• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Has the men's basketball program now, finally, hit ROCK BOTTOM?

Have we finally arrived?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
These two scenarios you are describing entail two different kinds of sucking as a coach. One who can’t get his players ready to play and devise a descent game plan and one who can’t get his players to finish a game. Both suck. Individually those results feel different but repeated 30 point losses are embarrassing and repeated 1 point losses are super frustrating. However, as fans, when either of these scenarios happen repeatedly for 4 years the feelings about your basketball program converge to the same place.[/QUOTE]

That may be the case (these boards are strong evidence), but that doesn’t mean that convergence is rational or a reflection of the actual state of the basketball program. Which is ok. Although I think the feelings expressed on this message board are weird or the expressions overwrought,

I don’t begrudge anyone for feeling whatever about Wake Forest Basketball. I get on people when the venting gets over the top or even more so when people try and pass off their feelings as some sort of objective evaluation of the program or make spurious claims about the state of the program because they feel bad.

Feelings aren’t rational and don’t have to be.

Feelings aren’t rational and don’t have to be.

That’s what I just said.

However, it is useful to be aware when your feelings are irrational lest you make the mistake of concluding “I feel bad about X, therefore X is bad.”

There’s also a difference between how you react to bad news and how you feel about it long term. It’s healthy to have a good dose of rationality in the latter. It’s part of the reason I tried to steer clear of criticizing people on game threads last year.

After quiet reflection of an entire offseason, I still conclude that our 20 and 52 ACC record under Danny Manning is wholly unacceptable and evidence of very poor coaching. If it makes you feel better to compare this to the wholly unacceptable terrible Conference record of our previous coach, then have at it. To me that is really a distinction without much of a difference

Last edited:
After quiet reflection of an entire offseason, I still conclude that our 20 and 52 ACC record under Danny Manning is wholly unacceptable and evidence of very poor coaching.

Not sure why you needed an entire offseason for that. It’s a redundant piece of evidence though, 4-14 or 11-20 is all you really needed

Back