• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Has anyone owned a Saab or a Lexus IS 250?

dirtydeac

Reaction score
I'm looking at buying a 2008 Saab 9-3. Anyone have any feedback? I have no experience with Saab cars....will the maintenance kill me?

Last edited:
run like hell. my wife bought a new saab in 2006, and the engine blew a valve 30,000 miles into it. warranty covered it, got it back and 3 months later transmission went out

i know i sound like an isolated incident, but after reading a lot of internet forums, i was not alone

run like hell. my wife bought a new saab in 2006, and the engine blew a valve 30,000 miles into it. warranty covered it, got it back and 3 months later transmission went out

i know i sound like an isolated incident, but after reading a lot of internet forums, i was not alone

Thanks for the feedback...I've been getting mixed responses but I really like the car. What type of Saab did your wife have?

I have a 2004 9-3 convertible and I love it. Maintenance isn't cheap, but it's expensive on any car these days.

I'm still driving a 2000 9-5. It's been a great car. 130,000 miles and very few problems. Almost time for a new clutch.

Maintenance on Swedish cars is fucking expensive. If you have the money and love the car, it's worth it for the luxury. I loved my Volvo while it ran, but couldn't afford the maintenance on pretty simple stuff.

Used to work at a Cadillac-Saab dealership. All the salesmen and maintenance workers would joke about why anyone would buy them. We moved quite a few, but the fight was over not getting stuck with a Saab demo.

I dated a girl that had two of them. She had one that was like 20 years old and then bought a 9-3 when she graduated from wake.

Maintenance on Swedish cars is fucking expensive. If you have the money and love the car, it's worth it for the luxury. I loved my Volvo while it ran, but couldn't afford the maintenance on pretty simple stuff.

True, but I know a Saab guy in high point who charges a fair price and does a good job.

Thanks for the help...I'm still torn..for every person that says they love them, there's another person that says stay away. :(

Thanks for the help...I'm still torn..for every person that says they love them, there's another person that says stay away. :(

I'm on my 2nd Saab, I have a 2004 9-5, it has about 80k on it and it runs like a top.

If you put premium gas/synth oil in it and keep it on a solid maintenance program, my Saab guy told me it can run for 300k.

My previous Saab did NOT like rush hour traffic (I live in Atlanta and used to have a 45 min commute).

This car hasn't had to deal w/ that, so...if this car is not for a longer than 20 min commute, I say go for it. Swedish cars are fantastic and very safe.

When the car does need to get fixed, expect to pay 1k at least. FYI

You know what the difference between a Saab and a porcupine is right?

The porcupine has the pricks on the outside.

My dad still has a 1989 900 Convertible that my parents bought new. Not sure how many miles on it....it has been a third car for 15 years or so....but it still runs great. I know the clutch has been replaced, and regular maintenance has been done.

I'm on my 2nd Saab, I have a 2004 9-5, it has about 80k on it and it runs like a top.

If you put premium gas/synth oil in it and keep it on a solid maintenance program, my Saab guy told me it can run for 300k.

My previous Saab did NOT like rush hour traffic (I live in Atlanta and used to have a 45 min commute).

This car hasn't had to deal w/ that, so...if this car is not for a longer than 20 min commute, I say go for it. Swedish cars are fantastic and very safe.

When the car does need to get fixed, expect to pay 1k at least. FYI

You have just stated that it needs premium gas and synthetic oil, cannot handle over 20 minutes of a commute, requires a solid maintenance program, and all repairs are over $1,000 ... yet somehow that is supposed to be fantastic? That sounds like a pretty damn shitty car to me, plus it looks like a rolling turd. The Swedes should stick to meatballs.

You have just stated that it needs premium gas and synthetic oil, cannot handle over 20 minutes of a commute, requires a solid maintenance program, and all repairs are over $1,000 ... yet somehow that is supposed to be fantastic? That sounds like a pretty damn shitty car to me, plus it looks like a rolling turd. The Swedes should stick to meatballs.

Getting out after a multi-hour trip and feeling like you just left a cloud...GREAT car.

Have had a 2003 9-5 for 4 years. Love it. Only had routine maintenance. No problems. Typically wait every 4-5k for oil change. Put regular gas in it.

Made from jets

STAY AWAY, terrible cars, they look like a rich mans car because you have to spend rich mans money on them...

Back