• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Hattrick (Online Soccer Management Game)

My PM training approach (*will have to tweak when I get to III):

- Buy 19yo Brilliant PM with at least Solid passing for IM trainees
- Sell as 21yo Supernatural PM
- Use two dominant wingers as starters with at least weak PM. Over the course of a few seasons, they'll pop about twice and still appreciate so that I make a profit when I sell them to upgrade the position
- Use the last two winger spots in friendlies/cup for skill trading -- find players within 2-4 weeks of popping either at formidable or outstanding. Usually clear 200-300k every 2-4 weeks for each position. Very profitable use of 2 1/2 training spots.

1. How high are your starting pm
2. When will you stop training them?

1. How high are your starting pm
2. When will you stop training them?

I'm in the process of developing a new PM training program that will allow me to raise my midfield to a consistent high solid / low exc in order to raise my game.

But as of right now, my starters are Super, Super, WC. I know I said in my description above that I sell once they hit Super, but I'm experimenting with these two guys and will sell at 22yo Titanic. My starting wingers have PM of Formidable and Solid.

For example, I'm contemplating using 1 of my full training spots for skill trading to make up for the lost profitability from keeping IMs that are older. That's one option, but I need to work through the numbers. Also need to put some thought into sequencing and timing of my full trainees to maximize profitability while still have a stable of at least 3 Supers at any time.

I've placed the ten trainees in the order that I would rank them and then have comments on each one and why I've put them there. I'm going to break them up into groups by where they're going to play (League IM's, Friendly IM's, League W's, Friendly W's) and within the groups they're in order. It really doesn't matter who's better between the groups other than moving players up in case of injury.

The numbers in parentheses next to the PM is the lowest level PsicoTSI ranks the player. I don't know if this is still useful on the new match engine, but I used it to help pick out players and it appears to still have at least some usefulness.

The three skills listed in each case are their three best skills. If passing is not one, I've also included passing since it is typically the secondary skill for regular IM's

My Ten Trainees

LEAGUE IM'S

Adolfio Baronio
PM: Passable (6.72)
Passing: Inadequate
Scoring: Weak
QUICK

Comments: My last purchase and by far the best one. The Quick speciality is great for IM's, and the combination of only being 17.23 and being mid-to-high passable makes this a steal where solid 17.50-17.60's are going for well over 100k with inadequate passing

Burak Karadag
PM: Passable (6.19)
Defending: Passable
Passing: Weak

Comments: Karadag's passable defense will be a good secondary skill not only for sale when he comes up in a couple seasons, but also for helping out the backline ratings. I really like this purchase for only 38k, particularly with the TC sitting at 104k.

Xavier Bigorra
PM: Passable (6.06)
Defending: Inadequate

Comments: Probably overpaid for Bigorra, but like his younger age knowing he'll reach solid before he turns 18. Players reaching solid before 18 was my main target for the first 6 trainees. His inadequate defending will help the defense as well and his weak passing isn't going to hurt resale value.

Friendly IM's

Franciszek Cwiekala
PM: Passable (6.13)
Winger: Passable

Comments: He could have easily replaced Bigorra on the first team, but will receive the same training. Since winger skill doesn't matter during matches for IM's, I decided to give Bigorra the boost with his inadequate defense. He is roughly a month ahead of Bigorra in terms of PM though.

Uriel Zubillaga
PM: Passable (6.14)
Scoring: Passable
Defense: Inadequate

Comments: He's a little older than the other trainees but is one of the most well-rounded trainees. While scoring is not important to a normal IM, his passable scoring will still help his price when he comes up for sale. His inadequate defense will once again help the backline.

Ramon Puyol
PM: Passable (6.14)
Winger: Inadequate
Defense: Weak
Passing: Poor

Comments: I like his age and his ability to train up PM to a respectable level. For 10k I don't really mind that his passing is poor, but I wouldn't have paid much more than this for him. He'll be a good player to train up in PM though.

League Wingers

Tadeu Soares
PM: Passable (6.24)
Winger: Weak
Defending: Weak

Comments: His weak winger is slightly a concern and there's a chance he could be switched with Mendes in the future if I need slightly more from the wing. I don't mind the triple weak, but it will drop his resale value. I could have done more with this position but like that I only spent 1k and still have a 17 year old passable PM. He won't pop before 18 since he only gets half training, but this isn't going to hurt too much in my opinion.

Alexander Klimenko
PM: Passable (6.27)
Passing: Wretched

Comments: I like the inadequate winger and the couple more weeks of PM, but the same as Soares I probably could have done better here. He was only 3k though and I don't plan on making too much bank off my bottom four slots. I may try to do something about the wingers in the coming weeks, but we'll see for now.

Friendly Wingers

Dennis Mainwaring
PM: Passable (6.13)
Winger: Poor

Comments: Not great, but younger than others and will sell for a bit in the future. I may go another direction here.

Vincent Mendes
PM: Passable (6.32)
Technical

Comments: Mendes was on the starting roster and may find himself in the starting lineup if I need a boost to wing attack or something. I like the technical as well, but he is slightly older so not sure what to make of that.

