• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Has the Wake basketball program passed rock bottom?

Has Wake basketball passed rock bottom?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Contract extension for mediocrity is rock bottom. That's the day we are forced to accept mediocrity is the ceiling for which Wellman has reached.

The bar has already changed if what we're headed toward is considered mediocrity. The post-Duncan NIT years were mediocrity. This is plain bad.

For the people that voted no, this is more about being stuck below mediocrity than actually being worse than the 8-win season, right? Rock bottom is hard to define.

ph is correct. constant bubble teams are mediocre. we are hoping to become mediocre.

Rock bottom is three years from now, when a contract extended Bzzz gets this current crop of freshmen (as seniors) into the second round of the NCAA Tourney, only to get smoked by Kentucky and Calipari. "We've come so far!" Wellman will exclaim, and a new era of mediocrity and nice guy culture will have fully taken hold for Mother So Dear basketball.

Rock bottom is three years from now, when a contract extended Bzzz gets this current crop of freshmen (as seniors) into the second round of the NCAA Tourney, only to get smoked by Kentucky and Calipari. "We've come so far!" Wellman will exclaim, and a new era of mediocrity and nice guy culture will have fully taken hold for Mother So Dear basketball.

Yup. The long term implications of the current recalibration of expectations for many fans means that rock bottom could still be years away. It won't feel like rock bottom to those drinking the kool aid and buying back into Bzz as the result of his first meaningful win in 3 seasons. If successful, Wellman will have most of the fanbase convinced that rock bottom is actually the pinnacle.

Irish's scenario is pretty much the best case scenario.

Any poll on this issue that doesn't include a "too soon to tell" option fails on its face. We win one fucking game and everyone starts jumping up and down.

I don't necessarily see how the best case option is for us to be in the second round of the NCAA tournament in three years. I think that's kind of silly.

I also don't see how we haven't hit rock bottom. Just this year we were down 41-5 to Iona (who is 104 in KenPom) and then lost by 16 to Nebraska who's not very good either at home. I think Iona was probably rock bottom but it could have been Nebraska. It would be tough to really get below those two games since we only have conference games left this year, are not likely to lose by 30 to anybody, and Nebraska is worse than any other team in the ACC.

We're obviously not really even close to mediocre as far as big time conference teams go, or especially for Wake fans' expectations, but we're past rock bottom.

Well, if we follow Buzz's pattern established since he got here, we are due to regress terribly before the end of the year.

I think we should identify a rock bottom for every season. I think we've definitely passed rock bottom for this season.

I think the bottom was earlier this yr when the Buzzout brigade went to greensboro and tried to embarrass Buzz and Wellman on tv. Seems like that lit a fire under coach Buzz as he has stepped up his game. I think he noticed, finally, that people were/are disgusted with the product pit on the floor. LOL

So, to clarify, you're saying that I am personally responsible for the rebound of the program.

CACXjJC.gif

Gotta laugh at the wild swings in expectations... post this poll after the Clemson game, I wonder if the percentages would be different, but a 2 pt home win against NC State and everything changes. FWIW, I actually enjoyed watching the NC State game and probably agree with most that the Iona game was rock bottom, but only b/c we won't have the chance to get blown out by a non-con opponent the rest of the year. The closest will be if a 2-15 VPI comes to town in our last game and blows us out by 20, coupled with the news that at least two players intend to transfer... then that would be the new rock bottom for this season. I'll be positive for the team, but just can't see us elevating to mediocrity under Bzz in the short or long-term.

Tie Nation BABY! Time to ditch those sweaty tie-dyes and break out the SILK! Whose with me?! I am headed over to the Deacon to tie an extra long on him. Woot!

i-TnvCGwh-M.jpg

Of course we have gone way past rock bottom...Now we are to halfway point of digging to China...with that being an invitation to the MEAC conference. Fuck you Bzz

Back