have struggled against the easiest part of our schedule because of the QB. Wolford did not have the offensive weapons that Mitch has. This isn't even an apples-to-oranges comparison, this is apples-to-horseshit.

Newman was Hartman's backup in 18, but then played and the coaches realized what they had, and then Newman went on to start 2019. You don't know what you have at QB until they play, and that can work both ways. Griffis has not shown improvement this season. It is time to see what we have in Kern. I am not saying Kern is Newman, I am saying Griffis has not shown enough to be kept in as the starter.

Did not remember that Kyle Kearns (not WF current QB Michael Kern) was kicked off the WF football team in 2017 for "violating team rules". Kearns landed at a JUCO in Kansas, and then,
was injured in a serious auto accident. Does not appear that Kearns returned to football after that.

Kearns lone start for WF was against Clemson and Trevor Lawrence in 2016.

Has Clawson gone the Grobe route and start to squat and pick at the artificial turf?

I have been under the assumption that the QB was somewhat plug and play with the scheme similar to what Mcvay/Shanahan have been able to do. The offense doesn’t require a monster arm or elite athleticism, it’s primarily reading defense and making the right decisions. I really thought Mitch would fit in great and there are flashes where you see the offense clicking but it falls apart spectacularly routinely.

The whole "What about Wolford's first 3 seasons!" fails to consider where this team is supposed to be as opposed to where those teams were. No one expected anything from those 2014 and 2015 teams. We were excited to beat VTech 6-3. Mitch on the other hand walked into an offense that was averaging over 30 points a game for the last two years. We aren't talking about a true freshman, we are talking about someone who has been on the team for 4 years. This team was expected to win at least 6 games, and instead, we have struggled against the easiest part of our schedule because of the QB. Wolford did not have the offensive weapons that Mitch has. This isn't even an apples-to-oranges comparison, this is apples-to-horseshit.

Newman was Hartman's backup in 18, but then played and the coaches realized what they had, and then Newman went on to start 2019. You don't know what you have at QB until they play, and that can work both ways. Griffis has not shown improvement this season. It is time to see what we have in Kern. I am not saying Kern is Newman, I am saying Griffis has not shown enough to be kept in as the starter.
I'm #TeamMizzel if we're employing this argument..

We know what we have in Kern imo, it's his 5th year in the program.

I think this is a little bit reductionist, Hartman was also struggling with some injury stuff early 2019 too which locked in Newman iirc. I also think Newman/Hartman were both very good but in drastically different ways (Newman had the phsyicality and a pretty deep ball when he had time, Hartman a much better passer overall and better utilized the RPO to pass effectively vs Newman preferring to run) so the coaches probably were just making a tough call on that one and figuring out which gave them the chance to win more games.

Back