• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Homebrewing Beer

MillerCoors stores ingredients on my dock in Kernersville. The dock always smells like hops and honey. Sometimes there is a lemony scent. Haven't figured out where that comes from.

Here's something new:

Williams_Warn_white-264x300.jpg

http://www.williamswarn.com/

looks like it's only available in New Zealand right now, and incredibly expensive, but the idea is interesting/impressive

I'm going to try making hard cider next and then probably ginger beer.

Tremendous effort yesterday. Bottled 5 gallons of strawberry blonde, cleaned the fermenter, and then dove right back in with five gallons of something American Brewmaster called Saison. Pretty stoked about have ten gallons on the way. Irish Red Ale on deck.

Tremendous effort yesterday. Bottled 5 gallons of strawberry blonde, cleaned the fermenter, and then dove right back in with five gallons of something American Brewmaster called Saison. Pretty stoked about have ten gallons on the way. Irish Red Ale on deck.

Nice... I just transferred my caribou slobber to its secondary, and I thought I did a lot on a monday

I'm going to cheat and try Mr. Beer's Cider mix first. I'm going to add a little ginger and honey to the recipe.

If anyone has a ginger beer recipe, I would love to see it.

Cider is dirt simple to brew. I really recommend not using kits and just waiting til the fall. Grab gallons of fresh squeezed stuff from a farmer's market to use, it will be 100x more tasty.

Keep in mind honey is a sugar and will convert to alcohol. I've done a batch of cider before using only honey as the only fermentable and it was tasty, but I prefer to use something dark like brown sugar or molasses.

I'm putting cider on the back burner for now and will focus on hard ginger beer. I have procured ginger beer extract. I will add in dextrose, lactose, a little light dry malt, a few ounces of fresh shredded ginger, and a little lemon juice. I will be using Coopers Ale yeast with additional yeast nutrients to make sure my batch truly ferments. As best I can tell, I should let this ferment a week and then bottle with a minuscule dose of priming sugar. I have meshed together about 20 different recipes into something that seems like it would work. I'm going to keep it as simple as possible and use my Mr. Beer set to make 2 gallons. If it kicks ass, I'll size it up to 5 gallons and share the recipe.

I'm putting cider on the back burner for now and will focus on hard ginger beer. I have procured ginger beer extract. I will add in dextrose, lactose, a little light dry malt, a few ounces of fresh shredded ginger, and a little lemon juice. I will be using Coopers Ale yeast with additional yeast nutrients to make sure my batch truly ferments. As best I can tell, I should let this ferment a week and then bottle with a minuscule dose of priming sugar. I have meshed together about 20 different recipes into something that seems like it would work. I'm going to keep it as simple as possible and use my Mr. Beer set to make 2 gallons. If it kicks ass, I'll size it up to 5 gallons and share the recipe.

Good luck! :plos:

Just mixed up my batch and put it in the fermenter. My kitchen smells awesome!

I didnt take any pictures yet, but my fuggles have come up through the ground. Still waiting on the centennials, but it is giving me hope. For those of you who are more experienced with hops, is there an easy way to tell the difference between two types by smell or look? Can you break them apart, and tell the difference?

I didnt take any pictures yet, but my fuggles have come up through the ground. Still waiting on the centennials, but it is giving me hope. For those of you who are more experienced with hops, is there an easy way to tell the difference between two types by smell or look? Can you break them apart, and tell the difference?

My hops knowledge tops out at knowing that Centennial is a cultivar of Fuggle, so they will probably look similar. Also, Fuggle is slang for snuggling that leads to sex. Maybe these links will help.

http://beeradvocate.com/beer/101/hops
http://www.homebrewtalk.com/wiki/index.php/Fuggle
http://www.homebrewtalk.com/wiki/index.php/Centennial

I think J. K. Rowling missed an opportunity to drop the epithet "Muggle Fuggler"

Wow, this batch is very active. The ginger bits keep bouncing up and down and there seems to be a current swishing around.

Will post pics later, but those of you who are Facebook friends with me, check out the new hops pics. 4 out of the six are already through the ground, and look like little marijuana plants. Not that I know what pot looks like.....

As promised, here are the hops pics. I can definitely tell they're in the same family of plants as pot. Hopefully the other two plants will break through soon, but even if they dont 4/6 is pretty good odds. They suggest planting them two per whole because many of them die off.

223204_636026336033_7204697_34591925_8273074_n.jpg

223576_636026450803_7204697_34591926_361683_n.jpg

Back