• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Has the Wake basketball program passed rock bottom?

Has Wake basketball passed rock bottom?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
There should be another option- Yes, but could fall back with this coach

Iona is top 100 Kenpom and 4th in the nation in scoring. They also beat UGA this year.

Stetson won 8 games in 2010. They scored 89 points against our man defense featuring our "stellar" recruiting class - the didn't even get to 80 points in any of their other wins the entire season after that despite playing in the Atlantic Sun conference (in which they finished 2nd to last).

That was as bad a game defensively as I've ever seen a Wake Forest team play. It was the worst team I've ever seen Wake Forest put on a court - albeit not the least talented (that would be the following year).

I think one of the biggest disagreements between the purist Bzzz haters and those of us who are giving the guy at least some credit for the improvement this year is that game. Kids know how to play man defense before they get to college. Stetson barely even ran an offense - it was just our guys getting beat one-on-one over and over again - and barely caring.

That, to me, was rock bottom and the ultimate level-set of how truly bad we were. They'd only been practicing a few weeks by that point - and offensively the 79 points Wake scored would have been enough to win over any of Stetson's other wins that year - but we let freaking Stetson drop 90 on us. Coaching only goes so far, especially that early in the season and especially when you're talking about man defense against a team running basic flex.

Yes. But we will continue to skid along the bottom for an undetermined amount of time.

Iona is top 100 Kenpom and 4th in the nation in scoring. They also beat UGA this year.

Stetson won 8 games in 2010. They scored 89 points against our man defense featuring our "stellar" recruiting class - the didn't even get to 80 points in any of their other wins the entire season after that despite playing in the Atlantic Sun conference (in which they finished 2nd to last).

That was as bad a game defensively as I've ever seen a Wake Forest team play. It was the worst team I've ever seen Wake Forest put on a court - albeit not the least talented (that would be the following year).

I think one of the biggest disagreements between the purist Bzzz haters and those of us who are giving the guy at least some credit for the improvement this year is that game. Kids know how to play man defense before they get to college. Stetson barely even ran an offense - it was just our guys getting beat one-on-one over and over again - and barely caring.

That, to me, was rock bottom and the ultimate level-set of how truly bad we were. They'd only been practicing a few weeks by that point - and offensively the 79 points Wake scored would have been enough to win over any of Stetson's other wins that year - but we let freaking Stetson drop 90 on us. Coaching only goes so far, especially that early in the season and especially when you're talking about man defense against a team running basic flex.

It's never his fault!
It's never his fauuullltttt
Jeffrey [Redacted]
It's never his fault!

I think the bottom was earlier this yr when the Buzzout brigade went to greensboro and tried to embarrass Buzz and Wellman on tv. Seems like that lit a fire under coach Buzz as he has stepped up his game. I think he noticed, finally, that people were/are disgusted with the product pit on the floor. LOL

I still think we are floating around rock bottom. Can it get any worse? That was a rhetorical question...

We are dragging across the bottom every day that Wellman and Buzz are at the helm. When Wellman speaks out about how happy he is with our program, or when we rush the court because we beat a ranked team at home it's like we hit our head on a rock as we are dragged by the heels along the bottom of the ocean...but it's all rock bottom.

Last edited:
We may be past rock bottom, but we're nowhere near where we need to be here. Wake Forest basketball should not accept mediocrity.

Dangerous to say that our nadir's been passed
when we're headed tomorrow to play Georgia Tech.
I'll say that rock bottom's behind us, at last,
if we get through the season without a train wreck.

For me the rock bottom was Tony Chenault getting blocking by Dan Miller of GT in I think the ACC tournament last year. Tony had three steps to avoid Miller. He could have passed, pulled up for a jumper, backed out, gone reverse layup, but Tony was not capable of changing is body motion with so little time (three fucking steps). Miller blocked Tony's shot with his elbow. WITH HIS ELBOW. At the time I thought I had two more years of watching Tony Chenault in a Wake uniform. That was rock bottom for me.

The Nebraska game was rock bottom I guess for this year, but each year every team does throw up a super dud early and a stinker late. 5-0 Miami lost their 2nd game of the season at home to like Florida County Day or something. Duke just got thrashed by Miami. Those games even happen to NBA teams. So I'm just happy that we have talent again and they seem to really like each other and have the opportunity to be a historically great class.

Couple quick corrections:
1) Last year we played Maryland in the ACCT.
2) 1-0 Miami lost to Florida Gulf Coast. It was a true road game against a pretty solid mid major (they are the favorite right now in the ASun), and Durand Scott didn't play.

For me, I think the answer to the poll is an obvious yes. Objectively, its hard to imagine how anything could be worse than [Redacted]'s first year here. Personally, however, I've never felt worse about Wake basketball than when I left the Nebraska game.

A home loss, to a football school picked last in their conference, is bad enough. But then add in the fact that the game was a total blowout (over at the under 8 timeout), and it happened to our pivotal freshmen class, and it becomes near impossible to 'top'.

My outlook for the program has improved significantly over the past 2 months.

We are not totally out of the woods, but I don't think we'll see another Nebraska/Iona/Stetson type performance the rest of the season. We will def lose games but it won't be awful. That's why I voted "yes"

I will go ahead and say "yes". The State game was good, but I'm not convinced that we can perform consistently. However, I see a lot of good things in the freshman class and if they develop from there, we can progress. Also, with Greg McClinton coming in (who I think is a little underrated) as well as Shelton Mitchell (who has asserted that he will try to get other guys to come with him), I think we've moved past rock bottom. Yes, CJ is our best player, but I think the lack of upperclassmen will definitely have these freshmen grow up a lot faster with the circumstances especially in ACC play. I'm anxious about the future mostly because we lack a true center that has good playing time. Washington needs to develop more and Mitchell can attract some good big men coming in. Overall, I think there is a lot of upside talent-wise for Wake. Granted, I'm not the biggest fan of Buzz's coaching, but I will admit that I do like the cleaning of house (even though the Desrosiers loss kinda hurts now), but I wish we still had a more charismatic coach that could connect with the fanbase and show he can bring together the players with solid coaching more.

I will go ahead and say "yes". The State game was good, but I'm not convinced that we can perform consistently. However, I see a lot of good things in the freshman class and if they develop from there, we can progress. Also, with Greg McClinton coming in (who I think is a little underrated) as well as Shelton Mitchell (who has asserted that he will try to get other guys to come with him), I think we've moved past rock bottom. Yes, CJ is our best player, but I think the lack of upperclassmen will definitely have these freshmen grow up a lot faster with the circumstances especially in ACC play. I'm anxious about the future mostly because we lack a true center that has good playing time. Washington needs to develop more and Mitchell can attract some good big men coming in. Overall, I think there is a lot of upside talent-wise for Wake. Granted, I'm not the biggest fan of Buzz's coaching, but I will admit that I do like the cleaning of house (even though the Desrosiers loss kinda hurts now), but I wish we still had a more charismatic coach that could connect with the fanbase and show he can bring together the players with solid coaching more.

You do realize that Mitchell is a high school JUNIOR right?

No, Tuesday was merely a false dawn.

I'm starting to think rock bottom might strike sometime in late Feb or early March. Maybe even a disastrous blowout loss in the first round of the ACCT followed by a player or two jumping ship.

A SHOCKING point of view

Back