• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Has the men's basketball program now, finally, hit ROCK BOTTOM?

Have we finally arrived?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
This thread would be Exhibit A as to why we have either hit rock bottom or are mere micrometers from hitting it.

Which makes it all the more hilarious that y’all spend all your time pointing out what an asshole I am on here (no shit) rather than pointing out how wrong I am.

It takes two, maybe three, questions before y’all run and hide.

Or 36 questions, or 118, or whatever

Like I said, two or three questions does the trick.

Have you asked, “Why am I the way I am?” That’s only one question.

If you are willing to accept that margin of victory and quality of opponent make a difference when evaluating a single win (or loss), why would you deny that it makes a difference when evaluating a series of wins (or losses)?

is this guy really asking why we would apply different standards to the evaluation of one data point vs. a data set with 77 outcomes?

and wondering why no one responds?

No. He is not asking that.

oh, I see

he's playing wordsmithing games

those are fun! (for some people)

play the one where we talk about a hypothetical victory over the #1 team in the conference by 30 points again!

is this guy really asking why we would apply different standards to the evaluation of one data point vs. a data set with 77 outcomes?

Ok. I’ll play. We can use your words (though I don’t think they accurately describe the question I asked).

Explain what you mean by the bold and why you think it’s ok to apply different standards. You seem to think the question is ridiculous, which means it should be easy to answer. Humor me.

not really in the mood to humor you

if you think about it hard enough, I'll bet you can guess

Maybe you would be willing to answer a less “ridiculous” question. How would you evaluate a data set with 77 outcomes? How about 77,000?

So you believe the following statements:

A 30 point loss to the worst team in the conference is just as competitive as a 1 point loss to the best team in the conference.

A 30 point win over the best team in the conference is just as competitive as a 1 point win to the worst team in the conference.

These two scenarios you are describing entail two different kinds of sucking as a coach. One who can’t get his players ready to play and devise a descent game plan and one who can’t get his players to finish a game. Both suck. Individually those results feel different but repeated 30 point losses are embarrassing and repeated 1 point losses are super frustrating. However, as fans, when either of these scenarios happen repeatedly for 4 years the feelings about your basketball program converge to the same place.

I'm wondering how season ticket sales are going? We could hit a record this year.

These two scenarios you are describing entail two different kinds of sucking as a coach. One who can’t get his players ready to play and devise a descent game plan and one who can’t get his players to finish a game. Both suck. Individually those results feel different but repeated 30 point losses are embarrassing and repeated 1 point losses are super frustrating. However, as fans, when either of these scenarios happen repeatedly for 4 years the feelings about your basketball program converge to the same place.[/QUOTE]

That may be the case (these boards are strong evidence), but that doesn’t mean that convergence is rational or a reflection of the actual state of the basketball program. Which is ok. Although I think the feelings expressed on this message board are weird or the expressions overwrought,

I don’t begrudge anyone for feeling whatever about Wake Forest Basketball. I get on people when the venting gets over the top or even more so when people try and pass off their feelings as some sort of objective evaluation of the program or make spurious claims about the state of the program because they feel bad.

Back