• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

HATE CRIME: Racists abduct/torture special needs person, livestream it on Facebook

Sometimes people do things that are racial insensitive or just plain ignorant. They get rightfully called out on it. Then often other people with a political agenda cry out "OMG those black people called her or him a racist!!!!!"

That's who are overusing the term.

It's as if the shepherd boy was crying dog and townspeople who want to discredit the shepherd start screaming "OMG the shepherd keeps crying wolf! We can't trust him!"

We see the same phenomenon on the sports board in that anybody who is critical of a coach is accused of wanting to fire the coach.

Yep, no doubt. And sometimes people who do those types of things are also simply accused of being racists. We see that phenomena all the time as well. Ellen posts a picture of herself riding on Husain Bolt's back. The range of reactions ran the gauntlet from it was funny to it was an insensitive error to Ellen is a racist. Yes, Ellen took a shit ton of flack that ran a wide range of labels. You and I are not the only people in the world who interpret events in the public domain and voice opinions on them.

Explain to me what, strictly in the context of a criminal statute, it adds. Because when you legislate what constitutes a crime, that is all that should matter. What more is there to the picture? What does de facto, practical merits mean? For example, capital murder versus capital hate murder? Is that a really, really bad capital murder? Is "mere" capital murder less evil? Or aggravated assault, versus aggravated assault plus hate?

i can try to answer but isn't it obvious? it's a categorization of degrees of severity and also speaks to a person's intent, both of which are dynamics the law concerns itself with. Unless i misread you, this is akin to not understanding why "aggravated" can preface assault. why do we have malicious intent? mitigating and aggravating circumstances? there just more specific categories or represent an escalation of the accusation. Sure, in a narrow, strictly speaking sense a crime is a crime, but it matters to our system what your motives are.

I'm not an atty so my reasoning isn't based on legal arguments but just layman sense.

i can try to answer but isn't it obvious? it's a categorization of degrees of severity and also speaks to a person's intent, both of which are dynamics the law concerns itself with. Unless i misread you, this is akin to not understanding why "aggravated" can preface assault. why do we have malicious intent? mitigating and aggravating circumstances? there just more specific categories or represent an escalation of the accusation. Sure, in a narrow, strictly speaking sense a crime is a crime, but it matters to our system what your motives are.

I'm not an atty so my reasoning isn't based on legal arguments but just layman sense.

This pretty much nails it.

At least they have expressed remorse, or not. Good grief this is so sick.

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-4092360/Three-teens-24-year-old-charged-wi.html

3BE0197100000578-4092360-image-a-127_1483654681170.jpg

Tanisha's son, pictured with a relative, appears to have a health issue, according to photos she has posted on Facebook

Read more: http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/art...ens-24-year-old-charged-wi.html#ixzz4Uwx7JPDr
Follow us: @MailOnline on Twitter | DailyMail on Facebook

Something to think about is that in 2015, there were only about 12,700 hate crimes reported according to the FBI (https://www.fbi.gov/news/stories/2015-hate-crime-statistics-released ). Now compare that to the 1.197 Million violent crimes that were reported in 2015 (https://www.fbi.gov/news/pressrel/press-releases/fbi-releases-2015-crime-statistics ) .

These statutes are rarely used.

As DM was saying, adding the "hate" charge is no different than have aggravated assault or assault or murder 2 versus murder 1 or special circumstances or many other crimes. It's much more difficult to prove as well.

You aren't a racist. You are just a fucko who swindles folks out of their money for a living. Even if Ph is a racist (hint:'he's not) you are still occupying a rung on the ladder well below him (Eta as a lawyer, me and the rest of the barristers on this board are also below Ph. But still ahead of you).

But hey, you can make another post with ellipses that make no fucking sense. We live in Trump's America. Have at it.

Y'all are both being ridiculous.

Jh, Creamy brought up Dylann Roof.

Creamy, you could've brought up Charles Manson, Richard Ramirez, or Lawrence Brewer (google him) as inhabitants of Hell, but you brought up Roof. Ph interpreted it pretty reasonably, to be honest with you. Today's news cycle is dominated by Roof and these kids in Chicago, so it's reasonable to think that you're attempting to compare them. And Ph is right: Biff said the same damn point and, yet, you don't seem to be interested in labeling all manlets with Wake degrees as racist.

Either post more carefully or don't get butthurt when folks are confused because you are not posting more carefully. Either way, y'all are bringing a lot of baggage into this conversation that doesn't really need to be there.

So we're clear, you felt the guy who felt compelled to point out (unsolicited) that the premeditated torture of a disabled person, broadcast live around the world, for the color of his skin wasn't an act as bad by comparison, wasn't the divisive asshole in this thread?

You aren't a racist. You are just a fucko who swindles folks out of their money for a living. Even if Ph is a racist (hint:'he's not) you are still occupying a rung on the ladder well below him (Eta as a lawyer, me and the rest of the barristers on this board are also below Ph. But still ahead of you).

But hey, you can make another post with ellipses that make no fucking sense. We live in Trump's America. Have at it.

This post hits all of the high points. Talk trash to BKF? Check. Undermine and misinterpret his career choice? Check. Defend PH? Check. Classifying posters socioeconomic status/superiority over others? Check.

Finally, blame everything on Trump? CHECK!!!

This liberal gets it.

Never once pretended that I attended Wake and have always said I went to public school. truth

Die hard Wake fan from birth because of very thick family ties. truth

Like to play devils advocate since I'm the minority on these boards. truth

Have never once been labeled racist or sexists and have strong relationships with whites, blacks, a couple Asians and other minority groups. truth

I volunteer in my community and give back what little I can at 28 years old. truth

Not sure what part of my existence you're referring to.

no amount of volunteering can erase the stain of defending BKF. may your god have mercy on whatever remains of your soul

This post hits all of the high points. Talk trash to BKF? Check. Undermine and misinterpret his career choice? Check. Defend PH? Check. Classifying posters socioeconomic status/superiority over others? Check.

Finally, blame everything on Trump? CHECK!!!

This liberal gets it.

I'm here to entertain. And if we all can't rally around talking shit about lawyers and bkf, what is the point of having these here RJKarl boards?

Don Lemon (who is some guy from CNN) says it wan't "evil."

I don't think it's evil," Lemon said Wednesday night. "I think these are young people and I think they have 'bad home training.' I say, who's raising these young people? I have no idea who's raising these young people. Because no one I know on earth who is 17 years old or 70 years old would ever think of treating another person like that. It is inhumane. And you wonder, at 18 years old, where is your parent?"

http://www.realclearpolitics.com/vi...victim_wasnt_evil_just_bad_home_training.html

Back