• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Homebrewing Beer

I've got a .22 with a massive scope, and a BB gun. My only problem is the direction I would snipe them from has a house in the distance. I've thought about buying a rubber snake and sticking it up there on the wire. It wouldnt be worth my fiance freaking out every time she sees a snake up there though.

I've got a .22 with a massive scope, and a BB gun. My only problem is the direction I would snipe them from has a house in the distance. I've thought about buying a rubber snake and sticking it up there on the wire. It wouldnt be worth my fiance freaking out every time she sees a snake up there though.

What about a shotgun? Choke it down real tight. I don't think birdshot would threaten any neighbors, assuming space out in Davie County is as my old boss described it.

That would work, but I dont have a shotgun as of right now. I suppose I could put some birdshot into my muzzle loader.

Ok, so what is the best beginner's kit? The one in the first post?

I mean, I love beer and know a little bit about it. But, I have no idea how to do my own home brew. I'm looking for a quality start up kit that I can add to if it becomes a passion.

I went with the one I linked in the initial post, because it was easy and supposed to be fool proof. The reviews I read said if you follow the directions to a T you will get solid beer, nothing like the quality you buy in the store, but enough to get your feet wet. Once I do a couple batches using that method, I'll probably venture out and try more complex stuff.

I'd got to a homebrew store to start at least. To me at least, there's something superior about talking things out with someone as opposed to just trying to learn from the interwebs.

Cracked the first of my Imperial Pale Ale this week. YUM. It's great because it has a nice hoppy profile with out being too hoppy like an IPA (I do like IPAs but sometimes you want something a little milder). Nice alcoholic taste with out killing you. I'm really intrigued because they always talk about how the water you use gives the beer a taste, and after doing 3 different ales (Belgian, IPA, and the Imp. PA) I definitely can pick it out. It's pretty cool. Kind of a little fruity kick (may also be my temps I'm fermenting at giving it that). Works really well with the two pale ales as they have less of a fruity profile naturally.

Now that those are done fermenting and carbonating, I'm going to move them downstairs to the basement where it's a touch cooler to get the stout that's been finicky in a warmer closet. See if agitation and a little warmth will get the carbonation where I like it. Then it's on to my piece de resistance: a barley wine. Going to treat that one like my baby.

IMPORTANT NEWS:

I had lunch today at First Street Draught House. I asked the bartender if they were still doing the cask ale once a month. He said yes, and that they'd probably do it next friday, and this time it was a Foothills beer they dry-hopped with the owner's hops THAT HE GROWS BEHIND THE BAR.

Verified: There is a trellis of hop vines behind First Street.

He apparently has a lot more at his house too. TSY, if you ask nicely you may be able to get some replacement shoots/clippings. Or you can just walk down during lunch and prune it ninja-like.

Nice! I just ordered stuff to make a strawberry blonde, which should be a good summer beer. TSY when are you expecting to harvest your crop?

I did this one; it was really, really good. You'll be happy with it.

It appears the surviving hops plants have really taken hold. They're growing much better now. Who knows, maybe they enjoy the heat of the summer? I doubt they'll grow large enough to harvest many hops this year, but it gives me hope for next year.

The damn June Bugs have destroyed my grapevines. For some reason they're especially bad this year. I've sprayed Sevin Dust on the fruitless plants, but my vines bearing fruit are having to fight their way through it. I've never seen them this bad. They're even chowing down on my garden.

It appears the surviving hops plants have really taken hold. They're growing much better now. Who knows, maybe they enjoy the heat of the summer? I doubt they'll grow large enough to harvest many hops this year, but it gives me hope for next year.

The damn June Bugs have destroyed my grapevines. For some reason they're especially bad this year. I've sprayed Sevin Dust on the fruitless plants, but my vines bearing fruit are having to fight their way through it. I've never seen them this bad. They're even chowing down on my garden.

Suggestion: In order to get a step ahead of the bugs on the grapevines, plant some roses at the grapevines (they can be knockouts which you don't have to dead head). Roses are early indicator and you can prevent the bugs from getting on the grapes.

That would work, but I dont have a shotgun as of right now. I suppose I could put some birdshot into my muzzle loader.

you can buy shot-shells for .22s

http://www.cheaperthandirt.com/64449-5.html

64449.jpg

I checked the hops plants again yesterday, and they've finally started to take root. I doubt I'll get very much if any crop off them this season as they're only about 5' tall right now. I'm seeing a few hops on them, but not enough to warrant trying to collect. I'll most likely let them grow this year and then just cut them off at the ground. They should perform better next year after they've had a year to root.

Bump this thread....just starting my own venture in home brewing. Haven't bought equipment yet, but me and 3 of my friends are dead set on co-oping a home brew / micro brew. I am having a hard time deciding if we should go straight to all grain considering we have a group of 4 to split the cost.

How are the hops coming? Would also love to obtain some of those fresh hops if you have extra. Anyone else still home brewing?

Started all grain brewing about two months back with a black IPA and a red rye ale. Both are drinking well, although the black IPA will hopefully smooth out a bit over time.

"Bottling" a dry-hopped Saison tomorrow. I just got a couple 5L mini kegs so that should expedite the bottling process considerably.

Next up is a Witbier that should be ready to usher in the new year.

I'm in year two as a homebrewer. I enjoy it as a hobby but I have discovered that you have to be careful: homebrew is BIG on calories.

I'm about to take the next step and build a home draft system. It looks like a keg-freezer with a wooden collar and taps pinned along the front side over a drip pan is the most efficient solution (youtube "Keezer" for a myriad of examples).

Anyone made this venture yet?

How are the hops coming? Would also love to obtain some of those fresh hops if you have extra. Anyone else still home brewing?

As I expected, they grew but didnt produce very much this first year, not even enough for one batch. If I can manage to keep them alive until next spring, I'm certain they'll produce much better.

Back