• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Home made pizza thread

I just made my best pizza ever using the tips from this thread. Pre-heated the pizza stone. Made the pizza on the peel and slid it onto the stone using a ton of cornmeal. Baked it for a while and managed not to burn my house down, even while the wife is out of town. Delicious.

This thread inspired me to make homemade pizza the other night for dinner. Used my pizza stone and used the cornmeal trick mentioned above which worked well. All the tips on here were great! I made the dough in my bread machine and then cooked it in the oven on the preheated stone.

Best toppings were caramelized onions, green bell peppers and sausage.

Just got a pizza stone for my bridal shower. Can't wait to use it and these tips! Might have to revisit this thread and ask some questions though.

Also - remember not to use soap on your pizza stone. It really doesn't even need water. just use a hard bristle brush to get off anything baked on and leave the rest on as seasoning.

Also - remember not to use soap on your pizza stone. It really doesn't even need water. just use a hard bristle brush to get off anything baked on and leave the rest on as seasoning.

QFT...the stones will absorb water and this is BAD...like BBD said, use a hard bristle brush, we have even used a razor blade scraper as well for cleaning.

My biggest challenge has always been making a successful transfer from the peel to the hot stone. The key I found last night (and had been mentioned earlier on this thread) is to just use a crapload of cornmeal on both the peel and the stone. As soon as I thought I had enough cornmeal, I added more.

That allowed me to slide the constructed pizza from the peel to the hot stone without experiencing 3rd degree burns or having the entire thing fall into the bottom of the oven.

I tried to make a Neapolitan style pizza at home. As the picture shows, it is impossible to do without super fresh ingredients and a 900 degree oven. It tasted fine, but it was nowhere close to a true Neapolitan pie.

Any tips for making a thinner crust?

9rliko.jpg

use a rolling pin? I roll mine pretty thin.

Also, what do you put in your dough? I don't use any baking soda and probably less yeast than usual, so that it doesn't rise in the oven. My crust is more cracker-like than bread-like

This is my dough recipe:

½ cup warm water
2¼ tsp. instant yeast
4 cups (22 oz.) bread flour, plus more for dusting
1½ tsp. salt
1¼ cup water, at room temperature
2 tbsp. extra-virgin olive oil

I use almost exactly the same recipe, except about 1/3 that amount of yeast (and replacing half of the flour with whole wheat flour). I get very thin crusts that crisp up really well.

aWAR is putting our pizza stone to use with a half ham/pineapple, half spinach/mushroom pizza. :drool:

Last week the wife aka TopDeac made a really good BBQ chicken pizza with jalapenos, red onions, and smoked gouda with a homemade crust from this Pioneer woman cookbook we both really like. Delicious. We do need to invest in a pizza stone though when we move into a house.

Thanks man, congrats on your wedding too! I really enjoyed that pic of you and aWAR rolling the quad.

Not a gozney but do have an ooni and we really like it

I got the wood/charcoal Ooni oven. Pizza comes out great and crispy, just haven't gotten my crust flavor up to the flavor levels I'm kneeding.

Back