• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Has anyone owned a Saab or a Lexus IS 250?

lexus repairs may be expensive (as all luxury brands are), but lexuses in general are one of the most reliable brands out there, and generally need far fewer repairs than many other luxury lines.

721690_x640_01.jpg

I'm getting cold feet on the Saab and I'm looking at a 2008 Lexus IS 250. Anyone know about this car? Not ruling out the Saab.

Just passed on an IS250, but it was between the IS and the vehicle we ended up with. That being said, the IS was really nice. Had a very smooth ride, well equipped, good reviews, etc. They seem to hold resale value well and seem to be reliable. For us it came down to liking the the other car more.

The IS250 is not a very powerful car though, coming in around 204HP, I believe. Not sure if that's important to you, but I don't like having cars that feel underpowered.

Just passed on an IS250, but it was between the IS and the vehicle we ended up with. That being said, the IS was really nice. Had a very smooth ride, well equipped, good reviews, etc. They seem to hold resale value well and seem to be reliable. For us it came down to liking the the other car more.

The IS250 is not a very powerful car though, coming in around 204HP, I believe. Not sure if that's important to you, but I don't like having cars that feel underpowered.

Do you mind me asking what other car you went with?

I actually looked into buying an IS250 v G35 a few years ago but did not do either. Solid cars. LOVE the IS though.

MrsNFDeac has a 2010 IS250. She worships it. It is exactly what she wants (sporty and comfortable). So far we have had zero problems with it. We have been warned that tire replacement costs are an expected $$ issue, but we will deal with it.

I think it is a good car, but it is definitely her car not mine. I don't really enjoy driving it. It is too small for me. I'm a fairly big guy, and I suppose I'm used to bigger vehicles, but it is not big enough for me to be comfortable, driving or riding really. The only other negative thing I have to say about is that I don't care for the bouncy, sporty ride. It has the low profile tires that I suppose contributes to that feel. It doesn't bother the Mrs. at all.

MrsNFDeac and I are both happy with the IS250 so far. Two thumbs up!

I also just came down to the IS250 and the Infiniti, except I was down to the G25, not the G35 (I wanted less HP, the 250 is really more comparable to the G25 and the 350 is more comparable to the G37). Like leftcoast, I liked the Lexus and would have had no problem driving it, but loved the Infiniti. I don't think you'll be disappointed with the 250, but if you have some time to look around, I would see if you can find a G35/25/37 and drive it just to see what you think of it. I can't speak to reliability on the Infiniti, as I bought (leased) new and I still have under 1000 miles on it, but I absolutely love the car.

If you're genuinely interested in the IS250, don't test drive a 350 unless you can afford it. I knew I was getting a 350 when I bought mine and never test drove a 250, but having had a number of 250s as loaner cars, I can't imagine wanting to buy one if I knew what the 350 could do.

Also, you will be incapable of driving in the snow, regardless of whether or not you get the AWD.

FWIW, I have had some issues with my 350. Just had to get the front rotors replaced at 60k, and I had to get new tires after 30k (not too abnormal, but expensive). It's not cheap to maintain a Lexus, but its not usually cheap to maintain a luxury car period (even a relatively cheap one).

I looked at buying an IS300 back in 2007. From what I read, IIRC, replacing the front rotors right around that 60-75k range was very common.

I drove one for an entire night in the rain and had a hard enough time. Yes, driving it in the snow would have been impossible without some severe sandbaggery in the trunk.

something to keep in mind with lexus right now: i'm guessing you already have a specific vehicle in mind, and the price on it is reasonable to you. but the lexus manufacturing plants were completely destroyed in the tsunami. toyota and honda were hurt, but they both have plants in the US and elsewhere. lexus is still almost 100% in japan. so there's a SERIOUS inventory shortage right now. because of that, most retailers have raised their prices even on the used cars (they're having to get more from auction instead of trade-ins, and auctions are always more expensive). so if you're willing to wait a few months, the prices should come back down. but if you've already got your eye on a specific one and the price seems alright, go for it.

Is the 3 series just out of your price range? It is still the gold standard.

Is the 3 series just out of your price range? It is still the gold standard.

My kind of man...

Like I mentioned on another thread, I've had a 325xi (all wheel drive because I live in NH) for almost 5 years now. The only real problem is the tires are run flat and are expensive to replace. Other interesting tidbit, the manufacture recommends ~10K miles between oil changes (depending on your driving habits), so while they can be pricey when it's time, that's nice to go that long between changes. Good luck. Getting a new car kicks ass.

I had two 9-3s, though I leased both, so I was under warranty the entire time I had them and never had to pay a dime out of my own pocket for repairs. If I recall, the AC went out and a clutch spring came loose on one and the other one was out of alignment from the factory and ended up ruining the tires in about 2-3 months. Also, I never had a battery last more than 2 years in either and there may have been a few other minor things go wrong. In general, I liked the way the cars drove, but I don't think I would have the guts to own one outside of the warranty period.

We don't want to hear your Saab stories.

[/rim shot]

IS250 pros:

Lexus quality.
Reliable. Totally.
Cheapest Lexus makes a Charlotte slob look like a slim sophisticated Manhattanite
can get AWd and manual
Some very pretty interiors

IS250 cons:

Cheapest Lexus (in Manhattan that is a problem. Charlotte too)
Really slow. Really. Like 8 seconds 0-60 slow. Don't drive the 350 if you are even considering the 250
Seriously cramped interiors unless you are a slim sophisticated Manhattanite like me. Being short helps too.
Some interiors look like ChrisL68's teeth
Different size tires on front and rear. Seriously. So you can't rotate your tires back to front. Severe tire wear.
Lexus maintenance costs.

Last edited:
Lexus pro (I believe all 250s have it):

AIR CONDITIONED SEATS

Serious when I say it was a major factor for me buying it over the G35/37 or a 3-series. That, and I hate BMW interiors, and the Infiniti actually felt more cramped (side to side) for me, even though I know it's actually bigger inside. The only thing I would consider, looking back, with my IS350, is possibly a used S4. Or hell, I could've splurged and bought a new S4...or an A5...sigh...I love Audis...

I would go with an Infiniti G35 or G37 over the IS250. The G will be cheaper and faster and pretty comparable gas mileage. The G is also a little bit bigger. You could also look at an A4 2.0T since it gets the best gas mileage. The CTS and the 3 series are also great options as well. I would avoid a Volvo or a Saab if you are going the used route since their quality has been pretty shitty. Saab and Volvo are notorious for having shitty electronics. The new Volvo's are better and Saab might not be around in a couple of years. Cars are my thing so if you need any help feel free to send me a DM.

You could also look at either an Acura TSX or TL. I have an 04 TSX and it's great and I get 30+ on the highway when I'm going like 80mph. Acuras are very reliable but their styling is either love it or hate it right now.

Last edited:
Back