• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Holder to Resign

Reagan reforming the Tax code was a major accomplishment. It was majorly messed up.

Not saying Ike wasn't a good President, but anybody who was in office at that time was going to preside over a huge period of economic growth and prosperity.

Ike's infrastructure investment won't be duplicated anytime soon by the 'Pubs. The whole point of the Laffer Curve was to find the tax rate sweet spot where revenues were maximized; Grover Norquist and his ilk are looking to minimize revenues to do away with government. Brownback's Kansas is a fiscal train wreck. It's trickled over to Pat Roberts' race where he had to bring in both Jeb and Palin to shore up GOP partisans.

Reagan reforming the Tax code was a major accomplishment. It was majorly messed up.

Not saying Ike wasn't a good President, but anybody who was in office at that time was going to preside over a huge period of economic growth and prosperity.

Reagan's economic policies are why the middle class is shrinking so dramatically.

Reagan's economic policies are why the middle class is shrinking so dramatically.

So...it is Bush's fault AND Reagan's fault that the Obama Administration has failed to deliver on its promises for the middle class.

e80mrt.jpg

You know it is year six when even RJ is tired of blaming Bush for this Administration's failures. Had to go back to Reagan. LOL. Let me guess, by 2016 it will be Rutherford Hayes's fault that Hillary voted to go to War in Iraq and William McKinley really let us all down in Benghazi.

Last edited:
Ike's infrastructure investment won't be duplicated anytime soon by the 'Pubs. The whole point of the Laffer Curve was to find the tax rate sweet spot where revenues were maximized; Grover Norquist and his ilk are looking to minimize revenues to do away with government. Brownback's Kansas is a fiscal train wreck. It's trickled over to Pat Roberts' race where he had to bring in both Jeb and Palin to shore up GOP partisans.

I don't think anyone will be able to do that much infrastructure, although we need it. We also need a new electrical grid.

1. I don't agree with that. As many liberals point out, looking at Reagan's policies now they were quite moderate. He shored up SS, was in favor of means testing and raised taxes in other areas where needed.

2. That's kinda like the conservatives that blamed the housing crisis on the CRA. Many of the factors that have hurt the middle class didn't start developing until the 90s.

What changed your outlook after 2004?

I'll admit the Clinton / Lewinsky witch hunt is what finally pushed me to the left after voting for Dole in '96.

If you are referring to my previous post on this thread, I was jokingly referring 2004 as the last time RJ voted for a GOP POTUS.

1. I don't agree with that. As many liberals point out, looking at Reagan's policies now they were quite moderate. He shored up SS, was in favor of means testing and raised taxes in other areas where needed.

2. That's kinda like the conservatives that blamed the housing crisis on the CRA. Many of the factors that have hurt the middle class didn't start developing until the 90s.

Without question, as compared to Republicans of today, Reagan was moderate. That doesn't change the fact that trickle down economics, and the GOP's strict adherence to it, has been a major factor in decimating the middle class.

his attacks on collective bargaining and allowing scab workers were also factors in harming the middle class.

The interstate system was for national defense not infrastructure.

The interstate system was for national defense not infrastructure.

First post about interstate system:

"He was strongly behind building the interstate highway system and other infrastructure. He understood and acted on how infrastructure improves defense, business and the economy."

"Collective bargaining" is the most misleading term in the history of the world . What's collective about some strong arm third party forcing you to pay then money so that they can slightly help you, and makes themselves rich. It's the modern version of sharecropping.

Without question, as compared to Republicans of today, Reagan was moderate. That doesn't change the fact that trickle down economics, and the GOP's strict adherence to it, has been a major factor in decimating the middle class.

his attacks on collective bargaining and allowing scab workers were also factors in harming the middle class.

So Reagan=RJ?

"Collective bargaining" is the most misleading term in the history of the world . What's collective about some strong arm third party forcing you to pay then money so that they can slightly help you, and makes themselves rich. It's the modern version of sharecropping.

Stop asking questions, Brasky. No one needs your questions. Fall in line quietly and move along.

What do you think about Obama extending the Bush tax cuts, rj?

I think it was wrong, but he had no choice. The House would have shut down the country for months had he not done what he did.

Whereas, not prosecuting Wall Street, bankers, brokers and mortgage brokers is black and white issue of right and wrong, the Bush tax cuts and GITMO aren't. Those two are things a POTUS cannot do unilaterally.

Process, not results, are protected. There's no requirement that the employer agree to anything as long as they're negotiating in good faith. Not to mention I think CBAs provide a valuable check on abuse of employer's power (of course that implicitly maintains that I do believe employers should not be entitled to run their company in absolutely any way they see fit, i.e. I believe in regulating the marketplace). To say that labor unions are like sharecropping is questionable.

I think it was wrong, but he had no choice. The House would have shut down the country for months had he not done what he did.

Whereas, not prosecuting Wall Street, bankers, brokers and mortgage brokers is black and white issue of right and wrong, the Bush tax cuts and GITMO aren't. Those two are things a POTUS cannot do unilaterally.

Amazing how "powerless" he was on tax cuts and GITMO, while grabbing unprecedented amounts of Executive power for many of his most notable "accomplishments" otherwise. You see things through some damn fine rose tinted glasses.

If that's true,
a) why are you calling the tax cuts "the Bush tax cuts"; Shouldn't you--by your own standard---call them the "Well, not entirely Bush tax cuts"?;
b) third request: how did Gtmo get here, but for a President unilaterally doing so;
c) explain this:

Back