• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Homebrewing Beer

Celebrated Earth Day by planting two chinook and one fuggle rhizomes.

How'd the brew go deacfreak07?

No problems. We'll know for sure in about a month, I guess. Entire house smells like wort though. Wife did not so much love that aspect.

I feel like getting through my first brew with no boil overs is a good thing.

Thankfully I've never had issues with the hot break. I run all of my grains and hops through a hops spyder though. It makes cleanup after brewing much easier.

What did you make?

Have you brewed the Halycon yet? I came across some bottles from the first batch that I drank last night. Its still good, but I prefer it from the keg. Unless I'm forced to, I don't forsee myself bottling entire batches moving forward.

Have you brewed the Halycon yet? I came across some bottles from the first batch that I drank last night. Its still good, but I prefer it from the keg. Unless I'm forced to, I don't forsee myself bottling entire batches moving forward.

No, I haven't. I was going to today, but didn't because of the rain. I really want to use my new burner.

Trying my hand at washing yeast today. Just another step in reducing the costs of my brew. Hopefully this doesn't fail miserably. Worst case scenario, if something happens to them and they don't survive, I can always make a run to the store to pick up some moar.

I ended up capturing 4 pints of yeast, so I should be good to go for 4 future American Ale or IPA's. It really wasnt that difficult a process. I washed them twice, and each time the solution got progressively clearer. I let them sit for an hour in each level.

Anyone built a mash tun? What instructions did you use and are you happy with it?

Anyone built a mash tun? What instructions did you use and are you happy with it?

Several good videos online. Northern Brewer has an a la carte kit. I'm planning on buying their false bottom and other hardware, and getting a ten gallon cooler from Home Depot.

Back on the scout boards a few years ago, beachbum self banned himself for a period from the boards. He wasnt really banned, he just stopped posting. We called it a beachbumban.

Anyways, here's tuffalo's response bym:

I made one with a 10 gallon cooler from Home Depot (I think Lowes was just out of stock) and other parts from http://www.bargainfittings.com/. Bargain Fittings has a cooler kit section here. If bym (or anyone, for that matter) has a beersmith subscription, it's probably worthwhile to plug in some recipes and see if 10 gal or 5 or 7.5 makes the most sense. 10 gallons is more than almost any beer needs; my mash tun is a little big and annoying to get to temp for cold-weather brewing and there's times that a 5 or 7.5 gal cooler would work better. But I also brew outdoor in the garage so that shouldn't be as big a deal if bym is brewing indoors. And it's also not as big a deal at other times of year.
cleardot.gif

Just tapped the WH Honey Ale. Its damn good. Reminds me of a slightly sweeter version of Newcastle.

Just tapped the WH Honey Ale. Its damn good. Reminds me of a slightly sweeter version of Newcastle.

Thanks, Obama.

My Halcyon is ready to go to keg next week! I'll have my mash tun built by then and ready for all grain.

My Halcyon is ready to go to keg next week! I'll have my mash tun built by then and ready for all grain.
Mine is currently in the keg. I didn't secondary it this time, just spent an extra week in the primary. A couple more days and it'll be ready to tap.

I think I could spend the rest of the year just brewing saisons, love that style.

Back