• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Home made pizza thread

Sgt Hulka

Board Big Toe
Reaction score
I got a couple of pizza crusts and know what I am going to do with the first one, but I am looking for suggestions for the second/third.

My first one:

Pre Heat Oven to 425.

Brush crust with olive oil.

Spread pesto and add fresh, minced basil.

Top with Feta, quartered marinated artichoke hearts and chopped vidalia onion.

Bring 'em on!

I really want to get into the homemade pizza thing. But the last time I made one at my parents' house the crust stuck on my mom's pampered chef stone and it was a bitch to try to scrape slices off. Recommendations on homemade pizza making equipment?

I just use the throw away aluminum pie sheets from the grocery store. I'm lazy about cleaning dishes and try to avoid it if I can. I have never had a problem.

The correct answer is fresh pineapple and virginia ham, with olive oil on the crust and mozzerela (spelling) cheese. Use a light sauce for your base. You can add some pepper flakes if you like. This is simple and hard to beat. The fresh pineapple is key. You can also add onions if that is your thing - which it sometimes is for me. Enjoy.

Last edited:
I really want to get into the homemade pizza thing. But the last time I made one at my parents' house the crust stuck on my mom's pampered chef stone and it was a bitch to try to scrape slices off. Recommendations on homemade pizza making equipment?

just use a lot of cornmeal when you're rolling out the dough. I put the cornmeal in a metal shaker to make it easier to cover the dough. I roll the dough on a big pizza peel I got from william-sonoma, and shake a lot of cornmeal on it. It slides easily from peel to stone and I've never had a problem with sticking.

I got a couple of pizza crusts and know what I am going to do with the first one, but I am looking for suggestions for the second/third.

My first one:

Pre Heat Oven to 425.

Brush crust with olive oil.

Spread pesto and add fresh, minced basil.

Top with Feta, quartered marinated artichoke hearts and chopped vidalia onion.

Bring 'em on!

i used to make mine very, very similar to this. but i did sundried tomatoes too. you should try throwing them in there sometime...you won't be disappointed :)

I've found that parchment paper works really well. Put the crust on the parchment and then cut around the crust to get rid of the excess paper. Then just use a pizza peel to slide the pizza and parchment paper straight onto the stone. When the pizza is ready, it should just slide right back on the peel without sticking to the stone.

just use a lot of cornmeal when you're rolling out the dough. I put the cornmeal in a metal shaker to make it easier to cover the dough. I roll the dough on a big pizza peel I got from william-sonoma, and shake a lot of cornmeal on it. It slides easily from peel to stone and I've never had a problem with sticking.

Cornmeal works well for us, though I admit I might try the parchment paper also mentioned.

homemade pizza is one of my favorite things to make. Just experiment with toppings...if it sounds good in your head, it probably is. My go-to is prosciutto, banana peppers, LOT of spinach, and a couple other toppings im forgetting right now.

I buy the ready made crusts, extra thin type. Brush very lightly with olive oil, then spread pesto over the crust. Top with shredded chicken breast, thinly sliced onions and green peppers (I microwave these a minute or so to make them a little soft and draw some of the "juice" out of them,) and sprinkle generously with feta cheese (or good ol' mozzarella, if you're in that mood.) You can substitute quartered (and separated) artichoke hearts for the onions/green peppers if you prefer. If I have them on hand, I often toss on a few mushroom slices. Bake at 425 for about 8 minutes.

The correct answer is fresh pineapple and virginia ham, with olive oil on the crust and mozzerela (spelling) cheese. Use a light sauce for your base. You can add some pepper flakes if you like. This is simple and hard to beat. The fresh pineapple is key. You can also add onions if that is your thing - which it sometimes is for me. Enjoy.

Add a few jalapenos to this for a surprising win.

Buy a pizza stone. They are relatively cheap, and they are invaluable to a crispy crust. The key to a dynamite pizza is high heat. I never heat my stove to anything less than 475.

Pizza sauce is ridiculously easy to make. 1 can tomato sauce, 1 tiny can tomato paste, salt, pepper, basil, garlic, oregano. Mix - but do not cook. (You can cook it, but you should let it chill to room temp before you use it.)

My current favorite is a chopped garlic & olive oil base with spinach, fresh basil, caramelized onions, and mozzarella pizza.

If you're near a Trader Joe's, their dough is dynamite.

If you have a grill, they make amazing pizzas. Toss the crust on, let it char, pull it off, put toppings on the charred side, and place it back on the grill on the other side. The best of these pizzas are the ones with grilled veggies.

The key to a dynamite pizza is high heat.

From my experience, this is absolutely correct. I experimented for a bit and now cook ours at 500.

We get our pizza dough from Harris Teeter, which has both white and wheat dough balls in little bags in the pre-made section next to the sushi.

I've never quite figured out the best way to use the pizza stone though. Do you guys preheat the stone in the oven, then transfer the dough and pizza to the already-hot stone for cooking? Or do you make the pizza on the stone without preheating the stone?

I made some taco pizza the other night. I got the pre0made crust and spread a thin layer of re-friend beans then cooked up some ground beef with jalapenos and taco seasoning, sprinkled that one. layer of Mexican blend cheese. When it came out I topped it with salsa, lettuce and sour cream. So very good. and also veryyy filling.

From my experience, this is absolutely correct. I experimented for a bit and now cook ours at 500.

We get our pizza dough from Harris Teeter, which has both white and wheat dough balls in little bags in the pre-made section next to the sushi.

I've never quite figured out the best way to use the pizza stone though. Do you guys preheat the stone in the oven, then transfer the dough and pizza to the already-hot stone for cooking? Or do you make the pizza on the stone without preheating the stone?

yes. I leave my stone in the oven all the time, just because it's a good heat retainer when I'm cooking other stuff (i.e., keeps the temp in the oven more even after opening the door). I preheat the stone for about an hour before cooking the pizza on there. I've found it's the only way to get the bottom crust really crisp.

we make our homemade pizza on the grill. We definitely use corn meal. If you try the grill method put the dough on the grill without toppings for a few minutes to firm it up. If you just throw in with all the toppings it might sag through the grill bars.

Cornmeal works well for us, though I admit I might try the parchment paper also mentioned.

We used to do the cornmeal method and found that it still stuck to the stone and had a lot of grittiness to the crust, thanks to the cornmeal. Some friends turned us on to the parchment paper, and it works really, really well. The pizzas go on and off the stone so much easier, plus you don't get that gritty feel/taste from all of the cornmeal.

As for the stone, we leave ours in the oven (on the bottom rack) all of the time as well. If we do pizza, we just heat the oven (to like 500 degrees or so), and then put the pizza straight onto the stone.

Back