• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Homebrewing Beer

About to get this started. I've got two Places to store the stuff: a damp, cool basement or a hot, stuffy attic. My hunch is that the basement is the place to let it ferment, only because it feels like a wine feller (which ain't beer, I know).

Last edited:
About to get this started. I've got two Places to store the stuff: a damp, cool basement or a hot, stuffy attic. My hunch is that the basement is the place to let it ferment, only because it feels like a wine feller (which ain't beer, I know).

You're going to enjoy the process. I use the negative area behind the opened door into my seldom used formal dining room: dark, cool and out of the way. I've got my fermenter resting on a towel so the plastic won't scratch the floor. Frankly, I recommend an abundance of towels throughout the brewing, fermenting, bottling and conditioning process. Had my first case of exploding bottles (2) when we were out of town for Easter weekend. Resting the milkcrate full of conditioning bottles on a towel was a good call.

I usually get a giant trash bag and sit the case of bottles inside.
Haven't had an exploder yet though. I don't prime the entire batch because I don't trust it to have an equal enough distribution, so I put one teaspoon of sugar into each 22oz bottle.

Tremendous effort yesterday. Bottled 5 gallons of strawberry blonde, cleaned the fermenter, and then dove right back in with five gallons of something American Brewmaster called Saison. Pretty stoked about have ten gallons on the way. Irish Red Ale on deck.

manstown

Thanks for the input. Going to be a joint project with me and a buddy, so should be entertaining if nothing else.

Are you brewing from scratch or from a kit?

Not sure if I know the answer to that question, but was going to start with the buckets you posted originally (or something similar). So that sounds like a kit to me.

Basically, are you using ingredients from a kit (sounds like you are) or are you boiling your own grain and adding the fresh hops? If you were going to brew from scratch the first time, I was going to make a comment about how your cajones were much larger than mine.

Basically, are you using ingredients from a kit (sounds like you are) or are you boiling your own grain and adding the fresh hops? If you were going to brew from scratch the first time, I was going to make a comment about how your cajones were much larger than mine.

You know what I like to say, never challenge an idiot. But yeah, I think a kit to start for sure. If it goes well (or I guess sorta sucks) then I'll get more serious about it.

You know what I like to say, never challenge an idiot. But yeah, I think a kit to start for sure. If it goes well (or I guess sorta sucks) then I'll get more serious about it.

If you're using a can opener, it's a kit. If you own plastic bags full of heavy, syrup looking stuff, it's a kit.

Discdude made a batch last summer and it was awful. I think it had to do with less than ideal storing temperatures.

Moved my ginger beer to a secondary yesterday. Smelled like turpentine. Hopefully that will resolve itself.

If you're using a can opener, it's a kit. If you own plastic bags full of heavy, syrup looking stuff, it's a kit.

You do the real deal, right?

T, any thoughts on the kit you got for Christmas? The price is right.

My brother started at Christmas and has bottled 3 already. First was American Pale Ale, which was ok. Then I got him a Double Chocolate kit from Austin Brewer, which was good. His third one was Hefenweizen which was really good. Trying to decide what to get next. We may get a clone of Plimy the Elder kit, but if anyone has any suggestions.

Got about 10" on our hops. I'll post pics when we get a patch of sunlight one of these days.

Awesome. Mine are about 3" right now. I'll probably string up my lines this weekend. How do you dry yours? I've seen people use window screens to air dry them, but depending on when they are ready to harvest, I may try and use our salad tables.

Strung up my vines last night. 5/6 plants made it, losing one of the Centennials. Grapevines are also doing nicely.

Back