• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Gun Control Laws

On the news Saturday they were showing a gun buyback that was going on in Camden. They were filling trash cans full of guns and carting them away to be destroyed. The people interviewed mainly said that they had guns around the house but they never used them, and the events on Friday were enough inspiration to get rid of them.

That's a start to getting guns away from where thieves can stumble across them. Sure it's not much, but better than just saying "welp, nothing we can do about it."

But avalon, these things wouldn't work. Your eyes must have deceived you.

On the news Saturday they were showing a gun buyback that was going on in Camden. They were filling trash cans full of guns and carting them away to be destroyed. The people interviewed mainly said that they had guns around the house but they never used them, and the events on Friday were enough inspiration to get rid of them.

That's a start to getting guns away from where thieves can stumble across them. Sure it's not much, but better than just saying "welp, nothing we can do about it."

Impossible, bro. tintin disagrees.

These crimes of convenience that you are really what you are arguing against (if I understand you correctly), happen in public? How many people take their guns out in public? Especially their unregistered ones? You would already get in huge trouble for that if caught, right?

I'm arguing against the widespread proliferation and availability of guns. If you increase the cost of ownership, institute accountability so that people secure their weapons better, and offer to buy back any guns that people don't want to have around, then you reduce the circulation of guns. Period.

There would still be an underground black market for guns, but if legal guns get more expensive, then black market guns get even more expensive, and people wouldn't be able to get them as easily.

I'm arguing against the widespread proliferation and availability of guns. If you increase the cost of ownership, institute accountability so that people secure their weapons better, and offer to buy back any guns that people don't want to have around, then you reduce the circulation of guns. Period.

I guess when it comes down to it I'm just in the old camp of you're only taking the guns away from the people who won't inappropriately use them. Thank you for your responses

Also, I would posit that the vast, vast majority of the American public does NOT know where to go and how to obtain a black market assault weapon, like you do.

I guess when it comes down to it I'm just in the old camp of you're only taking the guns away from the people who won't inappropriately use them. Thank you for your responses

I think most people who have shot someone with a gun (either on purpose or accidentally) would have fallen into the category of "people we don't think would inappropriately use them" right up until the point that they DID.

I think most people who have shot someone with a gun (either on purpose or accidentally) would have fallen into the category of "people we don't think would inappropriately use them" right up until the point that they DID.

^^ This here is a great post.

These crimes of convenience that you are really what you are arguing against (if I understand you correctly), happen in public? How many people take their guns out in public? Especially their unregistered ones? You would already get in huge trouble for that if caught, right?

People take their guns out in public ALL THE FUCKING TIME. That's the problem, perhaps not for mass murders, but certainly for loads of other homicides in this country which, mind you, produce a higher death toll than mass murders.

And I guess I disagree. I really have been trying to work out my own thoughts on this, as I truly don't like guns, they scare the shit out of me. But after the attacks from others (not you) because I don't share the same opinions I'm just going to bow out of the discussion. And I don't mean that as a taking my ball and going home dwarf, but because I simply wasn't seeking to get into a personal attack type discussion and have no desire to do so, my thoughts and concerns are legitimate and genuine. I truly appreciate your responses

This thread (along with most others in the Tunnels) encapsulate what is wrong with the debate about any topic in America. Very few people use data to back up their arguments and the most vocal people are usually the least informed.

charts_illegal.png

http://www.motherjones.com/politics/2012/07/mass-shootings-map

This chart should be unsurprising considering that black market weapons are more costly to obtain than legal weapons. And given that cost structure, it is likely (certain, really) that some individuals who obtained legal weapons would not have obtained a weapon at all had they been forced to turn to the black market. We'll never been able to shut out ALL criminal gun activity, but we can certainly cut out SOME of it, and that saves lives.

Let's save some lives.

This thread (along with most others in the Tunnels) encapsulate what is wrong with the debate about any topic in America. Very few people use data to back up their arguments and the most vocal people are usually the least informed.

Cognitive dissonance is so strong on issues like this that someone read your data that was troubling re: number of guns in America and thought that it said the exact opposite.

charts_illegal.png

http://www.motherjones.com/politics/2012/07/mass-shootings-map

This chart should be unsurprising considering that black market weapons are more costly to obtain than legal weapons. And given that cost structure, it is likely (certain, really) that some individuals who obtained legal weapons would not have obtained a weapon at all had they been forced to turn to the black market. We'll never been able to shut out ALL criminal gun activity, but we can certainly cut out SOME of it, and that saves lives.

Let's save some lives.

I've been saying this for a long time. The average Joe has no idea how to approach getting an illegal weapon. It would be a HUGE barrier for crime, IMO.

And I guess I disagree. I really have been trying to work out my own thoughts on this, as I truly don't like guns, they scare the shit out of me. But after the attacks from others (not you) because I don't share the same opinions I'm just going to bow out of the discussion. And I don't mean that as a taking my ball and going home dwarf, but because I simply wasn't seeking to get into a personal attack type discussion and have no desire to do so, my thoughts and concerns are legitimate and genuine. I truly appreciate your responses

boo fuckin hoo. maybe people wouldnt call you out if you didnt just repeat i disagree without ever explaining why. i disagree with plenty of people on plenty of issues, but if they explain their positions, I have nothing but respect. Maybe collect your thoughts on the matter with evidence before getting into this discussion. I don't mean to be so harsh, and I'm definitely channeling a lot of frustration towards you as a dissenting voice, and one that's not just around to troll like DreamOn. Just saying it'd be nice to hear the opposing view thoughtfully evinced instead of blindly supported.

I've been saying this for a long time. The average Joe has no idea how to approach getting an illegal weapon. It would be a HUGE barrier for crime, IMO.

Yeah. It requires more resources, knowledge, and time to obtain an illegal weapon.

The "time" component alone is a huge barrier, considering that many shootings are more impulsive than extensively planned. Not all, of course, but many.

Data are helpful tools, but as FYC pointed out, they can mislead and be unhelpful. Correlation is often spectacularly misleading.

Back