• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Homebrewing Beer

tsywake

Sheikh of Smoke
Staff member
Reaction score
All knowing Quad, I come to you for suggestions on brewing your own beer. What are good websites to order supplies from, what beers are easiest to make for a beginner. I got one of these for Christmas:

http://www.monsterbrew.com/Pro...AmberAleKit.cfm#
MaestroHomebrewKitwithAmberAleKit1.jpg

I've got quite a few friends saving me bottles, so I wont have that added expense. I am waiting until I have a couple cases worth of bottles before I start. If things are successful, and I enjoy doing it, I plan to upgrade to a glass carbouy and start doing it in kegs rather than bottling them.

Old grapevine pergola alongside new grapevine trellis:
180774_602697337613_7204697_34447665_862908_n.jpg

Completed grapevinetrellis with hops trellis in background:
190101_604834988743_7204697_34483091_3734172_n.jpg

Crappy lighting on this one, but you can see the 3 hops trellises, with the cable strung on top at around 12 ft high.
184981_604835028663_7204697_34483093_4207004_n.jpg

Where the hops and grapevine trellises tie in together.
183225_604835038643_7204697_34483094_4080531_n.jpg

**update**
Got 4 hops plants in the mail yesterday, my 2 Fuggle and 2 Centennial. I hope to have them in the ground this weekend. I've got everything set up, except for getting my pump and copper coil going to start brewing, so hopefully that'll be another weekend project. Maybe I'll get brewing this weekend.

I had a buddy who made a brown ale for a chemistry project. It was delicious and pretty easy to craft.

Impressive - I know plenty of people who've brewed their own beer, but I don't know anyone who has grown their own hops. I like that idea (not that I'll have a place to do it any time in the foreseeable future)

Impressive - I know plenty of people who've brewed their own beer, but I don't know anyone who has grown their own hops. I like that idea (not that I'll have a place to do it any time in the foreseeable future)

I grew up working on a farm, so I like to grow things on my own. I know exactly what has been put on the plants and dont have to worry about anyone contaminating it or recalling products. Plus I enjoy doing things myself. It'll suck if I have zero interest in brewing my own beer a year or so down the road, but I havent wasted a lot of money on it.

You want to sell some hops once you get them grown?

I actually own that first kit you posted. Works very well.

Sure. I doubt I'd be brewing enough during the year to use them all up anyways. Supposedly they really start producing the second season, kind of like asparagus.

All knowing Quad, I come to you for suggestions on brewing your own beer. What are good websites to order supplies from, what beers are easiest to make for a beginner.

Brew an ale with heavy flavor profile in order to mask any mistakes that may happen.

I've had my first batch in the fermenting bucket for about a week now. I have to say it was exciting to see it start bubbling and I knew something was going on in there.

I was fortunate to brew with a few friends before getting my own gear, and still rely on them for miscellaneous items I haven't acquired yet.

The copper coil wort chiller makes the process so much easier.

In the long run, is brewing your own beer cheaper than buying non-macrobrew beers?

I believe the short answer is Yes. But I haven't done it, so I'm sure others can give you more specifics.

In the long run, is brewing your own beer cheaper than buying non-macrobrew beers?

I make most of my beers for about $20/5 gallons. (less than $10/case equivalency) So it's way cheaper to make it yourself. Only expense is the overhead of the startup equipment. And the product is a ton better than the micros you pay $8/6-pack for.

I make most of my beers for about $20/5 gallons. (less than $10/case equivalency) So it's way cheaper to make it yourself. Only expense is the overhead of the startup equipment. And the product is a ton better than the micros you pay $8/6-pack for.

If you want to save money, stop drinking entirely:it's an expensive hobby either way. Craft brewing is time-intensive. Don't get into it to save money. Get into it b/c you love the process, art and science.

That said, I enjoy it more and more each time I do it, so once you get the bug, the chore-parts of the job are less bothersome.

Tsy, when you get a bumper crop, what are my chances of securing some? :D

Pretty good, in a year or so. I planted the rhizomes yesterday, 3 Fuggle and 3 Centennial. My only concern is the strength of the vines making their way through a thin layer of mulch I put down around them. Most of the larger hop producers I checked out online used dirt mounds, but I went with mulch to help keep weeds down.

I've got a few pictures that I'll try to post later on today.

Back