• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Hitting the reset button on your life

Probably too young to be considered a reset, but it certainly felt like one. First couple of years out of college were lost years, didn't have direction, wasn't successful in a job that was wrong for me and I hated, moved back in with the parents for small stretches, generally depressed and high strung with anxiety. Definitely was in a rut/routine that I didn't like, but at least it was familiar. One day I said fuck it, I'm moving to a city where I actually want to live and going to put my best foot forward at the things I really want to do but everyone around me would probably discourage. One week later I told everyone who needed to know, a week after that I was gone. Didn't know anyone, had never visited, didn't have a job and maybe enough money to make it 2 months, didn't even know where I was going to live.

And just like that, when you are doing what you think is right and you have no choice but to make it work out, you end up with a significantly better job, better friends, best living situation you've ever had, and generally just enjoying life.

I moved from Winston to Abu Dhabi to Alaska to Chicago. I think those would all qualify as resets.

I just put in my notice at the company I've worked for since 2001. Pretty tough decision only because I've been there so long, but pretty obvious from a career standpoint. Any time you feel that comfortable at a job, you've probably surpassed your position. Challenging yourself and what you're accustomed to is usually a good thing. While I've never permanently picked up and moved to a different place longterm, I've spent many years traveling outside of my "home". It's not easy for everyone, but I'd imagine if you're looking for change, you'll end up embracing it.

Raleigh/Durham, which outside of 4 years in Winston was where I'd lived all my life, to Austin TX

Austin is probably the best city to do what you did. Cheap to live, great job market and it's largely composed of 20 somethings who are in the same boat as you in terms of career aspirations.

I knew people who did what you did except they moved to NYC. Didn't work out so well.

When y'all hit the reset button did you do a 2wk+ vacation in between jobs (like Hoops did with the AT)?

I sort of just did one career wise. I was traveling full time for work and was coasting but making bank, realized I wasn't challenged at all and was gone from home about 100% of the time. Took a chance and ended up in Charlotte and am busting my ass but the job and career potential has improved dramatically.

Also dated a chick for like 5 years from mid college-mid 20's, had the getting hitched talk at some points, put on like 30 lbs in college, got super comfortable... that whole thing. Realized it just wasn't going to work out long term. Cut the cord and moved out of Raleigh to restart and lost about 60 lbs since then to the point where I'm in better shape now than I was when I was playing linebacker in HS. Ended up being the best decision ever.

I just put in my notice at the company I've worked for since 2001. Pretty tough decision only because I've been there so long, but pretty obvious from a career standpoint. Any time you feel that comfortable at a job, you've probably surpassed your position. Challenging yourself and what you're accustomed to is usually a good thing. While I've never permanently picked up and moved to a different place longterm, I've spent many years traveling outside of my "home". It's not easy for everyone, but I'd imagine if you're looking for change, you'll end up embracing it.

Do you have another job lined up already?

Probably too young to be considered a reset, but it certainly felt like one. First couple of years out of college were lost years, didn't have direction, wasn't successful in a job that was wrong for me and I hated, moved back in with the parents for small stretches, generally depressed and high strung with anxiety. Definitely was in a rut/routine that I didn't like, but at least it was familiar. One day I said fuck it, I'm moving to a city where I actually want to live and going to put my best foot forward at the things I really want to do but everyone around me would probably discourage. One week later I told everyone who needed to know, a week after that I was gone. Didn't know anyone, had never visited, didn't have a job and maybe enough money to make it 2 months, didn't even know where I was going to live.

And just like that, when you are doing what you think is right and you have no choice but to make it work out, you end up with a significantly better job, better friends, best living situation you've ever had, and generally just enjoying life.

I'm been in this place for the last year or two and I'm about to make a similar move in two weeks. I'll let the Pit know how it turns out.

Austin is probably the best city to do what you did. Cheap to live, great job market and it's largely composed of 20 somethings who are in the same boat as you in terms of career aspirations.

I knew people who did what you did except they moved to NYC. Didn't work out so well.

Welp guess I should of read down 3 more posts before I chimed in. ATX will be my new home in two weeks. Doesn't hurt that I'm apartment/dog sitting for a friend the first couple weeks, which helps financially and logistically.

Last edited:
5 years ago I quit my job, got engaged and moved to Maine w/out knowing anything about the state, knowing anyone or a having a new job lined up so my wife could pursue grad school.

Do you have another job lined up already?

Nope. I'm thinking of going in a couple new directions, but I'd have little problem finding work in my previous field if things don't work out. I felt like quitting my current job was the only way to motivate myself to move forward.

Yep. Did it in 2004. I was 36 and had been in the same job/career since 1991 (teaching H.S.) in the same place (Northern Virginia). Moved to California and went in to an entirely different industry. Couldn't have worked out better. Primarily, it did exactly what you asked in your OP....it "reset" my life. Best move I have ever made.

I did back in 2005, I quit my job, packed up and moved to Denmark for 6 months to do fieldwork. And then when I moved back I was in insurance which blew, so I did it again by getting into grad school and moving to the STL.

Back