• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Happy Labor Day!

I mean someone dropped the “you contribute nothing to society” while being a software salesman like come on.

However there’s a reason Labor has lost a lot of pull, it’s because those “skilled” jobs that were talked about are by the very nature of being eliminate through automation, unskilled. Being a human is no longer a skill hell for some stuff it’s a huge detriment.

I mean someone dropped the “you contribute nothing to society” while being a software salesman like come on.

However there’s a reason Labor has lost a lot of pull, it’s because those “skilled” jobs that were talked about are by the very nature of being eliminate through automation, unskilled. Being a human is no longer a skill hell for some stuff it’s a huge detriment.

One of the key arguments for UBI...

Reactions: DG3
The funniest thing is unlike most people on these boards who were handed a degree by mommy and daddy from wake. Me and Creamy grew up in town, and cut our teeth going to shitty schools and finding our ways on our own.

You suck at the drums.

Lol I’ll drum circles around you, software boy. I’m a townie too, real proud of you for working your way out and then supporting the worst policies out there for working people. You should be proud!

I'm usually with you, but having a hard time understanding your point this time.

My point is that these punks work a summer job and then go and cast their vote for policy makers who scam labor to benefit management time and again, but demand we believe they have earned some mythical workingmans cred. They’re frauds, and deserve to be called out

The funniest thing is unlike most people on these boards who were handed a degree by mommy and daddy from wake. Me and Creamy grew up in town, and cut our teeth going to shitty schools and finding our ways on our own.

You suck at the drums.

Always the victim.

And as a practical matter, I've always been talented enough that I have never had to work that hard.

You suck at the drums.

The notion that anybody who went to Wake was handed a degree is pretty ridiculous. Sure, my parents are wealthy and paid for me to go to school, but wake was hard and I worked my ass off to get my degree. Different kind of work than digging ditches, or whatever, but that degree was not handed to me.

We celebrate Labor Day by working.

Then came home and grilled hamburgers.

Happy Labor Day to all.

When I went to Wake, it was the cheapest school I applied to at the time. My four years cost less than it costs today to make it to mid-November of freshman year.

For the record, I went to a middle class HS. We sent about 1/4 of our graduates to Ivy and Ivy-like schools. I think we sent about 90% to four year schools.

So, cata, your statement is kinds BS.

This seems high for middle class.

What are Ivy-like schools?

Wake, Oberlin, Northwestern, Wellesley, Weslyan and others.

Runner, you have to understand at that time even the high end schools were often below the per capita income. Wake cost about 1/3 of that number in 1970. Today, it costs over the per capita number. Our school had an extremely high number of National Merit Scholars.

As to the number of people going to college, it was college or Viet Nam. That would tend to make kids study more than they normally would.

We also were nationally ranked in basketball, football and wrestling. We had two first round picks in baseball between my class and a year or two after.

A couple years ahead of me was Dr. David Hartman. He is blind, was a wrestler and became a psychiatrist(there was a TV movie about him). A couple of years after me was Michael Sembello, who wrote Maniac for Flashdance.

It was just one of those freaky things. All the stars aligned for a few years.

I'd guess we lived in a house smaller than 80-90% of those who post here. However, in our neighborhood were an MLB All-Star RF, the voice of NFL Films (John Facenda), legendary sports commentator, the recently deceased Jack Whitaker and of course the board's (and Tim Duncan's) favorite NBA ref, Joey Crawford (whose dad was an MLB ump for thirty years as well his older brother Gerry who also an MLB ump {and president of the umps union) for thirty plus years.

Thank you RJ for the completely irrelevant anecdote.

I used to drive a forklift and load trucks at a Dr. Pepper warehouse. If that job had the same pay and benefits as my current job, I'd trade careers in a heartbeat. I might never retire. That job was fun and rewarding as fuck.

Back