All in all I'm happy with the main six trainees and the wingers are kind of meh, but at the same time I never made too much money off wingers and their half training so I'm just kind of "winging" it.

I know this was a lot so if you read the whole thing maybe it's helpful. Any insight is fine as I'm posting this to prompt discussion and questions that anyone may have.

All spots the same

Yeah I think this is why defending takes a week or two longer to pop per cycle than PM, since you can train 10 full spots at a time. I think defending may be the way to go in the future, I just know a lot about the PM market so I figured I'd stick with that.

Really insightful post, numbers. Not sure I could give a similar assessment for my defenders at this point simply because I don't quite know what to expect. You did a better job getting yours younger, though. 5 of my 10 are 18 already. But, one of those 18 year olds is already a solid defender, and one of my 17 year olds is solid as well. We shall see what happens.

I read something (don't remember if it was here or in the official HT forums) where some people will train their main skill for 12-14 weeks and then spend a few weeks on another skill or 2 at the end of a season. Any thoughts on this? Not really planning to do it (unless you convince me I should), just curious.

I know what you're talking about, but I can't remember exactly the details behind it. I think it's that for two weeks (or three if you don't have a qualifier? maybe just two, like I said I can't absolutely remember) you only play friendlies with no league matches so if you want to continue training all your trainees you can switch to something like passes where it A) takes shorter for players to pop and B) more players in the outfield get trained

I can't remember if this is exactly right and someone can fill in the details, but I do remember I did it with set pieces for one week and short passes for another. Or maybe it was short passes one year and set pieces the next, but either way I remember doing it. The third year I had a U-20 prospect so I just kept training PM so I didn't miss a week of training with him.

But to answer your question it's really up to you. I think you can still get one week of training for all your trainees over the course of two weeks (since there are two total matches), or you can try to boost secondary skills. Really a personal decision based on where your team and trainees are at that point in time, but certainly one that we can help with on here when the time comes.

Last edited:
A lot of people train set pieces or passing in the offseason. That's what you read.

As an addendum to the player ranking wakeforest22890 posted, you'll find that form and stamina will greatly impact on-field performance, so that's something to consider. For example, a Solid PM player with Poor form will almost certainly perform worse than a Passable PM player with Solid form. I use a program called Hattrick Organizer to help me determine who my best players are each week when I'm setting my lineup.

Makes since. Sounds like something to revisit in a couple months.

Wow - this thread blew up today. I tagged a few posts that didn't appear to get as much attention, so I'll respond to those.

One question though, training defense, how long will it take a passable/solid defender to "pop" (think I'm using that term correctly)?

Also, I can't believe it took me 5 days to realize that there are only 100 something days in the year (when looking at guys' ages). I'm an idiot.

Pop is the correct term. Here's a great resource to calculate approximate training speeds http://ht-box.ru/training.php

Also, as you've noticed, there are 112 days in a Hattrick year. Therefore, 3 hattrick seasons transpire during one real life year.

So 16 players is obviously the bare minimum - 10 trainees, 1 GK, 5 other outfielders. How many extra would you keep above that?

I would have a sub for every position. Since you already have plenty of defending fodder, you would only need 4 additional players. So, my advice would be to carry 20 players.

ETA: My GK is pretty expensive - something like $1400 in wages/week. Are GK's generally so much more expensive? His skills aren't that good.

Keepers have higher TSIs and wages compared to similarly skilled outfielders. This is not something you need to worry about now, but you pay foreign players an additional 20% to their wages for playing abroad, so it's cost effective to use Americans once you start buying or training players with higher skills/wages. Specifically, using American keepers is smart, because of their higher wages. There's no specific point when it becomes optimal to buy mostly or only Americans, but it's something to keep in the back of your mind. Part of my personal strategy is to buy or train Americans whenever possible.

Hattrick was well represented at the USMNT match last night. From left to right:

Jehovas Wetness, Burton Road Cobfederates (CaptCW), Sherwood Wisdom, Wallburg United

040.jpg

Was messing around on HT today (obviously) and saw that OOMLF has dropped all the way down to V. Wonder how long he lingers in the shadows. Meanwhile, CaptCW (bearded guy in the pic above) has the highest ranked team in North Carolina. My Rowdies are around 7th in NC I think. HTTD, I don't think I saw your team listed...what gives? Did I just miss it?

Was messing around on HT today (obviously) and saw that OOMLF has dropped all the way down to V. Wonder how long he lingers in the shadows. Meanwhile, CaptCW (bearded guy in the pic above) has the highest ranked team in North Carolina. My Rowdies are around 7th in NC I think. HTTD, I don't think I saw your team listed...what gives? Did I just miss it?

My HT team is located in Delaware. I'm ranked number 2. #1 is also in III. #3 is in V, lol.

Locked in a bloodthirsty 32 minute friendly draw. Wish I'd joined back a week earlier so I could have at least had one cup match to tinker with.

Weird...I could have swore I've seen your team listed in NC. My mistake.

No worries. When I joined up in 2007, I started in Maryland (where I went to high school). At some point early in my HT career I switched to Delaware (where my parents live now). I should have gone with NC, since that's actually where I've lived the last 6 years.

Back