• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Hearthstone Thread FTMFW - 4/7 Ashes of Outland release - New Demon Hunter class!

Just rattled off five wins in a row this morning with control priest to get from 10 to 9 (and 3 stars). Beat up on three paladin decks (including the same dude's hobgoblin deck twice), another priest, and a warlock. Had a sweet lethal against the other priest where, with seven total minions on the board (all damaged from his use of a pyro last turn), I used shadow madness to steal his 3/1 lightwarden, played light of the naaru on my hero, played circle of healing (healed seven people), and then healed my hero which provided me just enough for lethal.

Saw numbers climbed all the way to 5. Pretty awesome. I keep hitting a wall at 10 and pint back and forth between 10-14.

Yeah I had a ridiculous run over the weekend and went something like 16-2 over 18 games with my priest. Here's the deck I was using:

Circle of Healing x2
Light of the Naaru x2
Power Word: Shield x2
Northshire Cleric x2
Zombie Chow x2
Wild Pyromancer x2
Shadow Word: Death
Thoughtsteal
Deathlord x2
Blade Master
Shadow Madness
Auchnei Soulprist x2
Holy Champion
Holy Nova
Vol'jin
Lightbomb x2
Cabal Shadow Priest x2
Justicar
Sylvanas
Ysera

I'm still up in the air on potentially adding in a second holy champion and ran with it for a while. A key combo is having pyromancer down with a full board, and being able to get holy champion or a lightwarden down with circle of healing - won a few games that way. One issue with the deck is how long games can take and sometimes you run into a time crunch trying to evaluate all your moves since there are so many variations on what order you should/could play spells with different interactions (pyro and spells for instance, healing after you play naaru on a turn, etc.). Definitely a deck where you want to know the order before you make any moves on the turn or you can get burnt. Made a mistake yesterday and didn't play CoH first with pyro down (everyone was healed so it was just dealing one damage to help me clear the board) and ended up healing everyone I had just hurt with another spell (rookie mistake). I ended up winning but it was lucky after that blunder - only saving grace was I had champion and lightwarden down behind deathlord and the healing buffed them to 11 and 9 attack respectively and with no AoE my opponent was screwed.

The deck has decent burst potential surprisingly. It fared relatively well against paladin (both secret and murloc), very well against warlock (shockingly well against zoo - just have to work on stabilizing and it's over need to know when to heal your hero v. healing the board though), but surprisingly has struggled against control warrior. I went 3-1 against aggroshaman but I think that was just a good run rather than a long-term deal.

Last edited:
What's the best strategy to deal with Secret Paladin with a control based deck? Right before LoE when I was primarily running aggro decks like zoolock and my aggro murlocadin, I had a pretty high win rate against it. Now that I have shifted more toward control style decks (warrior, freeze Mage, dragon priest) because they're more fun, secret paladin has been crushing me.

Of course I've found the opposite is true in some match ups now. As in I was struggling against face Hunter with my aggro decks but with dragon priest it's basically an auto win because early board taunts destroy it.

AOE is really important against Secret Paladin. You want to keep their board perfectly clear, as much and as long, as possible. I find the hardest thing to deal with overall is a snowballing board that eventually procs Avenge and Competitive Spirit. Hard Removal is also good for a buffed Mysterious Challengers or Dr. Boom (BGH, or a class specific card), but removing one threat is not the end of the world for a Secret Paladin.

In general, tempo is a huge issue against ANY Paladin because they all typically run some version of Chow/Secret Keeper, Mini-bot, Muster, Shredder or other great Pally 4 drop. The meta is sprawling with Paladins for good reason, and they all know to mulligan for those cards.

Rogue has a ton of great counters to Secret Paladin (Fan of Knives, Blade Flurry, Dark Iron Skulker for board clear; Backstab, S:I7, Sap for tempo), and is my deck of choice against a heavy Secret Pally meta. You can even throw in a Wild Pyromancer or two for early game, too.

Final thoughts: regardless of matchup, it's good to quickly think through the sequence of secrets popping. You can often gain card advantage by exploiting the secret order, and their general stand-alone weakness. Repentance and Redemption are AWFUL if you know they're coming and play around them.

had a good run from 9 to 7 last night mainly with classic control warrior. might have to switch to aggro or midrange just to have the time to get rank 5.

Using gold I opened a chillmaw and a dreadscale over the break, so that was pretty cool.

Yeah I'm thinking of going aggroshaman this week to try to keep improving my rank so I can get more games in. My priest games were taking 10-15 minutes a piece on average although I did win a few games by turn six.

Reno Paladin is a ton of fun, but very inconsistent.

Just dominated a Secret Pally, which is always a treat. I couldn't help taunting mercilessly. HAPPY FEAST OF WINTERVEIL, CHAMPION!

Broke down and finally put together the aggro shaman. Still learning with it, but bounced from 17/18 to 13/14 last night. Dropped a couple of games to 15 at lunch, but planning on pushing hard tonight to try to get to 10.

May throw some control warrior in there depending on the meta. Ran into a lot of dragon priests last night in this range for some reason.

1) Been trying to get my tournament games in with folks. Limited success.

2) "Happy feast of winterveil, champion!" is WAY more obnoxious than any other emote (or combination of emotes).

My favorite is when people drop a sorry on you thinking it is something great for them and blows up in their face. That happened last night in a dragon priest v dragon priest match. I dropped Chillmaw late in the game with two cards left in my hand. Had 3 cards on the board with 3 or fewer health including a twilight guardian with 2 health. And instead of killing that he ran all his low cost minions into chillmaw and before the last one said sorry thinking my board would be wiped but I had no dragons in my hand. Whoops.

lol well that was just a dumb play by your opponent unless you had lethal if he didn't kill it.

1) Been trying to get my tournament games in with folks. Limited success.

2) "Happy feast of winterveil, champion!" is WAY more obnoxious than any other emote (or combination of emotes).

I'll try to be on some this week Knight. Knight tried to play me once but I was getting off as he was getting on. I still owe three people games.

I've thought about adding entomb into my deck for someone like Sylvannas (who I think is good but isn't GREAT for priest in the current meta) but am not sure if it's a good call or not. Definitely good to clear someone like Tirion but I don't know how much I would use it for +EV compared to Windrunner

My control warrior has been very good the past two days. Definitely takes a while to ladder, but if you can get to turn 5/6 you have a very good chance of winning the game.

Back