• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Homebrewing Beer

I got a hold of Heady Topper last week and I'm trying to culture the yeast from it, but 2 days and no action so it might not be viable :/

Interested in brewing some Ballast Point recipes? Apparently, in their brew store in SD, they have notebooks of their grain bills. I love Ballast Point, so I'll have to try a few.

http://imgur.com/a/siQSF#0

Unfortunately, I don't see the big dogs in that list. No Sculpin, Tongue Buckler, Black Eye or Victory at Sea.

Does anyone have experience making vanilla beers and/or homemaking vanilla extract? I have an idea for a creamsicle beer with vanilla and orange peel. Wondering whether I should go with storebought extract or try to make some with Buffalo Trace white dog.

Does anyone have experience making vanilla beers and/or homemaking vanilla extract? I have an idea for a creamsicle beer with vanilla and orange peel. Wondering whether I should go with storebought extract or try to make some with Buffalo Trace white dog.

I have done a few vanilla beers. I have read about guys adding vanilla bean during the boil but I haven't tried that. I have always done it afterwards. Take three or four vanilla beans and split them in half lengthwise. Soak them in a cap-full of vodka the day you brew. This draws out the vanilla flavor and sanitizes. Seal it in Tupperware. After a week pitch the whole thing (vodka too) into the fermentor. It will give you a subtle vanilla flavor. Do more beans if you want vanilla overload.

Sounds pretty good! Belgian style base or like a stout?

Last cream ale I did I added some maltodextrin for even creamier mouth feel and only used the slightest amount of vanilla, and it was really nice.

Since I've been trying to lose weight, I've limited the amount of homebrew I've been drinking. I had a keg of an IPA I brewed back last winter that was maybe half drank. I poured one the other night and sadly, it had turned bad. Looks like I'll be brewing again in the not so distant future. Hopefully I'll remember how, its been a long time.

When she showed it to me yesterday, we both agreed that we were ordering that kit. I'm going to try and throw in a second as well to save on the shipping. That, and I've got 2 kegs to use. I'm excited, first homebrew since Nov of 2014.

We found a 6 pack of 22 oz irish reds I brewed the last time tucked away in a cabinet and broke into them last night. Oh so good.

Back