• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Gun Control Laws

The cat is already out of the bag. You either do nothing about them, or institute some type of buy back program.

Yeah that's what I'm getting at. Pandora's box has been left wide effing open how in the world do we get it closed up?

Its also possible that your mom doesn't have to take donkey punches to make a living, but highly unlikely.

I am not sure where that post by DreamOn was from so I am quoting TABs, but if the solution you propose involves putting guns in school and arming teachers you have lost all perspective.

tintin -- did you miss where you are raising the cost of gun ownership (by mandatory insurance/licensing) AND instituting a buy back program? A lot of people would decide that owning a gun is too onerous for them with the new policies and decide to sell their gun. THAT'S how you get the guns out of circulation

That doesn't mean you can't do anything about it. You can and we should. It's a no-brainer.

And I don't see how the proposals I have seen here help. They're non effective jokes of solutions, in my opinion

I think there is a good chance my proposal would have caused Nancy Lanza to have fewer guns in her house, perhaps keep them locked up and away from this shooter.

Sent from my DROID RAZR using Tapatalk 2

And I don't see how the proposals I have seen here help. They're non effective jokes of solutions, in my opinion

You haven't really said specifically why you think these solutions wouldn't work, and you're kind of ignoring the legitimate posts while you stick to your strawman of "the bad people could still get guns"

tintin -- did you miss where you are raising the cost of gun ownership (by mandatory insurance/licensing) AND instituting a buy back program? A lot of people would decide that owning a gun is too onerous for them with the new policies and decide to sell their gun. THAT'S how you get the guns out of circulation

Now maybe this is just my personal experience ruining my perspective so don't just blow up at me I admit that, but so many people just don't have their guns registered, so how is that going to help having registered guns heavily insured or bought back?

Now maybe this is just my personal experience ruining my perspective so don't just blow up at me I admit that, but so many people just don't have their guns registered, so how is that going to help having registered guns heavily insured or bought back?

Because if you institute stiff penalties for not having your gun registered, those people would be running a HUGE risk by keeping their guns not registered, and could pretty much never take their unregistered gun out in public without facing huge jail time.

Then, they can hoard their guns and hope to the lord that they never get caught using them to commit a crime or that someone else commits a crime with them... It's not a cure-all, but what 923 outlined is a pretty pragmatic solution to gun reform. I'm still not sure what your problem is with his proposal outside of the fact that it's a proposal.

Strawman. I'm not advocating against any policies, I'm just trying to hear one explained that I think will actually help. Which none of the proposed, in my opinion, would

That's exactly what you're doing. Or more like "nope, that wouldn't work" robo-response to everything proposed. Many of these proposals, ineffective though you may find them, are steps in the right direction. You're missing the forest for the trees. I wasn't using education as a straw man, rather as an illustrative parallel that there need to be small steps in a direction leading towards paradigmatic change. And you're just parroting "nope, won't work."

Because if you institute stiff penalties for not having your gun registered, those people would be running a HUGE risk by keeping their guns not registered, and could pretty much never take their unregistered gun out in public without facing huge jail time.

These crimes of convenience that you are really what you are arguing against (if I understand you correctly), happen in public? How many people take their guns out in public? Especially their unregistered ones? You would already get in huge trouble for that if caught, right?

That's exactly what you're doing. Or more like "nope, that wouldn't work" robo-response to everything proposed. Many of these proposals, ineffective though you may find them, are steps in the right direction. You're missing the forest for the trees. I wasn't using education as a straw man, rather as an illustrative parallel that there need to be small steps in a direction leading towards paradigmatic change. And you're just parroting "nope, won't work."

This is exactly what you're doing, tintin. Pos-rep, townie.

I think I am having a good discussion with BBD, you're the one just parroting that I'm not listening.

These crimes of convenience that you are really what you are arguing against (if I understand you correctly), happen in public? How many people take their guns out in public? Especially their unregistered ones? You would already get in huge trouble for that if caught, right?

Dude, what's your point? The answer to all of those questions is yes. You know it's yes. Now, what's your point outside of to go the ELC "meh" route in lieu of adding anything to this conversation?

What, in particular, makes these proposals ineffective in your opinion?

On the news Saturday they were showing a gun buyback that was going on in Camden. They were filling trash cans full of guns and carting them away to be destroyed. The people interviewed mainly said that they had guns around the house but they never used them, and the events on Friday were enough inspiration to get rid of them.

That's a start to getting guns away from where thieves can stumble across them. Sure it's not much, but better than just saying "welp, nothing we can do about it."

Back