• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Home made pizza thread

Speaking of pizza, if you're ever in Dallas do yourself a favor and go to Deep Ellum and get pizza at Cane Rosso. It is delicious and worth however long you have to wait to get in.

Anyone use a pizza stone with a gas grill? I think it helps cook the pizza evenly, but not sure it matters....

Anyone use a pizza stone with a gas grill? I think it helps cook the pizza evenly, but not sure it matters....

You don't really need a stone on the grill, but it absolutely works. You don't have to worry about putting the toppings on later if you use the stone.

I don't know what happened to my stone, but it has cracked into a yin-yang shape. Still works, though.

Just helps cook the bottom faster. You can slide the whole pizza onto the stone rather than cooking the crust first then putting toppings on later

I am definitely going with the high heat idea. Is there a time that those who are cooking @ 500 degrees are good with or is it a "just look at it and you'll know when it is done" kinda thing?

As to the grill, I have a Weber charcoal and that just seems too much a pain to do.

Thanks for all of the suggestions.

I do my pizzas on a stone at 475 (after preheating the stone for an hour) and it takes them about 8-10 minutes to cook, generally. Depends also on the thickness of your crust. I usually roll mine out fairly thin.

Thanks, BBD. I prefer thin crust as well.

I'm going with DeacNutt's Garlic/Olive Oil/Spinach/Basil/onion pizza next.

Then the Pineapple/jalapeño will be after that. I am going to save the mexican pizza for when we have more people over.

Last edited:
we make our homemade pizza on the grill. We definitely use corn meal. If you try the grill method put the dough on the grill without toppings for a few minutes to firm it up. If you just throw in with all the toppings it might sag through the grill bars.

This...we do this all of the time. We make the dough in our Cuisinart. We take the raw dough and cook in on the grates for about 2 minutes, rotating it 1/4 turn every 30 seconds. we then take the dough and turn it so the grilled side is up, add the toppings, and then grill for about 5 minutes more. Lalark has experienced this yummy goodness.

My wife made homemade pizzas last night with wohle wheat crust, fig spread, topped with bleu cheese and proscuitto.

You definitely need to make your own dough if you're doing homemade pizza. There's really no other way to do it.

Stones are great. I recommend heating it in the oven before putting the pizza on it. Also, if you are lazy like me, you can buy Fresh Market's pizza sauce for probably less than it will cost you to make your own. (I buy the small containers for about a dollar and there is enough sauce for me to make about 4 small pizzas.)

This...we do this all of the time. We make the dough in our Cuisinart. We take the raw dough and cook in on the grates for about 2 minutes, rotating it 1/4 turn every 30 seconds. we then take the dough and turn it so the grilled side is up, add the toppings, and then grill for about 5 minutes more. Lalark has experienced this yummy goodness.

I cannot contribute to this thread except to say to do whatever this man says. He and OSDtoy make the best pizza in the world.

Because I'm in a good mood, here's my Deep Dish Pizza recipe.

Combine:

2C Flour
3TBsp Olive Oil
Salt
Pepper
1 Packet Yeast + 2/3C Hot Water

Kneed for 5 min and let rise for 30 minutes.

Preheat oven to 425F

In 12" cast iron pan, brown 1lbs sausage (spicy). Drain the sausage and set aside. Wipe out the sausage crumbles. Let the pan cool.

Press the dough into the bottom of the pan and up the sides.
Cover the bottom in slices of mozzarella cheese. Layer the following

Sausage
4 Sliced Roma Tomatoes
Diced Bell Pepper
Diced Small Onion
Diced 3 Cloves Garlic
Pizza Sauce (can't remember name brand I buy)
Mushrooms
Pepperoni
Sprinkle with Oregano

Cover top with provolone cheese. Bake at 425 until the cheese starts to brown (~25-30min).

Last edited:
You definitely need to make your own dough if you're doing homemade pizza. There's really no other way to do it.

i'd still argue that the trader joe's pizza crust is a pretty good substitute if you're feeling lazy/impatient.

had never thought of grilling pizza.

...will be doing this soon.

Because I'm in a good mood, here's my Deep Dish Pizza recipe.

Combine:

2C Flour
3TBsp Olive Oil
Salt
Pepper
1 Packet Yeast + 2/3C Hot Water

Kneed for 5 min and let rise for 30 minutes.

Preheat oven to 425F

In 12" cast iron pan, brown 1lbs sausage (spicy). Drain the sausage and set aside. Wipe out the sausage crumbles. Let the pan cool.

Press the dough into the bottom of the pan and up the sides.
Cover the bottom in slices of mozzarella cheese. Layer the following

Sausage
4 Sliced Roma Tomatoes
Diced Bell Pepper
Diced Small Onion
Diced 3 Cloves Garlic
Pizza Sauce (can't remember name brand I buy)
Mushrooms
Pepperoni

Cover top with provolone cheese. Bake at 425 until the cheese starts to brown (~25-30min).

that's a lot more yeast than I use, and I use about the same amount of flour and oil. How is the texture?

that's a lot more yeast than I use, and I use about the same amount of flour and oil. How is the texture?

Never seemed out of the ordinary to me. Maybe a little more airy, but it's great after baking.

Honestly, I stole the dough recipe from the back of the pizza yeast package.

Back