• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Here's an original thought from ESPN NY

TAB, another aspect is relative population from which to draw. The NY metro area has ~ 6x the population of the Atlanta metro area, so their "fan attendance/participation" should be at least 6x as high as Atlanta's for them to be considered even.

What? You think the Giants should be playing in a stadium twice the size of the May Day Stadium or something?

I was more referencing the baseball teams...WTF is the May Day Stadium?

The May Day Stadium is DPRK's national stadium. Seats 150k. I was thinking you were talking about football, where the Giants/Jets would need to split a 300k seat-ish stadium (i divided by # of teams to measure fans) to put 6x fans in seats.

I think just comparing the market sizes discounts the impact of the cost of land and building in each place, as well as the value of the areas' TV markets.

It will be interesting to see how Doug and Ryan handle it.

Neither one of them are smart enough to just shut him up with numbers. Especially now that Ryan is suing the NFL for his recently found concussion injuries, he should be careful about how cogent he sounds.

Barnwell's article today points out that the NY Giants have one of the worst home field advantage in football, despite their amazing fans.

http://www.grantland.com/story/_/id/7431290/falcons-giants

With a home crowd that occasionally seems more excited to boo their team off the field than cheer them onto it, the Giants really have one of the worst home field advantages in all of football. Historically, they get very little out of playing in New Jersey. The change between their average score differential at home as opposed to on the road from 2002 to 2010 was just 1.2 points, which was the second-worst rate in football.2 This year, the Giants were 4-4 at home while outscoring their opposition by a total of one point, and they were 5-3 on the road, with a total score differential of -7 points.

That malaise at home extends to the quarterback. For the third year in five, Eli Manning's passer rating was better on the road than it was at home, albeit by an ever-so-slight margin: 92.5 at home, 93.3 on the road. His completion percentage and yards per attempt were higher at home, but he also threw more interceptions in the unfriendly confines of MetLife Stadium. You might attribute the lack of home improvement to the often-uncomfortable weather conditions Manning faces in North Jersey, but Manning's predecessors as Giants quarterback (notably Phil Simms) were better at home than they were on the road, as are most quarterbacks. The split doesn't imply anything specific about Manning's style of play or suggest a failing, but it's certainly weird.

Unfortunately for Giants fans, those home issues extend to the playoffs. Despite the fact that Manning's already won a Super Bowl, he has yet to win a home playoff game. It's an extremely small sample size, but Manning has been far worse at home during the postseason than he has been outside of Jersey

On the other hand, Matt Ryan's home vs away stats are amazingly different.

QB Rating: 98.3/81.0
Comp. %: 64.8/58
W/L: 26-6/17-15

This is just an incredibly lazy article written to be used as fodder on sports talk radio.

Absolute horsecrap. Atlanta is the capital of college football, but since that sport doesn't matter in the northeast it gets killed for not supporting professional sports well, despite there being no history for those teams (all came to Atlanta after the 60's, well after CFB was totally entrenched).

I don't know why Los Angeles escapes every time.

Sure they have the Lake-show, but the Clippers are pitiful, Dodger fans don't show up until the 4th inning and I'm not gonna count Anaheim.

Plus they lost 2 NFL TEAMS. NOT ONE. 2.

There are better things to do in LA than NFL football.

Actually if I'm not mistaken LA lost three teams. Didn't the Chargers play in LA at one time?

LA is also used by greedy owners to extort money out of cities for news facilities.

I love the Atlanta angst. It's not really a good city, sports or otherwise.

Says the guy who has probably never been here and never seen the number of hot chicks, quality night life, and a plethora of things to do.

No public transportation to Atlanta stadiums?

Marta goes directly to the Dome. It goes directly to Philips Arena. The train doesn't go right to turner field but you can take a Braves shuttle or walk 20 minutes.

It's the exact same distance to walk to FedEx field from the metro in DC.

No public transportation to Atlanta stadiums?

Marta goes directly to the Dome. It goes directly to Philips Arena. The train doesn't go right to turner field but you can take a Braves shuttle or walk 20 minutes.

It's the exact same distance to walk to FedEx field from the metro in DC.

UGH still mad at the Metro for single-tracking the Blue line the weekend of Man U - Barca.

Absolute horsecrap. Atlanta is the capital of college football, but since that sport doesn't matter in the northeast it gets killed for not supporting professional sports well, despite there being no history for those teams (all came to Atlanta after the 60's, well after CFB was totally entrenched).

That'd be a good excuse, if there weren't cities like Denver to prove you completely wrong.

Not sure what the point of posting this article was, except to rile up the same "Atlanta sucks" "Atlanta is awesome!" arguments from the same people.

It still boggles my mind that the Falcons can't fill a 70,000 seat stadium every game, but the Bulldogs can fill a 90,000 seat stadium.

It's not even an Atlanta thing.

LA can't keep a pro team, but UCLA and USC have stadiums that seat 90,000+?

That'd be a good excuse, if there weren't cities like Denver to prove you completely wrong.

Not sure what the point of posting this article was, except to rile up the same "Atlanta sucks" "Atlanta is awesome!" arguments from the same people.

Denver isn't exactly a hub of college athletics.

not defending the article, but the ESPN stats on attendence are misleading. Giants sell out every game, and there is a huge waiting list for them. But many of those are held by brokers and companies, and the Brokers won't sell them less then 2x market. So while every game is a sellout, there is basically no access for avg fan to see the Giants. That is also why the preseason games have attendence of zero

It still boggles my mind that the Falcons can't fill a 70,000 seat stadium every game, but the Bulldogs can fill a 90,000 seat stadium.

It's not even an Atlanta thing.

LA can't keep a pro team, but UCLA and USC have stadiums that seat 90,000+?

UCLA ain't selling out shit in football.

And pre-Pete Carroll, I doubt USC was either.

Also, no one takes into account that Atlanta's metro area is one of the largest in terms of miles.

Again, this not going to the stadium is an epidemic across the country. Why go to a stadium where feeding your family plus tickets will cost you three figures when you can sit at home, watch your huge HD TV and get a Pizza Hut value box for $20 to feed the rugrats?

Plus you can pause and take a nap.

"Your typical Atlanta fan -- who is probably from another city since so few are actually from ATL"

Then I guess the Yankees don't deserve to ever win anything either.

Also, why in the heck should I pay a gazillion bucks for a shitty product?

Look at Cinci, they have a playoff football team this year and they nearly had blackouts for almost every game this season. Their fans are sick of their ownership.

People show up to Falcons games, but I don't blame them for ignoring the Hawks/Thrashers and certainly not supporting the Braves because they break our hearts every damn year. The definition of insanity is doing the same thing over and over again.

Back