• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Has the Wake basketball program passed rock bottom?

Has Wake basketball passed rock bottom?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
I hope fans realize that the team that got blown out by Iona isn't the same team that takes the court tomorrow. We have a team of babies and they have taken quite a few baby steps since then.

I hope fans realize that the team that got blown out by Iona isn't the same team that takes the court tomorrow. We have a team of babies and they have taken quite a few baby steps since then.

our coach is also a whiny little baby. Love our players and hope they play well, though. But, if we lose someone is getting thrown under the bus.

Babies can step backwards too, you know. I've seen it on YouTube. It's CRAZY

Babies can step backwards too, you know. I've seen it on YouTube. It's CRAZY

Babies usually take a step forward and then fall flat on their face! Haven't seen that under Bzzz before..

Rock bottom for the season? Probably.

Rock bottom for the program? No. That comes when Wellman and Bzz get extensions.

Rock bottom is the apathetic mediocrity that is setting in. The purposely lowered expectations. The hubris shown by leadership. The lies shovled at the fans (you know the entire reason the ncaa, espn and tv contracts exist).

Wake may have hit rock bottom from a competition standpoint (I'm not convinced that's the case but I can understand the argument) but its only going to get worse for the fans that really care about having a great basketball team.

What do people define as mediocrity?

I'll be happy if we make the second round (third round, officially, I guess) of the NCAA tournament three years from now. NCAA tournament and a win there should always be the goal of the program, although I believe goals of individual years can vary based on personnel, if that makes any sense.

If your goal every year, and the way you define success, is to make the final four, there's essentially a 100% chance you'll be disappointed almost every year. That's just the way college basketball is. Doesn't matter if you're a wake fan or a unc fan.

I am not happy with where the program is, but I am relatively pleased with where this team is right now, given its makeup.

What do people define as mediocrity?

I'll be happy if we make the second round (third round, officially, I guess) of the NCAA tournament three years from now. NCAA tournament and a win there should always be the goal of the program, although I believe goals of individual years can vary based on personnel, if that makes any sense.

If your goal every year, and the way you define success, is to make the final four, there's essentially a 100% chance you'll be disappointed almost every year. That's just the way college basketball is. Doesn't matter if you're a wake fan or a unc fan.

I am not happy with where the program is, but I am relatively pleased with where this team is right now, given its makeup.

calipari8jpg-d19a2a6b49998a32_large.jpg

Yup. The long term implications of the current recalibration of expectations for many fans means that rock bottom could still be years away. It won't feel like rock bottom to those drinking the kool aid and buying back into Bzz as the result of his first meaningful win in 3 seasons. If successful, Wellman will have most of the fanbase convinced that rock bottom is actually the pinnacle.

Agreed. It also means Ronnie really is the smartest guy in the room...

I know you are kidding with Coach Cal Irish, but he is absolutely everything wrong with college athletics today.

I know you are kidding with Coach Cal Irish, but he is absolutely everything wrong with college athletics today.

yeah, if it weren't for Cal there would be no 1-and-dones. Why don't you stick with statistics and let BKF handle the moral platitudes.

Last edited:
people who ask these sort of questions are usually naive, or lack sufficient imagination.

Last edited:

Jerry Sandusky says not just no, but hell no.

And Cal may not be Wake material, but Cal does scoff at the notion that aiming for the Final 4 every year is unrealistic.

Jerry Sandusky says not just no, but hell no.

And Cal may not be Wake material, but Cal does scoff at the notion that aiming for the Final 4 every year is unrealistic.

May not make the tournament this year.

May not make the tournament this year.

True, but he goes for it, man. He fucking goes for it. Can't hate him for that. Hate him for other things, but not that. Skip had a similar "shoot for the stars" (I hate that cliche, but it works) philosophy.

Whereas [Redacted]. Fucking [Redacted]. UHH

For the people that voted no, this is more about being stuck below mediocrity than actually being worse than the 8-win season, right? Rock bottom is hard to define.

Rock bottom is the apathetic mediocrity that is setting in. The purposely lowered expectations. The hubris shown by leadership. The lies shovled at the fans (you know the entire reason the ncaa, espn and tv contracts exist).

Wake may have hit rock bottom from a competition standpoint (I'm not convinced that's the case but I can understand the argument) but its only going to get worse for the fans that really care about having a great basketball team.

I voted no. If Buzz is gone after this year, we can debate what was or will be the lowest point of this first three years. But absolute rock bottom will be if the administration allows Buzz to stay. Three more years of knowing that we have this ridiculously sub-standard coach; that would be rock bottom. Condemned to Mediocrity = Rock Bottom

Last edited:
Above, or below? We could be heading towards magma.

I hope that Nebraska was the rock bottom. The team has increasingly - albeit by small but obvious steps - played better since then. But no one can know at this point. Ask us at the end of the season.

I hope that Nebraska was the rock bottom. The team has increasingly - albeit by small but obvious steps - played better since then. But no one can know at this point. Ask us at the end of the season.

I watched both of those games and getting drilled by Clemson on the road felt worse than getting drilled by Nebraska at home.

33, I saw them both too, and there is no way that losing to Nebraska at home is not worse than having an obviously very bad off day against Clemson on the road. We're talking about Nebraska here, you know the Cornhuskers. Even Buzz had owned their asses up to this point.

Back