• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

GT @ WF: and it all goes to shit

-9 on the boards. Good thing we have some big men coming in next year, right?!?! 3-15 from 3. Good thing we have some shooters coming in next year, right?!?!

No shooting, no size, no athleticism, no coaching.

-9 on the boards. Good thing we have some big men coming in next year, right?!?! 3-15 from 3. Good thing we have some shooters coming in next year, right?!?!

We just really bottom-of-the-barreled recruiting positions of need over the past two years.

Prepare your anuses for "Rondale is actually the BEST"-talk.

It works well enough for Roy...

I wasn't following the thread that closely, but how'd you like the Travis McKie that showed up today? At least somebody bothered to...

Loved it. After he got rejected by Miller and threw down the next one, it was nice to see the intensity. The step Travis has to make is to play consistently well when the team is playing well. He's always been a candidate to get hot in garbage time or when we're chasing a deficit. But you could see that forced 3 coming a mile away.

His free throw shooting has been insane though. 29 for his last 30.

Even with Codi getting hurt, this was maybe the worst coaching job of [Redacted]'s tenure. Seemed like panic. Didn't go with what worked at various points in the game, didn't get good shots at critical times, didn't call timeout to setup critical possessions... We had the look of a team that was completely out of control.

This is the problem, though.

You're expecting mid-three-star, top-200 RSCI recruits to play like McDonald's All-Americans and this is what you get. Some of our guys have really overachieved this year, but there's a reason that they call it regression to the mean. That's exactly what these letdown games are - regression to the mean. Great coaches (and I mean GREAT coaches) can get this level of talent to overachieve on a nightly basis, but our staff sucks.

I don't fault these guys for being mediocre, especially when there's nothing in the way of talent on the bench to help them through it (y'all are being very kind to Chill, btw - he's a Division 1 AC, and we're heaping more responsibility on the undertalented kids our staff recruited [because they unequivocally suck] rather than the coaches that have failed to prepare them for conference games).

Yeah all that is fine. I just don't agree with the insinuation that these kids would be better playing Roy ball w/o structure. They aren't good enough players in any system and I think we are all on the same page.

Also, as an extension of the same premise, Bz is a UR-2 star coaching recruit who is performing at a UR-2 star level for 4 years. Doing about equal to his historical norms. Which is why I will always blame Wellman more for this mess than anyone.

Well in 14 wins before today Travis is averaging a 120 offensive efficiency. In seven losses he's averaging a 90. So he's definitely playing significantly better in wins - at least based on raw statistics.

Madison has got to learn to shoot. The ball dies in the half court with him. He has blow by speed to either hand, he has great reach, moves well on d and sees the court. But you cannot blow by someone standing four feet away.

Seems unbelievable that we are unable to recruit a two guard.

Loved it. After he got rejected by Miller and threw down the next one, it was nice to see the intensity. The step Travis has to make is to play consistently well when the team is playing well. He's always been a candidate to get hot in garbage time or when we're chasing a deficit. But you could see that forced 3 coming a mile away.

His free throw shooting has been insane though. 29 for his last 30.

Even with Codi getting hurt, this was maybe the worst coaching job of [Redacted]'s tenure. Seemed like panic. Didn't go with what worked at various points in the game, didn't get good shots at critical times, didn't call timeout to setup critical possessions... We had the look of a team that was completely out of control.

Agree with all of that. For that reason, though, I'm not really too surprised by how badly our players played today.

Yeah, Corey was appropriately hard on us. But I wouldn't have gone to a zone trap till late. We sucked at it in the 1st half and gave up a few bunnies. Speaking of bunnies, they got way too many easy looks down low throughout the game. Our help continues to be awful. If we can't help, why not just play a packed in zone and made sure we just got a hand in #11's face? GT is too offensively challenged to solve a zone without Golden.

And I know some folks are saying well, it's tough without CMM. But their back-up PG is worse than Jones. He did nothing but dribble up and hand it off. And GT's 2 best players were also out. Now I make room for the possibility that their walk-ons are better than ours, but we lost to a bad team playing walk-ons at home. It's about as pathetic as you can get.

It did seem like panic. I understand wanting to press them but we were gambling and getting burned badly. They can't shoot. We let them get off. The game was lost in the first five minutes and that is on Buzz. Absolutely!

Tech is a bad team. Bad.

It did seem like panic. I understand wanting to press them but we were gambling and getting burned badly. They can't shoot. We let them get off. The game was lost in the first five minutes and that is on Buzz. Absolutely!

Tech is a bad team. Bad.

Yep. There were two bad teams on the floor today.

Tech was 6-11 from 3 in first half, can't shoot but we made them all american.

We had had like 4 straight games where our opponents couldn't throw it in the ocean from the perimeter. this was like our game at VT in reverse.

Tech was 6-11 from 3 in first half, can't shoot but we made them all american.
Buzz said we're an elite 3 point defense on the radio show on Thursday. No Buzz, our opponents have just missed wide open shots. I think Duke will hit at least 10 from deep on Tuesday.

Did anyone listen to the post-game presser? Curious to here what nuggets of wisdom Bz has for us today.

J.P. Mundy ‏@JP_Mundy 43m
Codi says he's going to play against Duke on Tuesday. We'll see.

Why? Just rest up, dude. We're gonna get slaughtered one way or the other.

Did anyone listen to the post-game presser? Curious to here what nuggets of wisdom Bz has for us today.

Wake Forest Head Coach Jeff [Redacted]

Opening statement...
"Give Georgia Tech a lot of credit. They came in here and played very well. Our players fought but we could never seem to get any kind of momentum at all. We always seemed to be one or two plays behind as we tried to battle back, whether it be a timely stop, a bucket, a loose ball or whatever we couldn't seem to get any traction whatsoever. It's a bad loss for us. We will just have to get back to the practice floor tomorrow and regroup and keep fighting through this."

On the status of Codi Miller-McIntyre...
"He turned his ankle and was unable to go. I am sure he will be day-to-day."

On beginning of the game...
"We were sluggish. We missed a couple of layups out of the gate and stepped slow defensively; we didn't get the ball to the rim. I thought Georgia Tech was too comfortable early on shooting the basketball. They were just too comfortable and all of a sudden they gained confidence and momentum and we were chasing."

Back