• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Hedlund replaces Newman

The operative word is "might" in that paragraph and Grobe is not quoted. He is paraphrased. Having a strong leg is great. Kicking it between two poles at the end of the field is an entirely different matter.

So now we are back to accuracy and he is the most accurate kicker in school history with the strongest leg Grobe has seen. I'm a huge Wake fan and want them to win as bad as anybody. I just don't understand this situation as it seems contrary to the facts?

So, Newman has a good percentage of made kicks, although he has not attempted longer and more difficult kicks. The teamwork with his snapper and holder has not been good.

No one has mentioned that he has a low kick that is more likely to be blocked. So the combination of poor snaps and low kicks makes every attempt an adventure. Swank popped those puppies up high, with power.

I don't remember him ever having a field goal blocked. Perhaps I'm misremembering?

Also, no doubt that Grobe has punted in situations where he would have had Swank attempt a FG. Swank was pretty much the best kicker in the country though so not a fair comparison.

There seem to be some legitimate issues with how special teams are being coached.

If Newman has such a big leg, why does he kick so many low knuckle balls? I understand misses, but he misses ugly and short. I've been impressed with two of Newman's kicks at Wake, the 46 yarder against Notre Dame, and the 46 yarder against Miss. St., the rest of his semi-long attempts have been knuckleballs or worse, and I refuse to believe they've all been bad snaps.

So now we are back to accuracy and he is the most accurate kicker in school history with the strongest leg Grobe has seen? I'm a huge Wake fan and want them to win as bad as anybody. I just don't understand this situation as it seems contrary to the facts?

1) Most accurate leading up to this season. What's his percentage now? Anyone recalculated?
2) I would argue that his numbers are inflated by a bunch of meaningless kicks in 2010. We saw the problems start to surface last year when we were actually competitive and there were kicks that actually meant something.
3) His numbers are inflated because we don't trot him out for the really tough kicks that we let Swank take.
4) It all means very little if you can't do it with the game on the line.

Given the perfect hold (LACES OUT DAMN IT!), who do you trust to make 3 field goals to win the 2006 ACC Championship? Ice-man Swank or "most accurate kicker ever" Newman?

You seem to like to quote Grobe a lot in support of Newman. Newsflash: Grobe just benched him.

If Newman has such a big leg, why does he kick so many low knuckle balls? I understand misses, but he misses ugly and short. I've been impressed with two of Newman's kicks at Wake, the 46 yarder against Notre Dame, and the 46 yarder against Miss. St., the rest of his semi-long attempts have been knuckleballs or worse, and I refuse to believe they've all been bad snaps.

Not ALL 20/22 last year per professional kicking coach on MTOW so maybe those two were the good snaps

When I kicked in HS really bad timing due to bad snaps combined with poor offensive line is a terrible combination for a kicker. There can be absolutely no consistency that way. Doing the same thing everytime is absolutely crucial it destroys your confidence when you never know what's going to happen before you get to the ball. Most people just don't understand how important every little detail is. If your plant foot is off more than an inch or two it can push the ball right or left. You have to start at exactly the right time so your momentum does not stop and take power away. I feel really bad for the kid after watching what's going on and having the luxury of slow motion. I know if it was me I'd be pretty upset.

I've seen him kick a few where the ball was laying on the ground sideways.

Last edited:
Not ALL 20/22 last year per professional kicking coach on MTOW so maybe those two were the good snaps.

Ok, I actually went to see what you're talking about. Wulfeck's kicking coach. You're quote a pissing fest between two kicking coaches. He's sticking up for Wulfeck trying to take the heat off him as the holder. I think he MAY be just a bit biased. Everyone around Alex seems to be WAY biased if his father's posts on here a few years ago were any indication.

http://www.journalnow.net/index.php/mytakeonwake/comments/hedlund-out-of-the-bullpen/
Hey Chris Sailer, Nice post!! I too am a kicking coach who in fact has coached Alex Wulfeck since 9th grade. I don’t appreciate you criticizing my student of the game. He has had over 400 holds in his playing career at Bolles without a miscue. I too have watched every hold over the past two years while at Wake Forest. Let’s talk about the number of saved holds last year. I counted over 20 for the year. I have kicked at the professional level so I think I know a little bit about kicking/punting/ and holding…You really shouldn’t be so disparaging with your remarks, this could really hurt your kicking instruction business!!! This is not very professional on your behalf to blame others.

Ironically, you're taking points made by BOTH coaches (Wulfeck's about holds and Newman's about being overworked), who are actually arguing with each other, in order to make your own argument. You don't think that both of them might be stretching the truth just a bit to support their guy?

Last edited:
Ok, I actually went to see what you're talking about. Wulfeck's kicking coach. You're quote a pissing fest between two kicking coaches. He's sticking up for Wulfeck trying to take the heat off him as the holder. I think he MAY be just a bit biased. Everyone around Alex seems to be WAY biased if his father's posts on here a few years ago were any indication.

http://www.journalnow.net/index.php/mytakeonwake/comments/hedlund-out-of-the-bullpen/

Very valid and point taken. The only thing it really establishes is that there are A LOT of bad snaps. I'm just trying to understand this situation it doesn't add up to me but it really doesn't matter that much lol GO DEACS and from now own GO HEDLUND

Our Dline is boss. If we blitz the shit out of UVA we can win.

Yeah we have a ton of bad snaps which I think makes both the holder and kicker look worse than they are.

Newman makes the kicks vs. MD, we aren't having this conversation. This is kind of like the real world. If I stop producing, I get fired. Especially, when the company I work for has someone who can replace me.

Newman makes the kicks vs. MD, we aren't having this conversation. This is kind of like the real world. If I stop producing, I get fired. Especially, when the company I work for has someone who can replace me.

Who else do you think needs replaced because I didn't see too many people on Saturday that looked like they were doing there job.

I see he has only made field goals against Duke this year.

I'd be fine with benching other players if we have capable back ups. Our D played much better with all of those suspended players out. Perhaps, some of them should be 2nd string now.

Ragland should be benched until he can stop all of the drops.

Last edited:
I see he has only made field goals against Duke this year.

I'd be fine with benching other players of we as capable back ups. Our D played much better with all of those suspended players out. Perhaps, some if them should be 2nd string now.

Ragland should be benched until he can stop all of the drops.

No one on offense did their job I guess you think they should all be benched. Price's completion percentage was terrible. You are not willing to say anything can contribute to a missed fg so I guess you think he should be benched to since nothing can contribute to incomplete passes. Ehrman looked great. Didn't see too many other bright spots other than d-line.

Exception: Bohannon also played well but didn't get to see as much action as he should have we should utilize him alot more. He's an absolute beast by far the strongest person I've ever worked out with. He should be used on 3rd downs as he is an excellent pass catcher and blocker.

It's football. If someone doesn't produce, they shouldn't play. I don't care what position it is. That's my point.

It's football. If someone doesn't produce, they shouldn't play. I don't care what position it is. That's my point.

My point is that there are a lot of factors that going into getting good results. You can't just say look at that incomplete pass, or fumble, or int, or missed fg etc and say hey take that guy out. You actually need to understand football to see what is going on.

Nothing to do with this program is producing so maybe we should just start over?

Great. Another kicker thread. I've never seen such a bunch of leg worshiping football fans.

Back